RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cargo cover - from another car? (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 11:49 PM
Ivan330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Cargo cover - from another car? (need advice)

Hi all. I have a quite different problem with the cargo cover, it seems... (no squeaking/rattling noticed *knock on wood)

We bought our first Lexus, 2004 RX330, just this Sunday -
The salesman was kind enough to toss in the cargo cover for free. It was not in the RX when we test drove it, so the car did not have that tray equipped previously.

They had plenty of other RX330s, and I guess the salesman took the cargo cover off one of those...
Problem is, the tray installs nicely into the latches and works nicely, but the clips can not attach to the head supports of the rear seats!

I tried to squeeze the clips onto the metal support bars, but the clip diameter is too small > see pics. I remember seeing someone post here or on another forum about the clips on their cargo cover being too big and they would detach easily. Search returned nothing.

I don't know what part number this is. Looked on back, found (99181 00248) plastic support parts. Couldn't find this number anywhere in relation to an RX.

Looking closer, I saw that things do not line up > see pics. There becomes quite a gap in the cover without those clips connected. It is a little dissapointing to see this happen... but hey! I got it for free (sort of).

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where/how to find the part number on the cover?
2. Anyone know of cargo tray differences between models/years or RX 2nd gen? Can you comment on it?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Cargo cover - from another car? (need advice)-img_4176s.jpg  
Old 04-03-08, 11:52 PM
Ivan330
Driver School Candidate

The headrest and the clip spacing...
Attached Thumbnails Cargo cover - from another car? (need advice)-img_4178s.jpg  
Old 04-04-08, 06:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

They are not needed to line up, but the issue is the diameter of the post and the ID of the clips....something is not right....as they say in Japanese...OKASHINA!
Old 04-04-08, 07:55 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to work at Lexus. I think your problem is that you have a vehicle that was made in Canada (most RX's) and the luggage cover from a vehicle made in Japan (or vice versa). The posts on the headrests are slightly different diameter. Can you get the salesman to let you try another. By the way, all RX's come with the luggage cover, so someone traded yours in and did not have it. I assume you looked under the cargo floor at the rear of the vehicle. There is a storage compartment right at the back of the cargo area to stow the cargo cover.
Old 04-04-08, 09:41 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
I assume you looked under the cargo floor at the rear of the vehicle. There is a storage compartment right at the back of the cargo area to stow the cargo cover.
What? My cover has a semi-hard cover, a reel if you will that allows the cover to pull out. There is no way that my cover will stow there. Is there more than one type of cover? A soft one?
Old 04-04-08, 02:13 PM
Ivan330
Driver School Candidate

A-ha! The difference between countries of production makes sense. Thank you. Our RX is a JTJ - Japanese, so he probably gave us a Canadian cover...

I knew of the compartment below the cargo area, didn't realize that you can stow the cover in there - neat! (But alas, it didn't have a cover in there).

The salesman gave us the cover as a bonus after we signed the papers and had the key in hand, so he was really nice to do that for us; we earlier told him we would have wanted a cover, but for the price - the car was still worth it.

Being a usually recessive person, I do not feel that comfortable to come back to him and ask to trade for another cover. But, I will try anyways. I am thinking that he could maybe trade off another RX to fit ours and take the old one back. So in a sense, he would just shift the values between the cars a little.

If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll sell it on this forum....

Thank you for your responses on this and my other questions! I sure am glad I joined this virtual community.

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
I used to work at Lexus. I think your problem is that you have a vehicle that was made in Canada (most RX's) and the luggage cover from a vehicle made in Japan (or vice versa). The posts on the headrests are slightly different diameter. Can you get the salesman to let you try another. By the way, all RX's come with the luggage cover, so someone traded yours in and did not have it. I assume you looked under the cargo floor at the rear of the vehicle. There is a storage compartment right at the back of the cargo area to stow the cargo cover.