RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 06:28 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?

Hi! is there any splash guards we can install on the RCF? From my latest canyon drive after a rain, my car was the most affected one compared to C63, Porsche, M4/M5, Z06 and it's not good.

Old 03-12-16, 09:40 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing you can really do except get some PPF in that area.
Old 03-13-16, 04:01 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
Nothing you can really do except get some PPF in that area.
This.

Mudflaps/splash guards are going to cause a lot more drag and mess up the carefully calculated areo design of the car.

IMHO, paint protection should be the very first mod done on this car.
Old 03-13-16, 07:28 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you dont have PPF now you may already have some deep scars in the paint depending on how coarse the mud might have been. Make sure you get them corrected before putting on the PPF. After I got some scars, I had PPF put on the rocker panel but did not do the rear fender (rocket level) but wish I had. You can see my green annotation in one of the attached that shows the ppf edge.

After I had the car detailed (paint correction) and PPF added to the rocker panels, I decided to buy
Rally Armor Universal Basic Mud Flaps Part #: MF12-BAS-BLK. You can only put these on the front since there are no existing bolts for the rear.
I only put them on when I am on road trips where there might be gravel or mud. There are 2 bolts on each side and a plastic push pin that you can replace with a bolt. Rotate the Flap 90 degrees to be able reach the inside bolt. I created a paper template to transfer the hole locations from the car to the mud flaps.
I used washers to create a better (flatter) mating surface between the flap and the Lexus plastic cover in the fender well. You might consider a bevel washer on the other side of each next to the bolt head. I put a little glue each of the bolts just so the bolts dont come out with road vibration. This is especially true of the bolt that is used in the push pin hole since it does not really tighten as much as I would like. When my muddy trip is over I just just take them off. They only look crappy for a few seconds until you remember the mud and scars that can get on the car. This solution does protect my paint for a road trip and then they can be removed. If you already have white/gray scars in the paint, try some Dr ColorChip that is color matchesd to your Infared, and have the rocker corrected by a detailer to remove all scratches and then add the PPF. I found 1 picture that I took on a trip and attached it so you can see how they look from the front view.
Attached Thumbnails RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?-rally-ar-pr.jpg   RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?-dsc_3298.jpg   RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?-dsc_3297.jpg   RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?-rocker-panel-scars-before-ppf.jpg   RCF Splash Guards or Mud Flaps?-trip-to-ca-from-az.jpg  

Last edited by rjmalm; 03-13-16 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 04:15 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't put one at all.