RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New product - stiffens springs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 06:39 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product stiffens suspension?

I would've posted this in the supension/handling section... I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it gets no attention. If this gets moved, so be it.

I just found a product I've not seen before -

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/ac18-1701.html

That link takes you there... Suspension coil spring stiffeners... Hmmm... Looks a bit gimmicky, but the theory/logic behind it makes sense. Anybody tried these? Do they work?

I've wanted a stiffer suspension out of the RX, but I've been nervous about lowering for some obvious reasons...

I'm thinking this might be an EXTREMELY cost effective and low risk alternative to getting rid of a bit of that body roll without lowering. Or is this just all crap?

I dunno

Last edited by CK1_RX3; 10-01-02 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 08:12 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

The use of spring blocks go way way back,,, I think I helped a friend put them on back in the 69'. We were trying to slow down his wheel hop on his 67' Muskrat, he run street stock, and if I'm not forgetting to much, it was one of the few things we could to the suspension at a price we could aford...

I also think people use them on their springs to help towing larger trailers and boats. The only problem I would suggest is that they also take the shocks out of action. The ride will be stiffer and you will lose travel.

But they are cheap and quick....

Come to think of it, they may be something you could use to stop rubs on the shock strut if you had over sized tyres and rims???
Old 10-02-02, 10:34 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JJ_BPK
The use of spring blocks go way way back,,, I think I helped a friend put them on back in the 69'. We were trying to slow down his wheel hop on his 67' Muskrat, he run street stock, and if I'm not forgetting to much, it was one of the few things we could to the suspension at a price we could aford...

I also think people use them on their springs to help towing larger trailers and boats. The only problem I would suggest is that they also take the shocks out of action. The ride will be stiffer and you will lose travel.

But they are cheap and quick....

Come to think of it, they may be something you could use to stop rubs on the shock strut if you had over sized tyres and rims???
HEY! A parrott-head! Man, I love Buffet - seen him twice at Alpine Valley in WI - what an awesome party that show is!

What do you mean by taking the shocks out of action? Just that they won't be as effective? The ride would be rougher no doubt, but it might not be a bad trade off for less body roll. What do you mean by "lose travel"?

Forgive my relative inexperience - if you were around in '69, I was born 10 years later, so you've got a bit of wisdom on your side no doubt. Thank you for the education by the way!
Old 10-02-02, 11:40 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My B-I-L used these on the right side of his dirt-track Ford Torino...But, he also chained the left rear axle to the frame. All in the hopes of eliminating body roll and sway.

If you have any rattles in your RX, you'll have more with these.

Travel? That's how far the piston moves as the shock "absorbs".

These spring blocks shorten the whole system, so there's less action, consequently the ride is less smooth, more stiff.

It's a cheap, easy mod that can be undone. I say go for it, if you've got a fiver to spare.

If you do it, please report your findings.
Old 10-03-02, 08:30 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

Travel - The arc created by the max downward and max upward swing of the tyre assembly in motion. If you follow offroad racing you may have seen some of the Toyota's Ivan Stewart drives have upwards of 30" of arc. It allow the vehicle to ride smother when jumping over ditches at 100 mph. Now he has a one-off custom build desert rocket,,

I would guess the RX300 has maybe 8"-12" of arc???

The context I was talking to was the problem with the rear spring & struts being one of the limiting factors in being able to use wider rims and larger tyres.

I think the RX300's are currently limited to 235 70's on 16" or some other combo's on the 17",18", and 19" rims. Anything bigger and you will rub the top of the strut mounts in the back wheel wells, on the light side,,, hit a good bump and you may take out the tyre & bend the rim or brake the strut mount.

Buy using the bushings, you limit the upward travel on the strut assemble,, leading to a harsher ride,,, but may be able to stuff a larger rim with a wider tyre????

SOMETHING I WOULD NOT TRY..... But like Daddy-o said,, might be worth $5.00 for less roll and stiffer feel???

They did not work very well on my buddies car,, but he ended up blowing a fly wheel up through the dash and the roof,,, trashed the car,, fortunately we had installed a transmission blast shield over the hump and it only broke his leg.

Daddy-O why the id change,,, are we talking cigars and congratulations to mommy & you & ??????

Best

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 10-03-02 at 09:00 PM.