RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Double-clicking downshifts in M

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 11:12 AM
buch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double-clicking downshifts in M

I'm not that familiar with automatic transmissions, so I don't understand why this transmission has to pass through the intermediate gear when I double-down (let alone the time it takes to get there)?? Even the clumsy RTronic transmission in my R8 would go directly to the intended gear. Can someone explain why this is necessary in this box? Perhaps this can be remedied with a reflash of the trans software - either factory or aftermarket? Thanks,
Old 10-25-15, 12:06 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a Lexus. No factory or aftermarket flash is available.
Old 10-25-15, 12:08 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Because it's not a dual clutch and a standard auto
Old 10-25-15, 01:48 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AKA5
Because it's not a dual clutch and a standard auto
What is the Advantage of the dual clutch, it seems like a lot of guys really like them say compared to what's in the RCF. I don't know anything about them, which cars actually have them or the advantages or disadvantages of having one. Thanks
Old 10-26-15, 02:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
What is the Advantage of the dual clutch, it seems like a lot of guys really like them say compared to what's in the RCF. I don't know anything about them, which cars actually have them or the advantages or disadvantages of having one. Thanks
try the shifting in the bmw m or the pdk in porsche. with dual clutch, shifting is much faster. but it also means it's likely heavier
Old 10-26-15, 03:49 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer having a regular torque converter automatic that locks gears from 2-8 than having a true dual clutch auto-manual a la PDK and DCT.

Why? Because for all intents and purposes, I drive in D mode 99% of the time as I use all my cars for errands, cruises, and limited canyon carving. Going up and down gears on the 10, 405, 110 simply doesn't fit my lifestyle.

Should you want to feel like a racer on public roads or if you do in fact track your car, then look elsewhere. The RCF doesn't pretend to be what it isn't. It's a GT sports coupe more in line with the Aston Martin experience than 911.
Old 10-26-15, 08:37 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but it also means it's likely heavier
Nope. Heavier than a manual tranny? Yes. But heavier than a torque-converter auto? No way. That's part of the reason the RC-F weighs over 2 tons.

Originally Posted by ROK
I prefer having a regular torque converter automatic that locks gears from 2-8 than having a true dual clutch auto-manual a la PDK and DCT. Why? Because for all intents and purposes, I drive in D mode 99% of the time
Newer DCTs shift almost like a TC auto nowadays. But shift immensely quicker when you want them to, especially with various selectable modes, a la BMW or Porsche. You're probably in the minority if you're completely happy with the Aisin tranny on this car. I'd trade it for a DCT in a heartbeat. Having said that, the tranny is not a deal-breaker since it performs acceptably when the car is driven aggressively. But other than that, it leaves a lot to be desired, especially with the downshifts. And how the tranny interrupts engine braking when downshifting (not nearly quick enough). The GTR is another story, but Nissan hasn't updated that ancient tranny. Drive a new BMW, Porsche, etc., and you'd hear nary a clunk, and would have a hard time finding fault with them, even during leisure driving in traffic.
Old 10-26-15, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Nope. Heavier than a manual tranny? Yes. But heavier than a torque-converter auto? No way. That's part of the reason the RC-F weighs over 2 tons.
yes, good point my apology. when i wrote i naturally thought of dct vs mt (thinking of my e93 and the lfa)
Old 10-27-15, 05:26 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I prefer having a regular torque converter automatic that locks gears from 2-8 than having a true dual clutch auto-manual a la PDK and DCT.

Why? Because for all intents and purposes, I drive in D mode 99% of the time as I use all my cars for errands, cruises, and limited canyon carving. Going up and down gears on the 10, 405, 110 simply doesn't fit my lifestyle.

Should you want to feel like a racer on public roads or if you do in fact track your car, then look elsewhere. The RCF doesn't pretend to be what it isn't. It's a GT sports coupe more in line with the Aston Martin experience than 911.
I drive Aston's at least once per year for a 4-day weekend in Florida as a result of my buddy's generosity. The car is very nice, but the F is still my preferred ride. The tranny is plenty quick in the RC F when you rev the V8 to 6,000 rpm and above.

I agree: the RC F has set a new level for luxury and performance unlike the class competitors. The F is what it is. Love it or leave it.
Old 10-27-15, 06:31 PM
Db750
Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I typed up a really long response to this question, but there is a simple way to answer. It is not only the actual speed and responsiveness of the dct that is better than the auto, but it is also the feel and the sound that the dct gets out of the engine. It gives you a more connected feel to the motor that an auto can not replicate, and the shifts sound absolutely glorious. Downshifts at lower rpms make a loud bark in my M3, and at higher rpms the engine literally screams. An automatic transmission can not offer this level of connection, the level of sound and response from the engine, or the shift speed both up and down of a dct.

After my second (more extensive) test drive of the RCF last Saturday I have come to the conclusion that the transmission is actualy the number one thing I would change in the RCF. Even above and beyond the massive weight. The RCF is just begging for a DCT mated up to that awesome NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8. A dct would absolutely transform everything about the RCF from the feel, to the sound...to the speed. It won't be a deal breaker for me, but I will say if the RCF had a DCT I would be in a much bigger hurry to get one.
Old 10-28-15, 03:24 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by Db750
I typed up a really long response to this question, but there is a simple way to answer. It is not only the actual speed and responsiveness of the dct that is better than the auto, but it is also the feel and the sound that the dct gets out of the engine. It gives you a more connected feel to the motor that an auto can not replicate, and the shifts sound absolutely glorious. Downshifts at lower rpms make a loud bark in my M3, and at higher rpms the engine literally screams. An automatic transmission can not offer this level of connection, the level of sound and response from the engine, or the shift speed both up and down of a dct.

After my second (more extensive) test drive of the RCF last Saturday I have come to the conclusion that the transmission is actualy the number one thing I would change in the RCF. Even above and beyond the massive weight. The RCF is just begging for a DCT mated up to that awesome NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8. A dct would absolutely transform everything about the RCF from the feel, to the sound...to the speed. It won't be a deal breaker for me, but I will say if the RCF had a DCT I would be in a much bigger hurry to get one.
I own a PDK porsche and trust me when I tell you this. the upshifts on the RCF are as QUICK as the pdk... but the tranny is a bit dumb with downshifts on the RCF though.
Old 10-28-15, 05:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and it would be more expensive if it had to get an all new transmission that it would only share with F models. DCTs require more maintenance than an AT also. A good AT is good enough for 95% of the drivers out there. DCTs have low speed smoothness issues as well. the 9DCT in the TLX has a torque converter in 1-2nd gears for a reason.
Old 10-28-15, 05:44 AM
Db750
Driver

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
I own a PDK porsche and trust me when I tell you this. the upshifts on the RCF are as QUICK as the pdk... but the tranny is a bit dumb with downshifts on the RCF though.
In my original post I did mention that the upshifts were satisfactory in the RCF, although not great, it was the downshifts that were more dissapointing. That and the overall feel, connection and sound that I felt through the transmission. I have driven cars with the SMG3, SMG2, first and second gen DCT, 997 PDK, 991 PDK, MCT, whatever Audi calls their dual clutch (RS5) to name a few. The transission is one of the most important factors for me.

Having said that I must assume that your porsche is of the 997 generation becuase there is no way that the rcf trans is faster than the pdk in the 991.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and it would be more expensive if it had to get an all new transmission that it would only share with F models. DCTs require more maintenance than an AT also. A good AT is good enough for 95% of the drivers out there. DCTs have low speed smoothness issues as well. the 9DCT in the TLX has a torque converter in 1-2nd gears for a reason.
So your argument is basically that it is good enough and that we should settle for an auto? Great.

Some of us are looking for more in our car, and more from Lexus. Cost should have been less of an issue when developing the RCF. Lexus/Toyota could have afforded it. Maybe they were trying to make back some of the money the lost on the amazing LFA? Then maybe the RCF wouldn't be the forgotten model in this segment and there wouldn't be hundreds of brand new examples rotting on dealership floors.

I will say that in my e92 there can be some low speed jerkiness when I let a friend drive the car for the first time, but for me that is never an issue. What we are talking about is a car that takes just a little bit more skill to master; something that used to not be frowned upon. Having said that I can only assume that you have not driven the most current generation of DCTs as this is no longer an issue (for all I know you may have never driven any dct). In the F chassis BMW's I have driven and the 991 chassis porsche you can simply shift the trans into less aggressive and auto setting and let it do the work. To the novice there will be no discernible difference. I rented an F10 M5 for the day and was absolutely blown away by how good the dct is in auto. At the time I had a V10 M6 with the SMG3 which was bad in auto mode so this was something that I was curious to test out.

Simply put a well programmed and set up DCT can be as smooth as an auto for the buyers that want to just cruise around in their luxurious top model RCF, but for those of us looking for a more sporty and engaging experience the auto can never match the dct for speed, feel, connectivity, emotion, or sound. The auto transmission is 95% of the reason why when we purchase this car it will be my wife's an not mine.
Old 10-28-15, 09:20 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Link to TOP Accelerations: RC F and M4

Double clutch or not, the RC F gets the job done despite the disparity in milliseconds.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...thread-86.html
Old 10-28-15, 01:20 PM
Db750
Driver

For those that have little to no experience with a good DCT the Aisin unit in the RCF will "get the job done". For those of us that have 1000's of paddles slaps in the fine double clutches offered by the likes of BMW and Porsche the Aisin is at very best a compromise.

The upshifts are good, but that is where it ends. The downshifts are sluggish and lack the feel and connectivity that is offered by a dual clutch. Furthermore the actual throw of the paddle has a cheaper "click" feel where as the BMW paddle has a more substantial "thunk".

It is very disappointing knowing how good the NA V8 would feel and sound channeled through a dual clutch. Lexus knocked it out of the park with the instantaneous and linear NA power, but unfortunately you have to fight through transmission lag to feel it. A dual clutch transmission would have transformed this car for those of us looking for a more sporty and engaging experience, and tuned correctly it would have given up nothing to a smooth torque converter auto for those, like my wife, that want a more luxurious ride.

Quick Reply: Double-clicking downshifts in M