ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Spring Clip

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-02, 09:05 AM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Clip

Anybody seen those spring clips that suppose to lower your car a few inches, they squeeze your springs coil together to make the car look low. Any more information on them would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-02, 03:36 PM
blux
Pole Position

Havent heard anything about em, I'm a nobody tho...haha... They sound cool to me... MUST be a catch...

-blux
Old 06-27-02, 06:31 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you hear about them at?
Old 06-27-02, 08:06 AM
bizarreRide
Driver

Seems like that would screw up the operation of the springs...I think this would really mess up the smooth Lexus ride, even more so than putting tighter springs on. I think there's a very good chance too it would screw up your suspension geometry...could affect brake wear, weight distribution, etc.

You should be able to get a set of real springs for $200 - 400 + install depending on how much you want to lower & what brand. I've never heard of the clips, but it sounds like a bad idea to me, unless you've got a POS compact w/ crappy suspension anyway.

Later,
bR
Old 06-27-02, 09:45 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

The clips can be bought at AdvanceAuto. They are cheaper and quicker to install than the real lowering springs. They can be removed at anytime also. I know it sounds risky to be clamping your springs together, just wanted to know if anyone had used them before.
Old 06-27-02, 10:16 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Sorry, i have never heard of them either. Doesnt sound reliable or affordable. Just get the real thing. This is not a honda.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 06-27-02, 11:41 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just a thought: if this was such a good idea and affordable, practically everybody would have them.
Old 06-28-02, 06:57 AM
Rit&Booner
Driver

I finally found some more info on these clamps. Read this site

http://www.allpar.com/eek/coils.html

It's only $4 a clamp. I just might try it out.
Old 06-28-02, 08:00 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

do you think it goes back to normal when you take them off?
Old 06-28-02, 08:03 AM
bizarreRide
Driver

This guys comment would me my concern:

"The advantage of sport springs over [clamps] is that the spring rate is higher on a sport spring and many sport springs are progressive rather than linear. *yes*, the spring ratio is raised when you use the clamps. but if you live near the city (read potholes) then your may want to consider sport springs. lowered springs don't have as high a rate and can hit the bump stops under maximum load. for most of us, that shouldn't be a problem. again, if you live near potholes, though, especially with a more aggressive wheel combination like 50 or 40 series tires, be prepared to shell out some dough for new rims if you hit your bump stops in a pothole. also progressive springs give a nicer ride while keeping good handling characteristics because they soak up the small bumps while hardening up for the twisties."

Tons of potholes where I live...

bR
Old 06-28-02, 08:06 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ok, so we don't get them. joe on here had his factory springs heated so they would shrink, then had them put back on. he dropped 2" for $100
Old 06-28-02, 09:24 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey i haven't kept up with springs in a while...if i remember correctly are eibach/trd's progressive?? which other ones are progressives? i know eibachs only drop about an inch and a quarter for the ES. I live in pothole town. I really need springs to keep up with that...or else i can't get tires below a 50 aspect ratio...which'll probably mean 17 inch rims maximum
Old 06-28-02, 01:17 PM
bizarreRide
Driver

I think the H&R 1.8" springs are progressive...not sure though.

bR
Old 06-28-02, 04:16 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

i've used those clips before on a maxima. they were actually pretty good, cheep way of lowering a vehicle. the ride wasn't that stiff at all, gave me a 2 inch drop. with 4 chips each spring.
i was kind of scared that they would pop out, so i doubled them. only issue i had with them was that they were noisy. when you went over a bump, not only could you feel it, you could also hear the spring creeking.

like eric said, i've dropped my lex by heating my stock springs and compressing them. ride is still pretty smooth. great deal at $100. the guys that did it were my friends tho, i don't know what it normally costs.
Old 06-29-02, 08:12 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

so the clips will work, just nopisy, and we dont know the price of heating stock springs. rit&booner, i would go ahead and try it then

Quick Reply: Spring Clip