RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fast idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 12:53 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Benjamin- Did the mechanic take the IACV OFF to clean it? I know a lot of guys take the easy way and just try and get cleaner up in there to the cylindrical valve, but I personally prefer to take it off and do it right.
as per the instructions, he took it completely off. and yes everyone, tapping the screws with a hammer and screwdriver does work in loosening those stupid soft screws.

I just went and looked at one I have and it looks like you could take the black part off and then you can turn the little round fitting on the end of the actual valve and change the RPM. It doesn't seem like it would leak vacuum. You would be doing exactly what the electro magnet does. The valve is a cylinder and doesn't really turn very far at all.
the mechanic did not run the engine with the black part off. he did try to turn the round fitting by hand to see if it was stuck while the car was not running and he said there was movement, but we weren't sure how much movement it was supposed to have.

You do realize that the black part that houses the electromagnet has an adjustment to it, right? There are slotted holes where the 2 screws that hold it on go. IF it needs replacing, what you get in the new part is the black part AND the part it screws to (the small pot metal part that actually has the cylindrical valve in it) The "motor" is actually an electromagnet that moves either way depending on which way juice is fed to it.
with the engine off and the black part bolted back on and the wire harness not plugged back into it, he ran power thru a jumper directly off the battery to the pins in the plug on the black part as the service manual, and we can hear the electromagnet close, but when he reversed the connection and jumped to the next pin, there was no sound indicating it was open.

The throttle body does not have to be replaced. I have one caution. I have factory CD and the figures seem to be wrong. I have read once before on the forums that Lexus admitted they are wrong. The manual shows a resistance of 17.0-24.5 Ohms cold and 21.5-28.5 Ohms hot. The ohms are read from the center contact in the black part to either side (open or closed) The one I have measured something like 2 Ohms on one side and 59 Ohms on the other side and yet once I cleaned it thouroghly , it worked perfect.
i think that's exactly what i he did. he was trying to get a reading but the values were all over the place.... the lowest on one side was 1 ohm, and on the other side it was as high as 60 ohms?

he used throttle body cleaner and then blew it out with compressed air... no change.

If you take the IACV off (by draining some of the coolant and removing the screws on the bottom), you can leave it connected to the plug and test it's operation because then you can see what the valve does perfectly. I assume your mechanic has the manual, if not, let me know and I'll give you the procedure.
give me the procedure please. if you have pics that would be a bonus too...
Old 11-11-09, 12:56 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i need to add something... when coasting on a slight to moderate downhill grade (ie. in gear, but not on the gas, holding a constant speed), the engine starts to surge, as in the car accelerates/decelerates on it's own with the rpms jumping roughly 500rpm in either direction. stepping on the brake makes it stop. this surging also happened only once at a stoplight. i was lightly on the brakes when the first surge happened and the car pushed over the stop line before i could catch it
Old 11-12-09, 01:09 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
i need to add something... when coasting on a slight to moderate downhill grade (ie. in gear, but not on the gas, holding a constant speed), the engine starts to surge, as in the car accelerates/decelerates on it's own with the rpms jumping roughly 500rpm in either direction. stepping on the brake makes it stop. this surging also happened only once at a stoplight. i was lightly on the brakes when the first surge happened and the car pushed over the stop line before i could catch it
Benjamin- When you say you step on the brake and it makes the surging stop, do you mean it stops as long as you stay on the brake, or it stops surging if you just step on the brake and then let off? I am beginning to suspect a vacuum problem. The book does address an "air assist system". To check the IACV operation with it off but still plugged in as I outlined... turn it up so you can see the cylindrical valve. The side that takes the air in should be half open. Have someone turn the ignition to ON (not start). The valve should move to fully closed, fully open and back to half open, all either in .5 sec or .5 each, it's not exactly clear but I assume all 3 in .5 sec. Book says if it doesn't do that, it's bad. I'll leave that decision up to you. If you try that and it work that way, I'll try and research the "air assist" and give you that info. Sorry for the fact i'm technologically challenged in knowing how to post pictures. I'll have time to learn one of these days!
Old 11-12-09, 07:15 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

it stops surging if i just step on the brake and then let off.
Old 11-12-09, 11:09 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

the mechanic says he wants to replace the IACV. he called the local lexus dealership and they quoted over $600 for the part(s)???

does anyone know where i can order the part(s) cheaper and will ship to canada asap? i also need help with part numbers?

Last edited by Benjamin T; 11-12-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-13-09, 12:41 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the mechanic says he wants to replace the IACV. he called the local lexus dealership and they quoted over $600 for the part(s)???

does anyone know where i can order the part(s) cheaper and will ship to canada asap? i also need help with part numbers?
Benjamin- I can't give you all the answers you need, being in Canada, but I'll give what I have. One of the best places I've dealt with is called Partsgeek. Add. is www.partsgeek.com They are in N.J. I believe. They show retail as $248.47 and their price as $175.75 Their shipping rates are very reasonable. This is an Aisin (Lexus original equipment) IACV. Go to the site and you can get the phone # there. I have no idea how things work between here and Canada but you can ask them that. Good Luck!
You have to buy the rubber gasket separate (same with everywhere), but when I replaced the one on my DIL's RX, I used the old one which was in perfect shape and have had no leaks or problems at all in 3 1/2 years.
Old 11-14-09, 11:13 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Carson sells it for $206.23 and ships worldwide.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214915
Old 11-14-09, 12:35 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

IACV is where the rubber meets the road for idle control, but the problem can originate some-where else.

Also it can be as simple as replacing the diamond marked gasket [specially if the idle problem started with messing with IACV. Can you you also give us history ... was the idle ever good? What happened before it went bad.

To check for vacuum leaks, you can try spraying carb cleaner around vacuum lines. [even around the diamond marked gasket]. If the idle shoots up, look for cracks.

If every thing else fails and you can not figure out what is going wrong, you get into the mode of start replacing things one by one and then changing the IACV would be the first logical choice [Your mechanic may be at this point].

Salim
Old 11-15-09, 07:47 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy07
Carson sells it for $206.23 and ships worldwide.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214915
thanks. i put out a lot of email inquiries (many places have a 1-800 number that dosen't work outside of the US, usually a sure sign for me they won't sell to canada), and i've ended up going to http://www.lexusparts.com because they were the only ones who answered my messages, where they have the IACV for about $195 and will ship to canada... but i'm waiting for stock.

unfortunately it costs $60 to ship to me standard ground (at least 5-7 business days)... $180 if i want to overnight it. argh.

Last edited by Benjamin T; 11-15-09 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 07:52 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
IACV is where the rubber meets the road for idle control, but the problem can originate some-where else.

Also it can be as simple as replacing the diamond marked gasket [specially if the idle problem started with messing with IACV. Can you you also give us history ... was the idle ever good? What happened before it went bad.

To check for vacuum leaks, you can try spraying carb cleaner around vacuum lines. [even around the diamond marked gasket]. If the idle shoots up, look for cracks.

If every thing else fails and you can not figure out what is going wrong, you get into the mode of start replacing things one by one and then changing the IACV would be the first logical choice [Your mechanic may be at this point].

Salim
salim,

sorry for the late reply. i could not log onto this site for 2 days for some reason

i've pretty much explained everything that was done by the mechanic who is looking at the car to diagnose this. he's followed the diagnosis procedure as described in the shop manual and the IACV is not closing in accordance to the tests required (ie. ignition on without starting, and observe if the valve cycles). it's taken the mechanic 4 hours to reach this point

the idle has been "good" up to now. at most, it's a bit low at time, especially if all the accessories are on (except for the a/c, which raises the idle). when this first started last month, the shift points seemed off, and sometimes i wouldn't get overdrive/4th. and then there was the big clunk when coming out of park and between reverse/drive. i mistakenly thought it was the beginning of transmission problems, but when i brought it to the mechanic he saw right away there was something wrong with the idle.

does anyone know if in order to change the IACV, does the throttle body have to be removed?

Last edited by Benjamin T; 11-15-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 08:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes and know. The manual calls for it, but I've known others who have been able to get at the four screws directly underneath the throttle body and behind the black piece. In that diagram above you can see one of the screws at the bottom of the picture, if you're folloing along from the service manual it's in the SFI section, page SF-43. Again, you'd need a very small phillips head and it can be a PITA, but yes, it's possible to do without removing it.
Old 10-07-13, 08:34 PM
99gslexus
Driver School Candidate

lexmex... i'm reading the other posts again and everyone has either low or erratic idle, whereas my problem involves the idle being too high... in fact i seem to be the only one with this problem? what makes me so special???
i have a idle problem too. i just changed my spark plugs and cleaned my throttle body. and now when i start my gs300 in the morning it idles around 1800rpm. it takes 7 minutes to idle to 900rpm. how can i readjust the fast idle?