RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rattles & Squeakk anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 07:53 PM
rob_ee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles.. Class action suit anyone?

I have a 2000 model with 25,000 miles of warranty left and it rattles constantly.

Since day one... I even called the dealer the day I picked it up while I was driving home. They told me they may have missed a shipping retainer clip during prep and would get it on the first service. What a bunch of BS. They knew it .. I think every dealer knows these things rattle.

Ive been to four different dealers and complained about all of the following on every visit for the last two years... brake rattle, front strut rattle, uneven tire ware, glass rattles, driver door rattles, gear wine from rear diff, glove compartment rattles, dash rattles, etc..

Ive even taken a mechanic out and pointed out the rattles. Now the excuse is that its got 50,000 miles on it and it is to be expected.. F$$k off.

Ive payed to have a dealer fix the problems and they couldn't solve it. Looks like Lexus dealer service is becoming little more than a high priced minute lube.

I have to drive it with the glove compartment open almost all the time to prevent myself from getting anoyed by the squeek it makes.

Ive built cars up from scratch so I admit I am probably pickier than most but this just shouldn't happen with a lexus. Ive had IROC's and hyundais in university that weren't as anoying.

These things should be recalled over this. Whats wrong with Lexus. At least BMW recalls things when there's a problem. Lexus just sticks its head in the sand. They really should get proactive on this.

BTW: On my last visit to a new lexus dealer I was told that "rattles , interior noise, noisy struts, and noisy brakes are NOT covered under warranty. Toyota/Lexus will only replace a strut or part of the vehicle that has actually mechanically failed. Noise is not a sign of failure."

Any ideas on how to handle this legally? I think there is an expectation of quality. From what ive been told a wheel has pretty much leave the vehicle for the warranty to cover anything.

Old 08-07-02, 08:39 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say you are the exception to the rule. My dealer has been exemplary and my Lexus currently has no squeaks or rattles of any kind. One of my strut mounts did come loose at 40k miles but this was documented by Lexus and fixed free of charge and they replaced both struts "just to be on the safe side". Sounds like either you have a lemon or you have beat the crap out of your RX300. I couldn't be happier with the reliability of mine and the my dealership experience.

As to class action lawsuits? Good luck. Try and get even one third the service from a BMW dealership and see how far you get. I've owned BMW and their warranties are so full of loop holes it'll make you sick. I ended up paying for tons of stuff that they SHOULD have paid. And American cars? Please. I wish every manufacturer backed their products as well as Lexus did.