RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wood Trim in Lexus RX330 - Real or Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 04:41 PM
Rob_Rx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood Trim in Lexus RX330 - Real or Fake?

Hi

Do you know if the wood trim in the Lexus RX330 is the real deal or plastic?
I know you can get plastic wood trim for other types of cars. I'm just curious as to know whether the RX330 is real wood.

I would think it is real especially for a Lexus?? I still wouldn't use a saw to cut through the wood trim to test this theory out though

Any comments would be good to hear.

Thanks
Old 04-10-05, 05:06 PM
FX2RX400h?
Driver School Candidate

Your choice, wood or synthentic, it's all good, one of many companies > http://sherwooddash.com/ another > http://superiordash.com/

Last edited by FX2RX400h?; 04-10-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Rob_Rx330
Hi

I know you can get plastic wood trim for other types of cars. I'm just curious as to know whether the RX330 is real wood.

I would think it is real especially for a Lexus?? I still wouldn't use a saw to cut through the wood trim to test this theory out though

Any comments would be good to hear.

Thanks
Welcome to Clublexus. Every Lexus, since inception, has always used real wood like true luxury cars.
Old 04-10-05, 05:17 PM
Rob_Rx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to Clublexus. Every Lexus, since inception, has always used real wood like true luxury cars.
Thanks for your reply.

I still had to ask cause, really there is no way of knowing. The only way I guess is by tapping the shift **** and it does seem to give out a more deeper sound - That is a non hollow type of sound which to me sounds like real wood.

Thanks
Old 04-10-05, 05:25 PM
LexFather

Thanks for your reply.

I still had to ask cause, really there is no way of knowing. The only way I guess is by tapping the shift **** and it does seem to give out a more deeper sound - That is a non hollow type of sound which to me sounds like real wood.

Thanks
Yeah, Lexus tries different woods to match the interiors to provide "harmony" signals to the brain. Lexus began with the 2001 LS 430 to offer more wood choices. This expanded to the SC and new GS and the ES and RX.
http://www.lexus.com/models/rx/interior.html
abin Amenities

A lustrous interior boasts a control-panel design with futuristic cockpit styling and chrome accents, complete with leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****, gated shifter and sliding center console that adjusts between three positions for extra storage and space. Optional leather trim extends a soft, glove-like feel to the seating and interior, richly accented by standard beautiful walnut or bird's-eye maple wood trim. And automatic dual-zone climate control with smog-sensing air filtration ensures passengers have the opportunity to pursue climatic perfection.
Old 04-10-05, 06:33 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how come my wood panel(frame) around the center console is making sqeaking noise whenever the car moves?

real wood sqeaks? once i tried to push them in a little, noise is gone, but comes back....
Old 04-10-05, 06:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wood is real, but if you took the panel off in the RX330 you will notice that it is a very thin layer of wood glued to a thin metal backing, then glued to a plastic trim panel. So, if you look at it from the backside it will look like plastic, but if you look closely at the edge you can see the different layers. The wood layer itself is probably about 1-2mm thick. I pretty much call it a wood veneer.
Old 04-10-05, 08:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Real wood in Lexus. Acura MDX uses plastic.
Old 04-10-05, 10:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember Lexus' wood veneer "sandwich” of wood-aluminum-plastic used in the earliest LS was copied from MB who has used this approach to interior trim for quite a few years. MB's logic was that a thick wood garnish would splinter in an accident and could be dangerous to occupants of the vehicle. Bonding a thin wood veneer to aluminum would provide better stability and some ability to flex without splintering in a crash. Works for me!
Old 04-11-05, 01:00 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember Lexus' wood veneer "sandwich” of wood-aluminum-plastic used in the earliest LS was copied from MB who has used this approach to interior trim for quite a few years. MB's logic was that a thick wood garnish would splinter in an accident and could be dangerous to occupants of the vehicle. Bonding a thin wood veneer to aluminum would provide better stability and some ability to flex without splintering in a crash. Works for me!
Interesting. I hvaen't heard that. In any case, I know it is possible for the think wood venner to separate from teh aluminum. Maybe it is in the higher heat/humitity areas. I checked out a few used cars before llike the G1 GS300 and the practically the entire center console wood veneer was peeling off the aluminum in chucks. I think I checked out on other car that also had a problem like that only it was not a major. In the SC the wood trim is this thick piece of wood. Truthfully, I don't care. As long is it looks good. I rather have a fake light weight piece that looks good rather than a real wood that weighs more. I'm not saying the wood weights a lot, but if they can use something that looks just as good and lighter I'm all for it.
Old 04-11-05, 04:06 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care, it just looked fabulous as a light burlwood in a 330 we drove, wow!