RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tail light warning light still on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 06:21 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail light warning light still on.

I had a tail light go out in my 2003 RX300 and thought it would be great to get an upgrade in the process of replacement, so bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The warning light is still on. Is it because these lights likely work at a lower wattage, or do I more likely have another light out that I'm not seeing? (I swear I checked them all.)

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 07-26-16, 10:12 AM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you first start the car, DO NOT touch the brakes! Is the warning light on at this point? If not, press the brakes. If it comes on at this point you either have a problem with the 3rd brake light or the bulbs you put in. There is a monitoring circuit (a little box in the trunk wall on the driver's side) which is looking for a certain resistance across the filaments of the brake bulbs. It is quite possible that your replacement bulbs are not compatible with this monitoring (some are). Try a traditional bulb to see if it resolves.

Some people have had problems with the monitoring box. Cold solder joints occur after years of thermal cycling from braking. This is described in detail in other posts here.
Old 07-26-16, 11:39 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Yep, light is on without touching the brakes. Pretty sure the LED's are causing the issue, since they run at a lower wattage. Darn. I light those lights. I don't like the warning light being on.

I guess I'll try regular bulbs.
Old 07-27-16, 11:08 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

When the LED lights are installed there is a low resistance which looks like a burned-out taillight I have the same problem I just leave the light on. The tail lights you bought are pretty good but a company by the name of DDM tuning in Huntington Beach California www.DDMtuning.com has a set of Cree tail light bulbs that are much and I do mean much brighter on stopping and when they run normal. I have checked out every kind of LED taillight and the Cree from DDM tuning nothing touches them. I have a 2001 RX 300 my tail lights are as bright as the 2016 cars, they have also come out with LED headlights bulbs they are bright and leave everything else in the dust. If you don't want to go with LED headlights they have the HID headlights at a great price lifetime warranty on the HID headlights the tail light part numbers at DDM Tuning are 7743 about $20.00 each and they are worth every penny. The 9006 LED headlights are around $75.00 I have nothing to do with DDM tuning just wanted everyone to know about the new tail lights and LED headlights
Old 07-27-16, 12:46 PM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Good to know, I may go for those headlights when mine need replacing.

For me, I just can't deal with that warning light being on all the time. Wish I could, I like the brighter lights.
Old 07-27-16, 01:33 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrHepcat
Good to know, I may go for those headlights when mine need replacing.

For me, I just can't deal with that warning light being on all the time. Wish I could, I like the brighter lights.
Rears are for the benefit of others and personal choice/vanity. The fronts (will not trigger any warning) do make an impact in your visibility but can adversely impact on-coming driver. IMHO the front lights are plenty bright, assuming they are not oxidized.

Salim
Old 07-27-16, 02:26 PM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HerrHepcat,
Before you abandon your LED lights which you like so much, I would try wiring in some power resistors. Do a quick web search on "LED load resistors" and you will find videos and places to buy them. They are high wattage devices which add the necessary resistance to make the brake controller happy. They will warm up, but you would have to be driving around with your foot on the brake to do that.
Old 07-29-16, 11:44 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Thanks for this!!

Originally Posted by cotis
HerrHepcat,
Before you abandon your LED lights which you like so much, I would try wiring in some power resistors. Do a quick web search on "LED load resistors" and you will find videos and places to buy them. They are high wattage devices which add the necessary resistance to make the brake controller happy. They will warm up, but you would have to be driving around with your foot on the brake to do that.