RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Clicking and rough downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 08:52 PM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clicking and rough downshifting

Hi all, I have a 2015 rcf with 10k miles and at about 9k miles I noticed whenever I'm coming to stoplight or stop sign from above about 30-40mph I'll get a slight jerk at around the 18-20mph mark which I'm guessing is the car downshifting. Now what I'm wondering is if that jerking is normal. Also I'll roll down my window and go down a quiet street and see if I could replicate it and I can and I also notice sometimes there's a clicking noise that goes along with the jerking. Wondering if anyone else has this same experience.
Old 10-28-16, 05:22 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does that too. I had an IS back in 07 that did the same thing. I'm not worried about it. That's what warranty is for.
Old 10-28-16, 09:54 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I have that slow jerking downshifting as well but not the clicking. I had the TSB reflash and it still did not fix it. The TSB on the fuel pump was not really meant to address it, FYI.
Old 10-28-16, 03:38 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same problem. It's worse in sports plus and manual mode. The car hates downshifting when the tach is anywhere near 2k rpm. Major driveline lash.
Old 10-28-16, 07:44 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

There are numerous tranny issues with the RC F. Most are just annoying and not really that important. I personally haven't noticed your issue.

Just recently I found one problem with mine in this colder weather we are having here in NC.

When my car hasn't fully warmed up yet it often doesn't want to upshift in manual mode unless I let off of the gas. I also can not get it to shift any higher than 6th gear when it's cold, no matter what I do. But once it gets up to operating temperature it works fine. It also works fine in auto mode. I even went to auto mode to get to 8th gear, then switched back to manual. Manually downshift to 7th and can't go back to 8th in manual.

I say cold, but this is even after it sat for 8 minutes at idle since I use Enform to start it. It just hasn't reached operating temperature yet on both of the temperature gauges when it's 50 degrees outside.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting some all season tires put on Monday. These summer tires don't grip for anything when it's 50 degrees. I can easily break traction when flooring it even near the top of 2nd gear. I ordered 265/285 of the Pilots A/S 3+. I'm hoping the extra width will help to offset the reduction in grip on warmer days vs. the summer brand. But that's not relevant here.
Old 10-28-16, 08:36 PM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess I feel sorta better to hear other people are expeirencig this issue as well. It's pretty annoying to feel a slight jolt every time your coming to a stop. Another thing is I feel like it didn't happen up until recently which makes me think it has something to do with the ecu "learning" how I drive. I'm wondering if resetting it could help solve the problem. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend and give you guys an update. Or if anyone else has tried it and would like to share would be helpful too lol
Old 10-28-16, 08:44 PM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davew77
There are numerous tranny issues with the RC F. Most are just annoying and not really that important. I personally haven't noticed your issue.

Just recently I found one problem with mine in this colder weather we are having here in NC.

When my car hasn't fully warmed up yet it often doesn't want to upshift in manual mode unless I let off of the gas. I also can not get it to shift any higher than 6th gear when it's cold, no matter what I do. But once it gets up to operating temperature it works fine. It also works fine in auto mode. I even went to auto mode to get to 8th gear, then switched back to manual. Manually downshift to 7th and can't go back to 8th in manual.

I say cold, but this is even after it sat for 8 minutes at idle since I use Enform to start it. It just hasn't reached operating temperature yet on both of the temperature gauges when it's 50 degrees outside.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting some all season tires put on Monday. These summer tires don't grip for anything when it's 50 degrees. I can easily break traction when flooring it even near the top of 2nd gear. I ordered 265/285 of the Pilots A/S 3+. I'm hoping the extra width will help to offset the reduction in grip on warmer days vs. the summer brand. But that's not relevant here.
yea your right, seems like mostly an annoying issue than a real issue of functionality. Still I pay 90k (60k between me and you) for a car I don't want any problems lol if only we lived in a perfect world haha crazy how we find these minor issues then start messing around to see if we could replicate it and such lol sounds like the beast just isn't ready to be unleashed so early on those cold mornings for you haha luckily out here in so cal we don't really have to worry about cold weather messing with performance. Although at 10k miles it's almost time to replace my tires, definitely sliding around more often than I should haha
Old 10-28-16, 08:59 PM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/721016-jerk-jolt-clunk-when-coming-to-a-stop-3.html

found this thread just now with some older model gs owners having almost the exact same issue. Ended up being the ecu. I've taken my car to newport lexus and they drove it and said there was nothing wrong with it. I might have to go down there and cause some ruckus and ask to drive one of their techs to replicate the problem. After all the car is still under warranty.