RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine noise after timing belt / water pump change

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 06:13 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine noise after timing belt / water pump change

I picked up the car this morning from my usual mechanic.
They changed the timing belt/waterpump and other parts along the way that I bought from here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261110173477...A:3160&vxp=mtr

•AISIN WATER PUMP 16100-29085
•AISIN WATER PUMP GASKET
•MITSUBOSHI TIMIING BELT TB257
•KOYO TENSIONER 13505-62060
•KOYO IDLER TENSIONER 13503-62030
•GENUINE TOYOTA/NTN HYDRAULIC TENSIONER 13540-20021
•BANDO AC BELT K040345
•BANDO PWR STEERING BELT K060410

Everything above were replaced and I have all the old parts in hand.

Took the car to work from there and didn't hear anything weird for the 45 mins drive.
Got off work and started the car and I start hearing this noise under the hood.
I opened the hood and it comes on and off. Since I no longer have the belt squeal noise anymore from AC/steering belt. I was expecting a static noise while the car is idling.

I have uploaded 3 videos. First two are taken at work parking lot. Last one was taken after 45 mins drive back home.

What could it be? It's too late to call my mechanic and ask, so I want to get some opinions first and then I'll head back there tomorrow morning(without appointment) as I don't think this is normal and I don't know if I can keep driving this throughout the long weekend to various destinations that takes hrs.

Sorry for the long story. The clips are relative short at 30 sec or so each. Please have a listen.

At work parking lot:

After drive home:
Old 08-29-13, 06:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,010 Likes on 913 Posts

Does not sound right. I would avoid driving as much as possible.

My first guess is the plastic that goes around the main pulley <- but dont share it with the mechanic ... let him figure out the real culprit.

Salim
Old 08-29-13, 06:34 PM
milirx450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's a strange one. Almost sounds like a bad bearing(s) on your alternator or A/C compressor. I changed my timing belt and water pump (2003 ES300) around a month ago and recently started getting a squeal from my A/C compressor when I first start the car. Definitely take it back to the mechanic to have him look at it.
Old 08-29-13, 06:35 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Does not sound right. I would avoid driving as much as possible.

My first guess is the plastic that goes around the main pulley <- but dont share it with the mechanic ... let him figure out the real culprit.

Salim
Thanks Salim, I would still have to drive to his place...

Is this noise possibly be coming from any of the parts that have been replaced?
Here are my concerns:
- bearings / tensioners
- waterpump
- belt not tightened

I would consider the above problems being serious.
Old 08-29-13, 08:05 PM
salimshah

You can not rule anything out ... could be a rattle due to lost socket.

What I understood from your first post is that when you took delivery things were quiet. Mention that to the mechanic.

No point over thinking.

Salim
Old 08-30-13, 06:11 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like something loosened up. Take back immediately....
Old 08-30-13, 10:02 AM
wing0
Intermediate

The mechanic took a look and pushed on the plastic timing belt cover against the metal backplate and the noise disappeared.

He said they had to take out the backplate in order to get the waterpump out because the bolts were hard to take off.

Anyways, the backplate was not completely straight and the pulley was scratching it and that's where the noise was coming from.
They opened the plastic cover and straighten the backplate further and now no more noises.

Thank God, it was not something loose inside.
Old 08-30-13, 10:22 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by wing0
The mechanic took a look and pushed on the plastic timing belt cover against the metal backplate and the noise disappeared.

He said they had to take out the backplate in order to get the waterpump out because the bolts were hard to take off.

Anyways, the backplate was not completely straight and the pulley was scratching it and that's where the noise was coming from.
They opened the plastic cover and straighten the backplate further and now no more noises.

Thank God, it was not something loose inside.

I would have disassembled all the way to the problem spot and reassembled it. If he did not, keep an eye on it.

Salim
Old 08-30-13, 10:24 AM
wing0
Intermediate

I would have disassembled all the way to the problem spot and reassembled it. If he did not, keep an eye on it.

Salim
He didn't.
Just took the plastic cover off and found the place that is slightly bent and just bend it back?

Everything else look fine when he took the cover off.

I will have to keep an eye/ear for it.
Old 08-30-13, 10:31 AM
salimshah

Bending plates during removal that needs bending back at the end is not a sign of a good mechanic. I am sorry but my standards are very high ... to be fair, I hold myself to those standards too

Salim
Old 08-30-13, 10:34 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Bending plates during removal that needs bending back at the end is not a sign of a good mechanic. I am sorry but my standards are very high ... to be fair, I hold myself to those standards too

Salim
I thought of that too, but I've been going to him for the past 10 years or so without much issues.
He said if it wasn't for the difficulty in removing the waterpump bolts, he wouldn't have to take the backplate off too.

I guess it's not always a good idea to try and replace timing belt by the km instead of time.
First time changing timing belt after 12 yrs of ownership.
Old 08-30-13, 11:33 AM
milirx450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your mechanic was a little on the lazy side. When I changed out my water pump I had to remove the cam gear to get at the backing plate so I could get better access to the water pump bolts/studs. Yes, it was a bit of a pain but it was the right way to do it. I agree with Salim on standards of perfection, especially when it comes to having to go back to your mechanic to have him fix it. Better to do it right the first time.
Old 08-30-13, 11:36 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by milies300
Sounds like your mechanic was a little on the lazy side. When I changed out my water pump I had to remove the cam gear to get at the backing plate so I could get better access to the water pump bolts/studs. Yes, it was a bit of a pain but it was the right way to do it. I agree with Salim on standards of perfection, especially when it comes to having to go back to your mechanic to have him fix it. Better to do it right the first time.
Actually now that you mention this.
I think he also mention he had to remove the cam gear to get at the backing plate.

Sorry, I haven't done timing belt / waterpump change before. I usually handle the regular maintenance stuff myself. So I may not know exactly the procedure, however, I have watched different youtube videos on it. Maybe the next timing belt change, I'll attempt it myself once I increase my toolsets a bit.
Old 08-30-13, 06:21 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, how many miles on the old belt and how did it look? I have yet to read a post saying that I replaced my belt and the old belt looked worn when replaced. This is of course if the belt was only changed due to age and not exposed to oil due to any leaks.