RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Radar plug in location/ cigarette lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 09:56 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Radar plug in location/ cigarette lighter?

Super noob question. Where do I plug in my radar detector? I can't find any plug in besides the center console.

Thanks
Old 02-14-16, 11:57 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I use one of the extension cord type devices. It has a female end and I run it between the seats.
Any auto parts store or Amazon has it.

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Super noob question. Where do I plug in my radar detector? I can't find any plug in besides the center console.

Thanks
Old 02-14-16, 01:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hardwired mine in my first RX, running wires behind the trim on the left "A" pillar and across to a point above the mirror. It was completely out of sight and when connected to an ignition terminal behind the dash, worked perfectly for years.

I ran the wiring but had my dealer make the connections as I was pressed for time and was having them secure a bracket to the floor to hold a table for my laptop. I'd considered doing all the work myself, but a friend here had drilled into his floorboard . . . and straight into a brake line manifold on his LS. Boy was THAT expensive! Kinda lost my nerve at that point.
Old 02-15-16, 05:46 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy a 'MirrorTap' cable. You don't have to mess with the wiring at all, and it's fully reversible. The pins are inserted to the back of the mirror connector. If you want an even better option, also buy the 'BlendMount' aluminum bracket. That's what I did since day 1. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Radar plug in location/ cigarette lighter?-rc-f-rd-8.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
greatgonz (06-14-21)
Old 02-15-16, 05:55 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Buy a 'MirrorTap' cable. You don't have to mess with the wiring at all, and it's fully reversible. The pins are inserted to the back of the mirror connector. If you want an even better option, also buy the 'BlendMount' aluminum bracket. That's what I did since day 1. Good luck.
Nice! Could you please take another picture from passenger side?

Mirrortap.com doesn't have the rcf model option, which model did you pick for your rcf?

How long did you have it installed? Amy complications or possible short circuit the mirror?
Old 02-15-16, 06:27 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Will take a picture later. You need Mirror Tap model MT-2009 if you use the mirror bracket, which I have. If you want to use the suction cups to the left of the mirror, by your sun-visor, then I'd probably choose the MT-2012. You can always hide the excess a couple of different ways. If you like it on the passenger side (with suction cups), then MT2015, which is the longest. But that also depends where the cable hooks up on your detector (I have a V1, so on the right side). As you can probably tell by now, the last 2 digits are the length of the cable in inches. The first digit is the size of the taps, 2 being the middle one. Never bother with #3; it's too wimpy. And #1 is for older vehicles, with larger connectors. Those #2 taps are really sturdy; they don't bend unless you really want to.

As far as installation, I highly recommend removing the mirror. And using the connector inside the mirror, so everything is done outside the car, without touching the actual car connector to the mirror. And the good news is inside the mirror are only 3 wires: negative (black), positive switched, and positive constant. You simply cannot screw up the connection unless you connect both +. Also know all MirrorTap wires are fused, so if you make such stipidity, your detector and car wiring would be fine (sacrificing the MT cable, of course). I did a detailed installation write-up; look for it. Hope this helps.