RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Side Step

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 11:42 AM
noosense00
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Side Step

I have been looking for the correct stainless steel/chrome side steps for the longest time. I really like the look of the one offered by lexus but they are too low. Does anyone know where to get ones that have the same look/style but are much higher and closer to the rocker panel?

I actually saw a couple in NYC, but I was never able to ask the driver. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-05, 01:06 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check to see how the steps you wish to buy are installed. A great deal of adjustability is built into many units. You are right - you will want them tucked into the side of the vehicle as close as possible because on the RX being fairly close to the ground, running boards, or steps are not really practical for entering /exiting the vehicle. Thjs means if you are of average height you will be stepping over them when you get in or out. If you like them simply because they function like a body kit to visually lower the vehicle, be sure they do not protrude too far out from the door sill. These steps, especially in wet or slushy conditions quickly become filthy dirty on the underside and part way up the outside - which will transfer a muddy streak to the back of your pants leg unless you can make sort of an exaggerated step over them when you enter and exit.

Before you buy, mock up this situation with bricks, cinder blocks, or scraps of lumber - according to the rough dimensions of the set you intend to purchase. See if the additional contortions are comfortable for you and your regular passengers. I've had several SUV's of various sizes, and only on one, a 3/4-ton 4X4 Suburban was the step really necessary for my passengers as the door sills were almost 18" off the ground..

At 6' 4" I found that using the step would result in me smacking my head on the door frame almost every time. I finally mastered the art of standing on the ground on my left tiptoe as I slid my right leg and rump up into the seat - managing to step over the running board, then pivoting on the ball of my left foot as I swung under the wheel. If I was careful to lift my left foot straight up before swinging it in the door, I could avoid touching the running board somewhere between my lower calf and Achilles tendon. It was easy - with a little practice. I still had to be careful when wearing good pants in sloppy weather.

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-02-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 03:30 PM
noosense00
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. One more question. Based on your experience, assuming they were not adjustable, how difficult would it be to get them custom mounted.....to the way I actually want them to look?

Is it recommended? would it do any damage to the vehicle?
Old 11-02-05, 04:07 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

If the steps are Lexus factory OEM or approved there should be mounting point engineered to the chassis.

But I have heard multiple incidents about the stainless steel side steps getting slippery in cold winter, especially on snowy or wet days. There's this local Volvo dealership actually recommending the customers to uninstall those OEM side steps and don't use them during winter times.
Old 11-02-05, 05:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You're right, they can be very slick. I modified my stainless running boards with a 1-1/8" strip of a 3M nonskid material that looks like adhesive-backed black 60-grit sandpaper. I think you can get these at a home-improvement store. I think it's made for stairways and ladders. Cut them into strips and apply to part of the area you will actually contact. You don't need much, just a little strip - placement is the key. I've since seen several commercially made examples - and both those and my amateur efforts worked well for years.

Noosense00, I imagine a good welding shop can modify the mounting any way you'd like. Ask around - you may have to go somewhere other than the shop where you buy the steps. Good luck!

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-02-05 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 04:50 AM
noosense00
Rookie

Thanks for all of your inputs. Does anyone have any pics of side steps on their rx330?