GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Rattle B pillar passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 08:28 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattle B pillar passenger side

Anyone experience a Rattle seemingly coming from B pillar, passenger side? Could be pillar/seatbelt mechanism, passenger seat or back part of passenger door. Happens ONLY at certain speeds (20-35) and only when going over a SERIES of bumps. (does fine hitting only one bump) . Quasi reproducible by driving over, for example, cobblestones.

Any suggestions to further narrow it down?Not to eager for dealer to take it apart, shove double side tape all over inside the panels and hand it back "fixed".

Thanks
Old 06-20-19, 08:46 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you sure it’s not coming from the sunroof?
Old 06-20-19, 11:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Try lubricating the door seals with
3M 08897 3M 08897
before you do anything. Many of these noises are caused by rubber seals.
Old 06-22-19, 02:25 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Continue to have (at times) what may be similar rattle, which was coming from the seat belt assembly on the pillar. It's not bad enough to take the car in and I can make it go away by fiddling with the height adjustment. It also appears to be more pronounced in colder months as, I'm guessing, the plastic contracts allowing for more movement.

Good luck!
Eric

Last edited by embassured; 06-27-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 04:29 AM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replies. Going to try the silicone spray first. If that doesn't work, I will call around to see if dealers (Good luck with that, I'm thinking) have seen this problem before.
Old 06-24-19, 05:20 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I actually heard this today for the first time today. Sounded like the passenger seat rattled from bumps. But I held the seat at the headrest steady and I still heard it.

I'll adjust the seat belt height and see what happens.
Old 06-24-19, 08:53 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

It could also be the grab bars on the top, there's two on the passenger side.

You can try to remove them and apply some felt in there. See below link for general instructions (it's for IS but same design with pretty much all Lexus models). I did it to all 4, quieted down the squeaks/rattles a little bit. There's still a few more I'm chasing after.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8218268
Old 06-25-19, 09:07 AM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

The rattle is more metallic sounding and coming from down low. So I doubt grab handles.
Old 06-27-19, 05:31 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

My rattle is getting more pronounced. Or I'm just more cognizant of it. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. It's a 2019 and I have only put 1K miles on it in a month.

Seems like it's coming from where the headliner meets the moonroof. But not really sure.
Old 06-29-19, 05:50 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

This is a tough one to diagnose. I have an 18 F Sport with the exact same symptoms. I have yet to find a fix and don't really want the dealer to look at it. Some have had their complete headliner removed to service the sunroof tracks only to have the problem reappear. Mine is random and I think I'll just leave it alone. This is very common in some GS's.
Old 06-29-19, 05:28 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

SOLVED????

Waxing the F today. I bumped the rear bumper cover passenger side and heard a similar rattle. Had a handful of tiny rocks under the bumper cover near the muffler tips. Cleaned it out. Haven't tested yet, but I bet the rattle will be gone.

Try punching the bumper just outside the passenger side muffler tips. Hear a rattle? Let me know.

Looks like the drivers side has a plate to keep rocks out. Is this a design flaw? Or is my passenger side plate missing?

Those soft compound Michelins pick up rocks like crazy; after burnouts, especially.
Old 06-30-19, 04:05 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE

The back cover of the wheel wells is asymmetric. The passenger (right) side is much slimmer (red arrow), covering maybe half the width of the tire. The driver's (left) side covers 90% the width of the tire(bottom pic). See pics.

This allows pebbles to be shot back from the tire, getting caught in the rear bumper cover. I discovered rocks migrated into the plastic pan that covers the fuel tank.

Going to dealer tomorrow, for another issue (making use of my road hazard warranty). Don't expect the underlying rock problem to be fixed, will let you know.

If you do donuts and burnouts (more likely to spin up rocks), give your rear bumper cover, above/next to the muffler tips a punch to check for pebbles. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 06-30-19, 10:17 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesands

UPDATE

The back cover of the wheel wells is asymmetric. The passenger (right) side is much slimmer (red arrow), covering maybe half the width of the tire. The driver's (left) side covers 90% the width of the tire(bottom pic). See pics.

This allows pebbles to be shot back from the tire, getting caught in the rear bumper cover. I discovered rocks migrated into the plastic pan that covers the fuel tank.

Going to dealer tomorrow, for another issue (making use of my road hazard warranty). Don't expect the underlying rock problem to be fixed, will let you know.

If you do donuts and burnouts (more likely to spin up rocks), give your rear bumper cover, above/next to the muffler tips a punch to check for pebbles. Let me know. Thanks.
Saw a rock poking out one of the drain holes of the rear under tray. When i pulled it through, heard rattles throughout the tray. Pulled it down and found about a cupful of pebbles.
Old 06-30-19, 10:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

This is common on the IS F and the GS F. Wet leaves also like to collect in these spots. AMHIK.
Old 07-01-19, 01:09 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesands
SOLVED????

Waxing the F today. I bumped the rear bumper cover passenger side and heard a similar rattle. Had a handful of tiny rocks under the bumper cover near the muffler tips. Cleaned it out. Haven't tested yet, but I bet the rattle will be gone.
For me, the rattling was never audible in the cabin...and like i said, i had bunch in there. Maybe my tinnitus drowns it out.

Quick Reply: Rattle B pillar passenger side