RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Noise from steering column in 1999 RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 08:30 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from steering column in 1999 RX

I am having a whirring noise come from my steering column when I turn the wheel. I first thought it was the power steering pump, but it is fine. The noise seems to come from where the steering wheel meets the steering column. It only makes a sound when I turn the wheel. Could this be a bushing in the steering column? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Old 02-16-09, 08:05 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 259 Posts

Whirring noise or scraping noise? A whirring noise could still be vibrations transmitted through the rack to the steering column.
Old 02-17-09, 04:54 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive gotten this too, mainly only happens when its cold outside, sounds like a little dinosaur right?

i saw a post on this like a month or so ago, dont remember what it said but im sure you could find it without too much trouble
Old 02-17-09, 06:16 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe folks said to spray some silicone into the area where the steering column passes through the fire wall.....
Old 02-17-09, 10:03 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by tomstep2
I am having a whirring noise come from my steering column when I turn the wheel. I first thought it was the power steering pump, but it is fine. The noise seems to come from where the steering wheel meets the steering column. It only makes a sound when I turn the wheel. Could this be a bushing in the steering column? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?

Same Problem Here.

Sounds like it's right under the plastic steering column cover. Kind of a scraping noise.
Old 02-17-09, 10:07 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this as well, started about 6 months ago. Kind of a squeeking when you turn the wheel, I hear it mostly when I am turning the wheel to park or turning the car around.

Sounds like the noise you get when you try to rub something off a window.
Old 02-17-09, 05:33 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by Dietz
I have had this as well, started about 6 months ago. Kind of a squeeking when you turn the wheel, I hear it mostly when I am turning the wheel to park or turning the car around.

Sounds like the noise you get when you try to rub something off a window.
nope, its sounds like a little dinosaur, its all like AAAAaaaaaaarrrreeeeeiiiii
Old 02-18-09, 07:22 AM
london99
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem in 2001

I'm getting a rubbing/squeaky noise when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. I don't drive the car often, maybe once or twice a week, but the noise is sporadic.
Old 02-18-09, 10:57 AM
dblo7
Driver School Candidate

Mine's an 02 and I get the squeaky noise consistently... it sounds like it needs to be lubed or something, but is there a simple way to get at it?
Old 02-18-09, 11:33 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by london99
I'm getting a rubbing/squeaky noise when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. I don't drive the car often, maybe once or twice a week, but the noise is sporadic.
have you noticed a difference with the temperature change of that area in the car, what im getting at is it seems to happen to me only if that area is cold
Old 02-20-09, 04:37 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

it did sound like rubbing something off of a window. It was consistent with no variations due to temperature. I just brought it to my local Lexus dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to my service advisor. The dealer went ahead and took care of it for me since I was already having maintenance done. They said that the bushing where the wheel meets the column needs to be lubed occasionally. Problem solved. Just wanted to pass this along.
Old 02-20-09, 11:20 PM
dblo7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomstep2
it did sound like rubbing something off of a window. It was consistent with no variations due to temperature. I just brought it to my local Lexus dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to my service advisor. The dealer went ahead and took care of it for me since I was already having maintenance done. They said that the bushing where the wheel meets the column needs to be lubed occasionally. Problem solved. Just wanted to pass this along.
how hard is it to get to that bushing?
Old 02-21-09, 06:07 AM
tomstep2
Pole Position

That I do not know. I would take it to a Lexus/Toyota service center to have them tell you or lube it for you. With airbags in the wheel, I would rather them be responsible for anything...
Old 01-03-11, 09:15 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tomstep2. I am going to do that. It is an annoying noise.
Old 01-03-11, 10:44 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Search is your friend but here you go...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-turning.html

Scroll down to where you see LEXMEX's post with pictures and that is what you spray silicone on. I did it the other day cause it started acting up and making that noise and no problems since. Cover it pretty good though because it dries up quick especially if you have never done it.

Quick Reply: Noise from steering column in 1999 RX