RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Misfire CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 05:49 PM
Shaggydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile RX300 Misfire CEL codes

We recently purchased a 1999 RX300 (our 3rd Lexus) with 189K for our daughter to drive to college. Picked it up from a auto wholesaler 200 miles away, but Carfax and pictures showed pretty clean. First hand inspection of the undetailed car seemed to confirm. The car ran and drove great, looked well cared for. The CD player even had 40's-50's dance hall music loaded.

On the way home, my daughter reported that the CEL came on, but the car was running good, and fluids were good. The next day, on her way to school, she reported that the CEL was flashing, and the car seemed to pulsate. I had her keep parked until we could pull some codes.

We picked up P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, P1346, and P1349. I understand that it is registering misfires in cylinders 1, 3, and 5, as well as trouble with timing/sensor. I reset codes, drove 30 miles into town and back, and the CEL and codes returned.

We will try to get into someone better qualified to diagnose this week, but was hoping to glean input from the group. I have no maintenance history for the car (Timing Belt, ect...), but the Carfax showed that most scheduled maintenance had been done at Lexus of Portland. I hope to be able to get some service records from them once we get the registration/proof of ownership.

Has anyone had similar symptoms or advice to lend. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-01-14, 11:44 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I would urge you to use search function as most questions have been answered. You will find members eager to help, but if you search and post in a appropriate thread, your issue will get lot more traction.

since your problems are all on one bank ... bank1 ... near the fire-wall, cam sensor on that bank may be bad. When you run into these problem there is no guarantee that the sensor is the real culprit. You have to do proper diagnosis.

If the T belt has not been changed, or even if it was changed at 90k it is time for another change. While you are at it, have the spark plugs examined (they should be changed at 110kmiles)

Check this post ... the last picture is for bank2
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3512054-post2.html

Salim
Old 02-02-14, 07:52 AM
CaptainDan
Rookie

if that car has the 1mz engine in it you should take a look at the VVTI solenoid. they will typically throw engine misfire codes along with a vvti error..cant remember exactly what code number it is.
Old 02-03-14, 09:49 AM
Shaggydog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to CL.

I would urge you to use search function as most questions have been answered. You will find members eager to help, but if you search and post in a appropriate thread, your issue will get lot more traction.

since your problems are all on one bank ... bank1 ... near the fire-wall, cam sensor on that bank may be bad. When you run into these problem there is no guarantee that the sensor is the real culprit. You have to do proper diagnosis.

If the T belt has not been changed, or even if it was changed at 90k it is time for another change. While you are at it, have the spark plugs examined (they should be changed at 110kmiles)

Check this post ... the last picture is for bank2
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3512054-post2.html

Salim
Thank you, my first time posting, and wasn't sure the best method, so I just jumped in. Can you recommend a way that I might test Cam Sensor from home? Also, I have resolved that I ought to invest in a proper technical manual. Is there one that you would recommend? We own 3 Lexus', 00' LX470, 04' RX330, and 99' RX300.
Old 02-03-14, 09:54 AM
Shaggydog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaptainDan
if that car has the 1mz engine in it you should take a look at the VVTI solenoid. they will typically throw engine misfire codes along with a vvti error..cant remember exactly what code number it is.
Can you direct me to where I can find a diagram showing placement of VVTI solenoid? Is there a way to test or clean?
Old 02-03-14, 10:18 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The VVTI solenoid is relatively accessible and not too difficult to R&R. There are two, both at the driver's side end of the engine, one for each cylinder bank.. Requires removing the air filter housing and flexible hoses that connect to the throttle body. Use your search function and you will find some detailed DIYs on it.
Old 02-03-14, 10:49 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Shaggydog
Thank you, my first time posting, and wasn't sure the best method, so I just jumped in. Can you recommend a way that I might test Cam Sensor from home? Also, I have resolved that I ought to invest in a proper technical manual. Is there one that you would recommend? We own 3 Lexus', 00' LX470, 04' RX330, and 99' RX300.
Please read the sticky threads ...

RX300 Mega thread Having problems ,, start here
DIY's (VVTI valve service is there)
FAQ

In there you will find reference to Service manuals published by Lexus. There are copyrights that prevents us from sharing it here. CD's which violate those rights are sold. Lexus/Toyota provides on line annual/limited-time access.

Salim
Old 02-03-14, 04:46 PM
Shaggydog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim,
Sticky Threads are awesome! I checked out BearsLexus DIY on OCV/VVTI replacement, and it was great. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but I want to try it anyway.
In regards to Service manuals are there any aftermarket manuals (Chiltons ect...) worth buying for Lexus vehicles?
Old 02-03-14, 05:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Shaggydog
Thanks Salim,
Sticky Threads are awesome! I checked out BearsLexus DIY on OCV/VVTI replacement, and it was great. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but I want to try it anyway.
In regards to Service manuals are there any aftermarket manuals (Chiltons ect...) worth buying for Lexus vehicles?
I have only owned Lexus service manuals ,,, they are detailed ... down to torques, but are expensive $100+ for the one that cover engine + drive train. From what I have read abut Chilton is they are very generic. If you are an avid DIY you can figure out what you would find in Chilton.

Since you have 3 Lexus, it might be best to price out Toyota alldata service.

Salim