RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F question.. dash readout.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 05:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default RC-F question.. dash readout.

is there a voltage readout for the RCF dash, I haven't been able to find one in all the menus, but I swear I saw a video showing one.
Old 11-07-15, 12:32 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe another intended feature removed. But I've never seen it. If you want to know, just buy one of those $5 eBay BT OBD2 adapters and you can watch that and many more parameters from free apps for your smart phone (car doctor, torque, etc). I should get mine next Tuesday, and will use it to change some of the Lexus customizable features with a $19 app from Carista (it doesn't support live parameters, however. But includes all DTCs, including Lexus specific ones). Yes, I know you can do that free (once) on your first service, but I don't take my cars to service anymore, unless I absolutely have to... even if free. But remember you have an idiot light if something goes wrong with your charging system. A voltage gauge is useless to me in a modern car, so don't miss it one bit . It's always parked at 14.x anyway (regulator can change it though), regardless of battery condition.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-07-15 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-07-15, 11:15 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

already have one ELP_JC, technically it's a HUD display, and it has the voltage on it.

just wondering if there was one in the cluster, I find it completely stupid that as electronic heavy as cars are today the only thing manufacturers include is a damn idiot light for the electrical system.
Old 11-07-15, 01:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Voltage reading is useless on modern cars man: it's always the same, hot, cold, or whatever. No different than an idiot light. Remember if your charging system craps out, it's going to happen instantly. And if that happens, you'd immediately get an idiot light, to tell you you're on battery juice alone. Yes, your gauge would show battery voltage... but at what point does your car stop working? You don't know, so again, useless. I'd MUCH rather have a transmission oil temperature gauge. That is a glaring omission in a sports car IMO. Having said that, I'd also like a TRUE coolant and oil temperature gauges, like on most sport bikes (if equipped), Corvettes and GTRs. Not the buffered crap in all other cars, including ours. Buffered means once temp is in its normal operating range, needle stays in the middle and doesn't move. But at least those gauges let you know you reached normal operating temperature, so are somewhat useful (voltage is basically a gauge idiot light). Coolant temps fluctuate from 180 to about 235ºF, and oil from 160 to 245 or so, and our gauges always stay in the middle, rather than moving all the time, exactly where they are. If temps go above their top range in our car (and others), then the needles suddlenly move towards redline in a hurry. I like to know how quickly temps are rising when driving aggressively, not when they're at their limit all of a sudden. But I agree most cars on the road need them buffered, or their ignorant owners would flood dealerships thinking something is wrong with their cars.

Forgot to say I wouldn't mind a voltage gauge/meter (the more the better)... but only after having engine and transmission oil gauges first. And true (not buffered) gauges at that.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-07-15 at 01:45 PM.