Manual Mode stuck in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 03:44 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Manual Mode stuck in 5th

Hey guys,

I have only driven my car a handful of times, but I noticed the past two times, that it sticks in 5th gear during the time that the oil temperature finally gets above the 1/4 mark until it finally settles.

It doesn't stick before reaching the quarter mark, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't stick in auto mode.

This doesn't sound like something that should be normal, but what say you?
Old 11-10-15, 06:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Hey guys,

I have only driven my car a handful of times, but I noticed the past two times, that it sticks in 5th gear during the time that the oil temperature finally gets above the 1/4 mark until it finally settles.

It doesn't stick before reaching the quarter mark, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't stick in auto mode.

This doesn't sound like something that should be normal, but what say you?
Typically you will want to get the Engine Oil & Trans Oil up to Normal Operating temps before using "Manual Mode"

Standard procedure we use on the IS F, since 2008

~ Joe Z
Old 11-10-15, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

My IS and NX behave in the same manner until normal operating temperature is hit. It's normal. I have no ownership experience with the RC F but behavior looks the same.
Old 11-10-15, 07:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I always drive in manual mode (no reason not to), hot or cold. Could you explain exactly what's happening? Stuck is one thing. Not going beyond 5th is another. Which one is it? Another thing: sport+ doesn't let you shift beyond 5th or 6th until certain speeds. And I don't like that. But now that I did the intake mod, don't drive in sport+ anymore since the shifts are equally fast (up and down) in sport when in manual mode (what I always use). Try using just sport when cold. Then switch to sport+ after reaching operating temp if you want. If you CANNOT downshift out of 5th gear, then you have a problem. But doubt that's the case. Let us know.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-10-15 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 08:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

The Manual specifically tells you NOT to do this while stile "Cold"

Joe Z

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I always drive in manual mode (no reason not to), hot or cold. Could you explain exactly what's happening? Stuck is one thing. Not going beyond 5th is another. Which one is it? Another thing: sport+ doesn't let you shift beyond 5th or 6th until certain speeds. And I don't like that. But now that I did the intake mod, don't drive in sport+ anymore since the shifts are equally fast (up and down) in sport when in manual mode (what I always use). Try using just sport when cold. Then switch to sport+ after reaching operating temp if you want. If you CANNOT downshift out of 5th gear, then you have a problem. But doubt that's the case. Let us know.
Old 11-10-15, 08:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Manual specifically tells you NOT to do this while stile "Cold"
What page? Curious to see what it says. Don't remember reading anything when I read the entire manual. But even if it says something, it'd be assuming you'd drive like an a$$ in manual mode. I don't, and will continue to do it that way... and nothing will happen. The tranny changes gears when cold; it doesn't matter if by itself or by you. Gear changes are lethargic as hell when cold, auto or manual, so makes no difference. The converter doesn't start locking until tranny temp is up, and you're more aggressive with the throttle and rpm. With electronic controls, you're not going to do any damage to the drivetrain on this car, especially if you take it easy... but to each his own.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-10-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 09:46 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess you just have to foreplay it a lil bit and give it more time before she reaches her orgasmic gears...
Old 11-10-15, 11:00 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I meant won't go into 6th gear.
I know about the speed limitations.

Anyway, I will do as JoeZ suggests. It is not like you can have any fun with the car before it warms up anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-11-15, 06:13 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it in auto until it's warmed up, the oil that is unless you want to look like a fool, have bad shifts, and enjoy trying to destroy your car.
Old 11-11-15, 04:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Yeah, I meant won't go into 6th gear.
THAT makes more sense, and it's perfectly normal, especially in sport+. Just like not being able to exceed the reduced rpm redline when oil is still cold. My car behaves perfectly in manual mode, but again, I'm not aggressive when engine is cold. The tranny changes gears exactly the same way whether by itself or manually. That's the beauty of smart electronic control. But JoeZ can drive it in reverse if he wants.
Old 11-11-15, 05:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
THAT makes more sense, and it's perfectly normal, especially in sport+. Just like not being able to exceed the reduced rpm redline when oil is still cold. My car behaves perfectly in manual mode, but again, I'm not aggressive when engine is cold. The tranny changes gears exactly the same way whether by itself or manually. That's the beauty of smart electronic control. But JoeZ can drive it in reverse if he wants.
YEUP ... I do Sport Mode Plus paddle shifting through reverse will traveling backwards on the Fwy

Anywho, Manual Mode driving / shifting is limited (useless) for the first 5 mins from a COLD start..

Joe Z
Old 11-11-15, 05:58 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
YEUP ... I do Sport Mode Plus paddle shifting through reverse will traveling backwards on the Fwy

Anywho, Manual Mode driving / shifting is limited (useless) for the first 5 mins from a COLD start..

Joe Z
Shouldn't this just be COMMON Sense