RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can you tell me what this is and why its wet with oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 09:32 AM
HawkeyDad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell me what this is and why its wet with oil?

This morning I found some yellowish oil with no distinct smell on the driveway. I took to my oil change guy to take a look underneath. The square looking part shown in this pic was the only thing wet we could find and it is about where the leak would be for where my car was parked. We could find nothing above or trailing to it. I just don't know what this is, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Can you tell me what this is and why its wet with oil?-img00583-20111116-0852.jpg  
Old 11-17-11, 01:31 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like it's leaking from the driveshaft yoke seal (or transaxle seal, whatever it's called).
Old 11-17-11, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, it doesn't look cheap either.

I'd get that checked out by a shop, and make sure it's not fluid from the transfer case, because you definitely don't want the transfercase to run out of oil.
Old 11-17-11, 10:29 AM
HawkeyDad
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone know what that part is called (the square bottom thing in the picture). I have searched the service manual and all else and still can't find a name for it. Who knows what the end cost will be but I am always glad when its not transmission fluid.
Old 11-17-11, 10:42 AM
HawkeyDad
Driver School Candidate

This oil had no smell at all...I understand the transfer case oil tends to get pretty skunky.
Old 11-17-11, 02:42 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyDad
Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone know what that part is called (the square bottom thing in the picture). I have searched the service manual and all else and still can't find a name for it. Who knows what the end cost will be but I am always glad when its not transmission fluid.
Based on location, orientation, and the driveshaft yoke, it sure looks like the very rearmost, lowest part of the transfer case.
Old 11-17-11, 10:31 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wash it off nice and clean with some solvent and a brush and wipe it dry. Then check it every few days and see where it comes from 1st. I don't think it's coming from the square part, I think it's coming the yoke seal and eventually running down to that part. It would only rake about a teaspoon or teaspoon and a half to wet that like it is. It's not pouring out. Used to be if you looked under your car and DIDN'T see a few leaks like that, there was something wrong. All cars leaked. Now they've learned to do a much better job of designing seals.
Old 11-18-11, 09:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That piece that is leaking is part of the extension housing that goes into the transfer case. That little square thing you see underneath it, that's a damper.

For those of you with the service manuals, the propeller shaft section doesn't really do a good job. There's actually an entire other book devoted to the automatic transmission that includes a section on the transfer case and shows this piece (oddly enough they don't show that damper).

However, this diagram from this group does an excellent job, http://www.lexuspartseast.com/parts-...-09-10081.html (see the very bottom of the diagram)

The round cylindrical object with oil all over it is a dust deflector. Inside of that area is an oil seal. Thus, gear oil from the transfer case may be leaking out. As code58 mentioned, clean it up first.

How many miles do you have on your vehicle?

That oil may not have smell after it sits outside for a bit (though it's usually sulfuric).
Old 09-20-13, 04:23 PM
tangomike7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That piece that is leaking is part of the extension housing that goes into the transfer case. That little square thing you see underneath it, that's a damper.

For those of you with the service manuals, the propeller shaft section doesn't really do a good job. There's actually an entire other book devoted to the automatic transmission that includes a section on the transfer case and shows this piece (oddly enough they don't show that damper).

However, this diagram from this group does an excellent job, http://www.lexuspartseast.com/parts-...-09-10081.html (see the very bottom of the diagram)

The round cylindrical object with oil all over it is a dust deflector. Inside of that area is an oil seal. Thus, gear oil from the transfer case may be leaking out. As code58 mentioned, clean it up first.

How many miles do you have on your vehicle?

That oil may not have smell after it sits outside for a bit (though it's usually sulfuric).
I have an identical root cause. I discovered this following the Lexmex DIY for front/rear diff fluid exchanges. I have been smelling a burning smell after stopping after a full driving cycle. When changing the front transfer case fluid I saw a identical leak to the above picture. Gear oil has splattered on the exaust heat shield creating the mystery smell. I will need to change the TRANSFER CASE (apparently there is confussion vs front diff) extension housing oil seal. Anyone have information on this procedure? of note, only about 200-300mL of gear oil was missing from the front transfer case. I can take pictures when home. I can follow a specific orderset of instructions and post a photo DIY to benifit the community if one already does not exist.
Old 09-20-13, 04:41 PM
tangomike7
Driver School Candidate

bump...new thread created