RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stiff shifter & Vegas dealers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 07:34 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Stiff shifter & Vegas dealers

This was odd. The gearshift has always been ultra-easy and smooth. However, we just spent a week in central Cali, and the day we left, the car had been parked for a day with the nose just slightly down, and it was actually difficult to move the shift lever around. I could move it to various gears, but it was resisting with verve.

After a while, things warmed up and all was well, so I guess it was a combo of chilly rain, parking a bit nose down and for a day which caused some kind of binding. Anyone come across this? It's not key- or ignition-related, I've not tweaked the 'step on the brake to shift from "P" lockout', though I want to something fierce, and this is the one and only time it's happened. Odd.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how easily and quietly this machine can cruise in the triple-digits. Not far into them, of course, but with an AMG S-class Mercedes and a 5-series BMW cruising at 105 on I-15 south of Vegas, it was impossible to resist making some good time for a half hour. I was pleased with how gentle the govenor is, too, as, with some cars, it's like having the ignition turned off for ten seconds.

I thought the fuel fill problem we had was a permanent problem, and it didn't matter how much gasoline was in it when refilling, it clicked off after only a few ounces for the first 2-3 gallons, after which, it was fine at the pump's full flow. Go figure.

It's not how you hold it or anything like that, we've had this car for over 10K miles, and it just started doing it after pulling it out of storage...which it'd been in for a year. It was almost like something had plugged up the vent tube, but once it got a good whiff of gasoline fumes, it disappeared.

Well, we get back to Vegas, I stop at the gas station, grab a packed lunch and a beer for the extended fill-up routine, and wouldn't you know it, I put the nozzle in, start at about half-flow, it didn't click off, so I cranked it up all the way, and it pumped at max flow until 16.4 gallons showed on the pump's readout. I surely hope it's fixed itself, as that was damned annoying. Sure, it's under warranty still, but I don't want to bring it to the dealer to 'work' on it for three days and determine nothing is wrong.

Say, anyone have any input about Lexus of Las Vegas? This machine has developed a strange front-end clunk I'm thinking about bringing it in for, and I'd like to have a few of the remote locking's settings changed, but don't want to bring it to a dealer who is going to do a crummy job and overcharge for it. Hell, I don't want to be charged to change the settings on the locking system, but that might be unavoidable. It's minor stuff like one push to unlock all doors and opening the sunroof with the windows if you hold the unlock button down, but it'd be nice to have it just the way you wanted it. Too bad us owners aren't able to change what we want, when we want.

Thanks!