RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Cold weather driving on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 08:48 AM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold weather driving on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I've been reading a lot about winter driving on our RCF oem Michelin tires.
I find it hard to believe that we cannot drive the car in sub-30 degree temps.
I understand that driving in snow or sleet is a bad idea, but what if the roads are dry?
I could not find anything on the Michelin web site addressing this.
I live in NJ and do not want to let the car sit for 3 months or so until spring comes.
Old 12-04-14, 09:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I have them, and I'm pretty sure they're classed as 3 season tires.
Old 12-04-14, 01:27 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You can drive them on a sunny day with dry roads. Do you really want to risk skidding on a tiny bit of ice / snow with your brand new $85k car? Not worth it to me. Pick up a set of winter tires if you want to drive it year round.
Old 12-04-14, 01:49 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you don't want to let it sit, then spend the money on proper equipment. They are the main thing holding you to the road, why risk anything when it comes to them?
Old 12-04-14, 02:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
I understand that driving in snow or sleet is a bad idea, but what if the roads are dry?
I live in NJ and do not want to let the car sit for 3 months or so until spring comes.
tire properties change at those temps... you have to get winter ones.

With proper winter tires, you can drive it as much as you want.
Old 12-04-14, 02:44 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If the temps head below 35-40 degree's on those tires, you will need to drive that car like an ES and not an RCF. The compound of the rubber changes at those temps and even on dry roads you will lose traction sooner than you think.

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
Old 12-04-14, 02:46 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run PSS's on all my cars and I ran them on the ISF last winter and almost killed myself about 28 times.

30-40 degrees there is noticeably less traction but they aren't dangerous. 0 degrees things get more fun but still not dangerous in the dry if you're not accelerating heavily or cornering fast.

Now add any amount or type of precip to the equation below 40 degrees and I hope you have your affairs in order.
Old 12-04-14, 03:44 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Winter Tires.. Do you haz 'em?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f/765510-winter-setup-for-rc-f.html

But seriously, get them if you're going to drive your car in cold weather. There are no excuses not to, but if you don't get them, the risk of losing control is pretty high.

Under heavy acceleration, the winter tires I have, have a hard time sticking to the ground. I can't imagine PSS in the same conditions.
Old 02-07-19, 09:30 AM
smysko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible to drive these in sub zero. I know this because I just bought the car on a day when it was -8F. And sub 30 and wet it possible.

Though like Ike someone else mentioned. You have to drive it like a normal car. It will step out in you much sooner than dry/wet conditions at a more normal temperature. Also if there is a hint of ice or snow they are very dangerous. I don’t recommend taking it out. It can get sideways going 10mph just trying to go straight.
Old 02-07-19, 02:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

It is possible to permanently damage the rubber compound at temperatures under 20F.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273
Old 02-07-19, 02:53 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Granted you could drive them in cold weather(not lower than 20F), but the car will slip easier. Factor in Ice or snow, you’re asking for trouble. I’m in NJ as well and I wouldn’t take the chance.

Last edited by Bluecarbon; 02-07-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 03:48 PM
smysko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is possible to permanently damage the rubber compound at temperatures under 20F.

Oops. Well I bought the car feb 1st when the crazy cold vortex was here in Chicago. 2015 with 12k miles one owner 55yrs old. There was a big price drop well below what typical ones in this condition went for. So I just jumped on it. Had no choice but to drive the 100+ mile journey at 0F degrees. Plus a little bit of hooning when I got home after the weather warmed up.

The original oem tires need replacing soon anyway. I haven’t noticed any cracking, and will still drive it maybe once a week or less for the next 2 months. I can come back on and report what happens to them.
Old 02-08-19, 03:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha......the worst feeling is sliding on ice at less than 5mph on a slight down incline and YOU KNOW the car you are driving is NOT gonna stop UNTIL you hit something!!! Or the opposite......you are stationary and stuck on ice and another car sliding into you at a very slow speed AND YOU KNOW YOU CAN AVOID THE ACCIDENT ONLY IF YOU CAN GET SOME TRACTION ON THE TIRES TO GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Originally Posted by smysko
It is possible to drive these in sub zero. I know this because I just bought the car on a day when it was -8F. And sub 30 and wet it possible.

Though like Ike someone else mentioned. You have to drive it like a normal car. It will step out in you much sooner than dry/wet conditions at a more normal temperature. Also if there is a hint of ice or snow they are very dangerous. I don’t recommend taking it out. It can get sideways going 10mph just trying to go straight.
Old 02-08-19, 05:03 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

this^ - well known, don't do it. waste of the car and some pricey tires. Get the right equipment to drive in winter.
Old 02-08-19, 07:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2.

A well documented phenomenon.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm

Originally Posted by Apone
this^ - well known, don't do it. waste of the car and some pricey tires. Get the right equipment to drive in winter.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (02-09-19)

Quick Reply: Cold weather driving on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires