RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 10:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by discohero
Hey guys, new to this forum and was looking to pick up an RC F very soon. Maybe as soon as this weekend so I can have something fun to drive around this summer. I was wondering how serious and prevalent this fuel pump problem is. Do you guys think I should wait on getting the car until Lexus corporate addresses it with a fix or is it just a few cars being affected? Would like to get some owners' advice before making the leap. Thanks in advance!
See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...mp-issues.html

Lou
Old 05-30-16, 09:47 AM
Sal11585
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another update guys. So my fuel pump noise still has not returned since turning off eco mode and switching to Sunoco gas. I really think turning off the eco mode did it and as a added bonus there is no lag at low rpms and it downshifts faster in auto mode also
Old 06-01-16, 12:47 PM
Gatie
Rookie

I just received an update from the Executive Offices of Lexus regarding the RC F fuel pump problem. There will be a software release by late July 2016 to address the issue. I am suppose to receive a message when the software update is launched next month. As soon as I hear from them I will let all of you know too.
Old 06-02-16, 03:42 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
This is very disappointing. It almost feels like they are simply waiting you out till you "go away".

Toyota is disappointing me a large amount with their lack of drive to solve a problem. While, being an engineer myself, I understand the time table to solve a problem, I feel there is no urgency on Toyota's part to solve this.

I feel for you guys....
I mailed a 2nd letter to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division on May 23rd, after not receiving a response from my "contact" person. On May 24th, I mailed a 2nd letter to the Board of Directors (in Japan), after not receiving a response from my "contact" person.

I finally received a response from my "contact" person on May 31st. They acknowledged the receipt of my letter to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division. The next day, June 1st, they mentioned the software update release will be in late July 2016....to correct the fuel pump problem.
Old 06-02-16, 08:30 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Gatie, you deserve the ClubLexus MVP award.
Old 06-03-16, 05:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatie
I mailed a 2nd letter to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division on May 23rd, after not receiving a response from my "contact" person. On May 24th, I mailed a 2nd letter to the Board of Directors (in Japan), after not receiving a response from my "contact" person.

I finally received a response from my "contact" person on May 31st. They acknowledged the receipt of my letter to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division. The next day, June 1st, they mentioned the software update release will be in late July 2016....to correct the fuel pump problem.
Great work. Really, great work.

If they believe its a software issue, it begins to make me wonder if their messed up on the pump discharge curves or didn't anticipate certain pump charactistics.

Makes me think...is the hum the fuel pump cavitating?
Old 06-03-16, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ +1 !

Gatie, thanks for your contribution and getting to the bottom of this. Surprised it's a software issue but at the same time, glad it's that since this is much simpler to deploy on yours and any affected vehicles. Perhaps the update can apply to all RC Fs which I'd gladly take to reduce or prevent the pump issue from ever surfacing.
Old 06-03-16, 05:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ +1 !

Gatie, thanks for your contribution and getting to the bottom of this. Surprised it's a software issue but at the same time, glad it's that since this is much simpler to deploy on yours and any affected vehicles. Perhaps the update can apply to all RC Fs which I'd gladly take to reduce or prevent the pump issue from ever surfacing.
Even if you get the car reflashed, I would recommend pushing for a new fuel pump if you've had the humming because the wear has already been done. May as well get it replaced under warranty as opposed to having it go bad due to unneeded wear post warranty.
Old 06-03-16, 10:41 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Even if you get the car reflashed, I would recommend pushing for a new fuel pump if you've had the humming because the wear has already been done. May as well get it replaced under warranty as opposed to having it go bad due to unneeded wear post warranty.
I want to thank many of you (like Swacer, corradoMR2, ZAM and others) for your supportive and encouraging comments and opinions. You really helped me continue pressing for an answer. It is disappointing to receive customer service that is lacking in courtesy, respect and professionalism. I will keep everyone informed if I hear additional information regarding the fuel pump and/or software update.
Old 06-03-16, 12:14 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone actually been stranded by a failed fuel pump? Everything I've read indicates a strange noise, but not exactly a failure. I guess a "noise" is a problem. In the big scheme, I would rather deal with a noise than a failure. This is my 3rd first-year model car, so I understand dealing with bugs; oil consumption, transmission grinding, brake dust, window smears, head unit failure, etc. That's part of being an early adopter. I have a rattle in my passenger door when I place music with a lot of bass. Does this constitute a problem? Should my thread be titled RCF door problems? I have a 466rwhp G35 with a Walbro 255 fuel pump...now that's noisy!! BTW, no "noise" or "problem" on my 2015 with 10k miles, VIN 4232.
Old 06-08-16, 07:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gatie
I want to thank many of you (like Swacer, corradoMR2, ZAM and others) for your supportive and encouraging comments and opinions. You really helped me continue pressing for an answer. It is disappointing to receive customer service that is lacking in courtesy, respect and professionalism. I will keep everyone informed if I hear additional information regarding the fuel pump and/or software update.
Not a problem. While not owning one (yet anyways) I have kept a close eye on this portion of the forum. Early adoption is always a concern, but for an issue like the fuel pump (which is happening to a LOT of people), its important to push the company for a solution. Its sad that you had to commit as much time to this as you did, but the community, and those who doesn't even know clublexus exists, certainly thank you.

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Has anyone actually been stranded by a failed fuel pump? Everything I've read indicates a strange noise, but not exactly a failure. I guess a "noise" is a problem. In the big scheme, I would rather deal with a noise than a failure. This is my 3rd first-year model car, so I understand dealing with bugs; oil consumption, transmission grinding, brake dust, window smears, head unit failure, etc. That's part of being an early adopter. I have a rattle in my passenger door when I place music with a lot of bass. Does this constitute a problem? Should my thread be titled RCF door problems? I have a 466rwhp G35 with a Walbro 255 fuel pump...now that's noisy!! BTW, no "noise" or "problem" on my 2015 with 10k miles, VIN 4232.
I have a hard time trying to determine if you're trolling or being sarcastically honest.....
Old 06-08-16, 08:17 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Not a problem. While not owning one (yet anyways) I have kept a close eye on this portion of the forum. Early adoption is always a concern, but for an issue like the fuel pump (which is happening to a LOT of people), its important to push the company for a solution. Its sad that you had to commit as much time to this as you did, but the community, and those who doesn't even know clublexus exists, certainly thank you.

I have a hard time trying to determine if you're trolling or being sarcastically honest.....
I guess I'm being sarcastically optimistic. Despite reading about the fuel pump noise, I purchased the car. Why? Because everything I've read pointed to noise. I thought I asked a legitimate question. Is the car safe to own? Is the pump burning down houses? (This happened with a certain manufacturer) In the big scheme, I considered this a small issue and the cost of buying a first year model car. I'm sure this will be worked out, but I didn't want to wait until 2018 or 19.
Old 06-18-16, 05:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Hissing noise is from the INJECTORS - Normal...

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Guys, I promised a better video and with this one, you can clearly hear the hissing sound kick in after 1 minute the car starts. Then the sound stays that way for as long as I drive the car and keep it on.

@Ryanmcd - this is normal and how yours behaves too?

I don't know if it's bad news but I'd like to hear from owners on whether this is "normal" or a sound of an impending pump failure.

https://youtu.be/_Rb_RMyUc2s
Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Mine does the same and I'm sure it's not
a pump issue. All that noise you hear is part of the car idling down. My honest opinion.
Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Same as mine, in fact now mine is a little louder maybe because it's the exhaust is broken in, it also seems faster now. I would not worry about it, a good friend that's a master MB mechanic said all direct injection cars now have a lot more pump / injector noise, its just how it is, not as loud as a diesel but louder then a non- direct injection car.

To CLOSE the book on this particular noise concern I posted on a while back in case anyone else has a concern, it's NORMAL.

You guys were right. I asked Lexus to look into it at my 8k km servicing and it's the high pressure fuel injectors as per Lexus.

Old 06-28-16, 08:07 AM
SoFloGuy
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Pump

I recently brought my car in for service and asked them to address a whining noise. They verified that the issue is the fuel pump and they would replace it. The only bad news is the fuel pump has not been redesigned and there is a chance this will happen again.
Old 06-28-16, 08:36 AM
Bayernfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoFloGuy
I recently brought my car in for service and asked them to address a whining noise. They verified that the issue is the fuel pump and they would replace it. The only bad news is the fuel pump has not been redesigned and there is a chance this will happen again.
You need to read a few posts above yours. There will be a software update available in late July to address the issue(or nonissue according to some). Dont drive in ECO mode and noise shouldn't return.

Also, I don't think its the fuel injectors. The noise in my car was near the fuel tank and was noticeable at RPMs above and below 1200(my kids were the first to hear the noise sitting in the back seats). And the noise continued for about 3 seconds after the car was turned off.

So there will be no backlash, never been stranded or towed. Just relaying info to those who are searching.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump