RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 make RX300 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 06:27 AM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 make RX300 won't start

basically the problem is that a 2000 make RX300 won't start. I mean from time to time if you let it stay for about 20-30 mins you might get lucky and will start but then at some point like 2nd time it won't. In service they thought of fuel pump and that system because one time when it didn't start they've hit over the pump area under the seat someplace and it started so they assumed there was something there. Ignition and battery/electric system seems ok. As for the fuel pump they've opened it looked at it filter seemed ok they've replaced some of the stuff and in general as they say this fuel pump seems ok but the car still does the trick

Please maybe some of you are aware of such a thing happening let me know what it might be
because for where I am at this point there are not a lot of experts here who really know this car
(despite the fact that it's not a rare model here)
Old 06-19-15, 07:15 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

has the timing belt been changed? If its off by a few teeth it will take forever to catch and start.
Old 06-19-15, 07:20 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Please read Having Problems sticky thread. Please elaborate on does not start.

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose.

Fuel pump problem should manifest in driving as well. Did the mechanic perform pressure test and flow test of fuel pump? It is normal for a fuel pump to energize and cut out to maintain a certain pressure.

Also describe a bit of history as to when and how the problem started. Any work or service that triggered it. Was any electrical splicing that was done etc?

Salim
Old 06-19-15, 07:33 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Is the, Check Engine Light on? Have you checked for codes?
Old 06-19-15, 08:59 AM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

I'll make sure to check one more time Problems thread. But at this point I can confirm that the Timing belt was recently replaced and yes they've tested fuel pump by running pressure and flow tests everything seemed OK there. The battery works fine "it spins the starter well" and everything lights up normally on the panel. Now as for the a bit of background history this problem appeared at first rarely few times I mean every once in 4-5 weeks of then for the past few months it got more and more often twice a week and so on, so now (assuming generally 3-4 stars a day) first start in the morning is fine and the second one becomes a problem BUT if you leave the car for 40-60mins it starts back again normally as if something has "cooled down". There might be a problem with electrical splicing yes. And we've recently installed new set of Spark Plugs and might it be that electricity's not getting to Sparks despite the normally rolling starter?

Could it be something with Bendix or Commutator?

Last edited by Mindo80; 06-19-15 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 10:20 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Mindo80
I'll make sure to check one more time Problems thread. But at this point I can confirm that the Timing belt was recently replaced and yes they've tested fuel pump by running pressure and flow tests everything seemed OK there. The battery works fine "it spins the starter well" and everything lights up normally on the panel. Now as for the a bit of background history this problem appeared at first rarely few times I mean every once in 4-5 weeks of then for the past few months it got more and more often twice a week and so on, so now (assuming generally 3-4 stars a day) first start in the morning is fine and the second one becomes a problem BUT if you leave the car for 40-60mins it starts back again normally as if something has "cooled down". There might be a problem with electrical splicing yes. And we've recently installed new set of Spark Plugs and might it be that electricity's not getting to Sparks despite the normally rolling starter?

Could it be something with Bendix or Commutator?
That is exactly why I suggested to read the Sticky. The thread will guide you to explain your problem better for us to figure out what is going on.

Salim
Old 06-19-15, 11:06 AM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
That is exactly why I suggested to read the Sticky. The thread will guide you to explain your problem better for us to figure out what is going on.

Salim
Well I'm browsing and unfortunately I can't find any situation for example in the problems section that would correspond to mine anyway's I'll try posting my questions there maybe someone else might find something to shed the light on this problem.
Old 06-19-15, 11:12 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Mindo80
Well I'm browsing and unfortunately I can't find any situation for example in the problems section that would correspond to mine anyway's I'll try posting my questions there maybe someone else might find something to shed the light on this problem.
When it fails to start what does it do? Clicks, no click, slow spin of starter, fast and rapid spin?

Does it crank and keep on cranking but not catch?

If so What if you press and hold the gas pedal 1/4?

Keep in mind you have to describe every detail when you describe a problem .. we are not there with you.

Salim
Old 06-19-15, 12:31 PM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

When it fails to start what does it do? Clicks, no click, slow spin of starter, fast and rapid spin?

Does it crank and keep on cranking but not catch?

If so What if you press and hold the gas pedal 1/4?

Keep in mind you have to describe every detail when you describe a problem .. we are not there with you.

Salim
Sure I understand and thanx a lot for the support. As for the questions engine cranks on and yes doesn't catch on but as for starter no clicks no sounds normal spinning no slowing nothing.
Old 06-22-15, 05:36 AM
kalali
Pole Position

You need to first determine if its spark delivery or fuel delivery issue.
Old 07-05-15, 07:12 AM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalali
You need to first determine if its spark delivery or fuel delivery issue.
Sorry for such a late respond I was waiting for Crankshaft Sensor to arrive. Anyways as you mentioned there where two things that could've caused this problem fuel delivery or a spark delivery issue and so far it turned out to have been the spark delivery problem. To be more precise Crankshaft Sensor wasn't delivering electricity to the sparks which logically caused this problem. Thank you very much for your replies. It really helped.
Old 07-05-15, 08:21 AM
salimshah

Glad things worked out.

Just out of curiosity, were you getting CEL and the code pointed to the offending sensor?

See if the following applied for you:
The starter is spinning the engine at good speed but it fails to catch. My CEL is on/ff.

Salim

Note: When you have problems, one is supposed to turn ignition to run and wait too see all self tests are complete. If every thing is good, the CEL light first turns ON and then OFF.
Old 07-06-15, 08:38 AM
Mindo80
Driver School Candidate

Glad things worked out.

Just out of curiosity, were you getting CEL and the code pointed to the offending sensor?

See if the following applied for you:
The starter is spinning the engine at good speed but it fails to catch. My CEL is on/ff.

Salim

Note: When you have problems, one is supposed to turn ignition to run and wait too see all self tests are complete. If every thing is good, the CEL light first turns ON and then OFF.
Curiously enough there where no such indications at all. I mean everything on the panel was lighting up and then fading out as they normally do. This problem was found by seeing that fuel system, starter etc. had no problems so it they've tested electric supply to sparks just when the car had the problem with starting and voila! as they say it turned out that sparks where not getting electricity and that fact has lead us to a Crankshaft Sensor. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-15, 11:18 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's intermittent, possibly starter contacts is the problem. Search for 'Denso Starter Contacts' and you will get the idea. You can buy the contact kit, and fix it yourself it that was the problem.

Last edited by lexina; 07-07-15 at 11:22 AM.