RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: Will you get the side molding protection?
YES
37.25%
NOPE
41.18%
DUNNO
21.57%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe Side Molding Protection will do its job to prevent the dents/dings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 09:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Do you believe Side Molding Protection will do its job to prevent the dents/dings?

2 questions:

#1.
Do you believe the side molding will really protect your doors?

Usually I think it's less than 30% of chance your doors will be dents-free or dings-free. Ppl always hit the spots higher or lower rather than those modling locations.

#2.
Do you think the side molding will make your RX look better?
Old 04-29-09, 10:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i dont like the side moulding on a lot of cars. if it comes standard, then I get over it, but i think it destroys the clean look of the RX.

Plus, they dont really do much in protecting the car.
Old 04-30-09, 01:15 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think I have seen one with side moldings...
Old 04-30-09, 03:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

too many varables and the chances are someone door is not going to match the height of your molding. Best bet is to park in the boonies of like me, get a handicap pass! <vbg>
Old 04-30-09, 06:04 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they don't offer protection... In my 4Runner Limited, it comes with bottom half body cladding and built in running boards. With that truck I usually park between cars so when careless drivers open their doors, they usually hit the running board and not the doors, which means no dings. But I normally avoid parking between SUVs and normally park way far.. I enjoy the exercise and fresh air

Last edited by DOUS; 04-30-09 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-30-09, 07:07 AM
Fulani
Driver School Candidate

it really doesnt work like others have posted. And I think it also takes away from the design of the vehicle too
Old 05-01-09, 12:05 AM
Fitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Not an available option, at least for 2010 RX models.
Old 05-01-09, 08:32 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitzgerald
If the side protective moldings are found by someone, I'd hope they'd be kind enough to let the rest of us know. The sides of the 10 RX sure appear to be a very large target, and vulnerable to damage.

Also, if the nice molded Lexus mud guards become available I hope it's posted. I had them on my 05 RX and thought they served a great purpose, and even made the car look better.

Thanks
Old 05-01-09, 08:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

*One of friends said he would install the side moldings because they're better than nothing.

*The molding protection package currently is provided by the local dealers. They use the similar color's molding kits to add onto your RX.
Old 02-21-10, 11:49 AM
kooser
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4482
If the side protective moldings are found by someone, I'd hope they'd be kind enough to let the rest of us know. The sides of the 10 RX sure appear to be a very large target, and vulnerable to damage.

Also, if the nice molded Lexus mud guards become available I hope it's posted. I had them on my 05 RX and thought they served a great purpose, and even made the car look better.

Thanks
Will post soon - both of your requests

Running boards anyone??
Old 02-21-10, 12:39 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Default Picture of Body Side Modling From Dealership

Originally Posted by Fitzgerald
Just picked up my 2010 RX 350 yesterday and I added the body side molding as an option from my dealership. Some people think it takes away from the smooth lines of the car, but I like the dimensional look it adds to the body. I only added it to give me peace of mind knowing I did something to protect myself from careless people out there, even though it's not 100% guaranteed. I've been parking far away from everyone else and getting more exercise than usual

The dealership also offers modling around the wheel wells and trimline of the doors.

Old 02-21-10, 02:12 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

No, I wouldn't want moldings. However after trying to polish out a scratch yesterday, the molding would have stopped the scratch from occurring.

I prefer the look of no moldings and find it easier to detail the car without having to mask them off.

They will prevent some door dings.
Old 02-21-10, 03:21 PM
jclem
Pole Position

I happen to like the looks of the moldings and they Will prevent some dings, of course not everything, but they will help. They came standard on my 2nd gen RX and I was disappointed that they didn't come on this one. I may add them. How much did they cost?
Old 02-21-10, 04:16 PM
Joe G
Driver

I agree with jclem.
We have the full molding package which included side, front & rear bumper, door edge and wheel well. I have had NO problem keeping the car clean. My wife always parks as far away from others as possible, but work parking is a different story which is why we felt the need. We really like the finished look around the wheel wells. I feel the added protection is working out well so far.
Joe G

Last edited by Joe G; 02-21-10 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 04:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The lack of side molding is a refreshing change for me. First it was the different lower panel on the 300, then it was side molding on the 330. I can't do it on the 450h. I park far away from everyone. If not, I find an end spot or create my own The lack of side molding has forced me to change my washing pattern. But I really like the smooth lines. How much easier it will be to wax now

Quick Reply: Do you believe Side Molding Protection will do its job to prevent the dents/dings?