RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model
View Poll Results: Has your RC F experienced any Fuel Pump issues?
None yet, car's mileage is BELOW 5000 miles.
35.06%
None yet, car's mileage is ABOVE 5000 miles.
40.26%
Yes, with car's mileage BELOW 5000 miles.
10.39%
Yes, with car's mileage ABOVE 5000 miles.
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Has your RC F experienced any Fuel Pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 04:27 PM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RC F without fuel pump issues

I'd like to hear from those who have not experienced any fuel pump issues and their mileage.
I'm seeing a number of posts of those who have had/having fuel pumps go out, but would like to get feedback from forum members without that issue to get a better picture of how widespread this problem is or isn't.
My car is still quite new, so no issues so far.
600 miles vin 4333 received 9/2015

MODERATOR EDIT: Converted into a poll upon popular request to increase ease of information visibility. Please vote and comment!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-15-16 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 04:29 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

only @ 2100 miles, but no issues so far.
Old 11-04-15, 04:57 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keithS
I'd like to hear from those who have not experienced any fuel pump issues and their mileage.
10k, no problem but at 16k pump started to make the noise while on a long road trip, 5-6hr of constant freeway driving it started. Seems to also be related to colder temperatures.
vin ending in 2669, arrived in 5/2015.

Last edited by rjmalm; 09-12-16 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update, status changed, noise started after I voted
Old 11-04-15, 05:17 PM
SleepKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
10k, no problem. vin ending in 2669, arrived in 5/2015
2 Units away from you! VIN 2667 No issues yet.

7K ODO, no wing issues either even though my number is on the TSB...
Old 11-04-15, 05:18 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

No problems in 800+ miles (build date 6/15). OP, you need a poll for that buddy. Ask a mod to add it. Otherwise, you'd have to read every freaking post and manually count . Good luck doing that after a few pages.

My issue with Lexus is they haven't acknowledge the issue, even though Lexus Japan knows damn well of it. But most importantly, bad pumps are being replaced with equally bad units. THAT is totally unacceptable. I wouldn't take my car in to change the fuel pump even with a TSB. But it'd be nice to know if it failed, I'd only have to deal with the inconvenience ONCE. That's called customer service... not just giving you cookies and crap every time you have to go for the same thing. Rant over.
Old 11-04-15, 05:49 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5/15 build date 1k miles no issues (Knock on wood)
Old 11-04-15, 06:02 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
No problems in 800+ miles (build date 6/15). OP, you need a poll for that buddy. Ask a mod to add it. Otherwise, you'd have to read every freaking post and manually count . Good luck doing that after a few pages.

My issue with Lexus is they haven't acknowledge the issue, even though Lexus Japan knows damn well of it. But most importantly, bad pumps are being replaced with equally bad units. THAT is totally unacceptable. I wouldn't take my car in to change the fuel pump even with a TSB. But it'd be nice to know if it failed, I'd only have to deal with the inconvenience ONCE. That's called customer service... not just giving you cookies and crap every time you have to go for the same thing. Rant over.

ideally in a perfect world. sorry but we don't live in a perfect world.

the vehicle is too new, and there are not enough reported issues on the matter for Lexus to do anything except replace the pumps at this point.

this is how the world of car manufacturers work, and Toyota is no different.

I've stated it once, Toyota KNEW of an issue with the 2007-2009 Camry Hybrid batteries failing, they had 30,000 reported issues, according to records they sold 254,000 Camry hybrids in those 3 model years. So 8.4% of them had issues and they did nothing other than a TSB to replace the battery under the standard warranty even though the failure of the battery would seize the steering and braking systems and resulted in over 300 accidents; it wasn't until the NHTSB opened an investigation into it in 2012 that Toyota took any steps.

And even at that, the only thing they did was to issue a warning to owners and extend the warranty on the battery to 10 years 150,000 from the 3/36 original.

but anyone that was outside the 3/36 that forked over $4,400 for the battery between 2007 and 2012 was basically SOL, they would receive some reimbursement, but it was prorated based on mileage from the time of replacement.

Now with 254,000 Camry Hybrids sold and 8.4% indicating failure and nothing done for 8 model years, what exactly do you think Lexus will do about a failed fuel pump on a very limited production vehicle where at this point less than 1/10th of 1% have had the issue?

So far indications are that less than 7,000 RC's (350s and F's) have been sold, and a hand full of people have had the issue.

Lexus IMO will not address the issue with anything other than a TSB to replace with existing inventory until either someone is killed as a result or they start losing enough money in warranty parts and labor to justify the R&D to replace the part.
Old 11-04-15, 06:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

^^ That's not entirely accurate...

How about if I told you Lexus enginners are actively working on the Fuel Pump resolution.. And something should be announced soon..??!!

~ Joe Z
Old 11-04-15, 06:10 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

VIN 3281 with almost 5k miles. No issues with either wing or fuel pump.
Old 11-04-15, 06:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ That's not entirely accurate...

How about if I told you Lexus enginners are actively working on the Fuel Pump resolution.. And something should be announced soon..??!!

~ Joe Z

it's not inaccurate, this is how car manufacturers react to minor issues.

it would be nice if Lexus was doing something, and it would be great if they held the pump manufacturer responsible and required them to fix the issue and supersede the part number with a corrected version. And if they are I will stand corrected.

But I saw this behavior from Toyota with my wife's Camry, and I am a bit jaded having working as an ASE master tech for one of the big 3 for 20 odd years.

I've seen this type of reactive behavior from car manufacturers (and appliance manufacturers) and have been on the front lines dealing with it.

The best thing I ever did for myself and my health was get out of the car and manufacturing industry and take a nice CIO position in a different industry that believes in proactive not reactive behavior when it comes to product development.
Old 11-04-15, 06:22 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
ideally in a perfect world. sorry but we don't live in a perfect world.
And who said anything about 'ideal', or 'perfect world'? I said ACKNOWLEDGE the issue, not fix the issue. VERY different words buddy (grab a dictionary). It's very different to acknowledge a problem and say you're investigating it, and/or doing something about it, than just stay silent and treat customers like beta-testers... because it can happen to any other car. WTF man? You don't work in public relations, do you? J/K. I'm used to crap like that, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. In fact, it's completely unacceptable to treat a customer buying an $80K (in my case) car like if it was a $15K Kia... but it'd be wrong even for Kia customers. And apparently I'm far from the only one. Besides, having fuel pump issues with a freaking port-injection pump at this stage (when they're on their way out) is just plain embarrassing. I bet Lexus is looking at a new vendor as we speak, since nobody has to reinvent the wheel to make a reliable EFI pump. So why the hell not say exactly that to their customers with that problem, to ACKNOWLEDGE they know of it, and are trying to fix it asap? THAT would be very different to me than silence. And to most owners as well, I'm sure. Later.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-04-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 07:59 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just over 10000km and not a single issue yet. I even bought a spare fuel pump just in case lol
Old 11-04-15, 08:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Just over 10000km and not a single issue yet. I even bought a spare fuel pump just in case lol
Post some pics of the actual pump already..!!!

Joe Z
Old 11-05-15, 03:19 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I can take a pic when I get home next week, but for now I can tell you it looks like any other old fuel pump. Like this
Old 11-05-15, 03:24 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 3800 miles no issues. VIN 3322

Quick Reply: Poll: Has your RC F experienced any Fuel Pump issues?