RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Non-Carbon RC-F with AVS, DRS, TDV and VGRS, Is this the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 08:58 PM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Non-Carbon RC-F with AVS, DRS, TDV and VGRS, Is this the only one?

EDIT:

Sorry guys for wasting your time. This RCF only has the TVD, it has neither AVS or DRS. I was shown pictures of the controls of the RC350 instead but they swore it was from a RCF. So nothing out of ordinary here, just Premium + TVD.

And then I test drove the car, first impressions:

-Response is not as immediate as my ex-Nissan 370Z, but the acceleration was "continual", and before I knew it I was hitting 125MPH, however it didn't feel fast.
-Unlike the M3 (from a friend of mine), when you floor it in any gear you don't feel that instant torque that pushes you against the seat.
-The RCF does not feel like a beast at all. It might be fast, but I didn't felt like it. Maybe because I was really comfy in the cabin, I don't know. I come from a 370z and it was very raw and rough in every aspect. The RCF feels tamed in comparison.
-After 30 seconds behind the wheel I already gained lots of confidence with the car, it was really easy to drive.

Do you guys agree with this? This is the way the RCF supossed to be?

I watched the video where Yokihiko Yaguchi explains the RCF is tuned in such way to make the driver feel "power continuously coming from the engine" and it makes some sense now that I've driven it.

What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------

***ORIGINAL POST****

Hi guys I've been reading this forums for YEARS and never signed up until now.

I'm about to buy the only RC-F my country's dealer has brought (and the only one that they will bring until future notice, so I will be driving the one and only RC-F in the whole country.)

Today I went to see the car and place the down payment, I noticed something really really strange, something I've never read about in the US or EU model. They told me this car is one of a kind and was a custom order for a special Lexus event, so many of the options won't be seen together in any other RC-F in the world.

This Non-Carbon White/Red RC-F has:
-TVD
-AVS, Adaptive variable suspension with 2 settings
-DRS, Dynamic rear steering, as seen in the RC350 F-Sport. I'm yet to try the car so I'm not sure it really has this, but the salesman tells me he is 100% sure.
-VGRS, Variable Gear Ratio Steering. Does the RC-F normally come with this?
-Pop-up headlamp cleaners
-Back-up camera but with NO navigation

What do you think about the AVS and DRS? Will be car ride softer than the regular RC-F?

I really don't mind the firm ride of the RC-F many complains about, but if the suspension is soft like the RC350 which doesn't feel sporty at all, this car is definitely not worth it.

Last edited by rcf15; 02-09-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 01:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you sure your salesman didn't make a mistake and got mixed up with a RC350 F-Sport? F-Sports get AVS and DRS that the RCF doesn't get.

Perhaps he mixed up the RC350 F-Sport with the RCF....

If this is real, I would run to buy this car since AVS and DRS really improve the ride/handling of the car. You should go to the regular RC sub-forum to ask RC350 F-Sport owners how they like their AVS/DRS since only RC350 F-Sports get AVS/DRS.
Old 02-07-15, 02:37 AM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

No, he guy was sure what he was talking about... That's the weird thing,

I sat in the car and located the damper button in the same place of the Rc350... As for the rear steering I will go next week and try the car, as I couldn't find a button or way to turn it off, so I'm not really sure it does have rear steering, and I don't know how would that work with the TVD.

Also I read in several reviews that the RcF won't be getting variable steering, but this one has it.

I will take some pictures of the interior when I go drive it next week.
Old 02-07-15, 05:08 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

One word of advice though : the stiffened shocks in AVS and and the rear wheel steering of DRS in the GS350 F-Sports and RC350 F-Sports only activate in the sport + mode.

If this special edition RCF has similar settings as the GS/RC350 F-Sport, then you will only start to experience the stiffened suspension of AVS and the activated rear steering in Sport + in this RCF. Not Eco mode, not Normal mode, nor Sport mode, only Sport +.
Old 02-07-15, 06:13 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure Lexus would ever allow this car to be sold like this, I would pull the VIN# and see what comes up.
Old 02-07-15, 07:33 AM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Why do you say Lexus wouldnt allow a car to sold like this?

I want to hear your opinions about these features in the RCF, in Matt Farah's review he stated that the unit he tested came with adjustable suspension but that's a pre-production car and carbon version.

Is there possibly a downside to having all these? Like reduced handling or overal dynamics?

I insistently asked them if this is a pre-production or test car, obviously they said no, and it has really low mileage, about 50kms only.

Anyone? I want to have my facts ready when I close the deal next week, thanks for your feedback!
Old 02-07-15, 09:13 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcf15
Why do you say Lexus wouldnt allow a car to sold like this?

I want to hear your opinions about these features in the RCF, in Matt Farah's review he stated that the unit he tested came with adjustable suspension but that's a pre-production car and carbon version.

Is there possibly a downside to having all these? Like reduced handling or overal dynamics?

I insistently asked them if this is a pre-production or test car, obviously they said no, and it has really low mileage, about 50kms only.

Anyone? I want to have my facts ready when I close the deal next week, thanks for your feedback!

I would say it's a pre-production car and I am sure if they all worked well together then we would see the car for sale with those options installed.

I would never want a one off car just in case it has problems, I would say you have a car they tested things on I would also called Lexus with that VIN# and see what they find, I bet it's not even listed or it's under something else.

Also the reason Lexus would not sell a lot of 1 off's is because they have to SUPPORT that car and warranty it. No one wants to have to have parts for 10 different cars and then work with the suppliers to keep the parts in stock. I just feel if you do have a 1 off car and have issues the tech may not know how to deal with it, do you think all Lexus tech's are going to be trained on your 1 car?
Old 02-07-15, 06:05 PM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advice, you do have a very valid point. I will get the #VIN and try contact lexus directly and have it checked. Even if it is a one-off car they should be able to provide direct support for at least 90% of it, the RCF is not a supercar, I think it is built mostly like a GS. They even gave me the maintenance plan which is about $600/Year.

The dealer however is an official "Lexus Premium", they carry all the lexus models including the new NX and they are the only company who sells Toyota countrywide. I don't think they would sell me a pre-production car as a off the line vehicle (Legal actions could be taken if so), I will closely inspect every detail anyways when I go drive it next week.

Perhaps some folks from the EU, Asian and Middle East market could comment on the options on this RCF? Maybe this particular RC-F was ordered with Japan-spec?
Old 02-08-15, 06:34 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf15
Thanks for your advice, you do have a very valid point. I will get the #VIN and try contact lexus directly and have it checked. Even if it is a one-off car they should be able to provide direct support for at least 90% of it, the RCF is not a supercar, I think it is built mostly like a GS. They even gave me the maintenance plan which is about $600/Year.

The dealer however is an official "Lexus Premium", they carry all the lexus models including the new NX and they are the only company who sells Toyota countrywide. I don't think they would sell me a pre-production car as a off the line vehicle (Legal actions could be taken if so), I will closely inspect every detail anyways when I go drive it next week.

Perhaps some folks from the EU, Asian and Middle East market could comment on the options on this RCF? Maybe this particular RC-F was ordered with Japan-spec?
I would heed what ryanmcd said. Support could become a nightmare.

Comparing the GS to the RC F is a failed analogy. I owned a GS, I have friends driving the new GS Fsports. Great cars, but quite different bones and plumbing.
Old 02-08-15, 05:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry I don't buy it...

Please go back at get a picture of the Legally Binding Window Sticker..

This will show exactly what this "one off" RC F is built and/or equipped it..

Also, what COUNTRY are you in..?? I don't think it's Florida..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-08-15 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 02:48 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's interesting, yeah if you get the VIN#, I can look it up on the National Service History and pull up all the options, features, and even production date. Oh nevermind, if you are from a different country, I may not be able to pull it up in my database.
Old 02-09-15, 07:13 PM
rcf15
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys for wasting your time. This RCF only has the TVD, it has neither AVS or DRS. I was shown pictures of the controls of the RC350 instead but they swore it was from a RCF. So nothing out of ordinary here, just Premium + TVD.

And then I test drove the car, first impressions: (It was in sport mode all the time)

-Response is not as immediate as my ex-Nissan 370Z, but the acceleration was "constant", and before I knew it I was hitting 125MPH, however it didn't feel fast.
-Unlike the M3 (from a friend of mine), when you floor it in any of the lower gears you don't feel that kick and instant torque that pushes you against the seat.
-The RCF does not feel like a beast at all. It might be quick, but I didn't felt like it. Maybe because I was really comfy in the cabin, I don't know. I come from a 370z and it was very raw and rough in every aspect. The RCF feels tamed in comparison, everything is smooth.
-After 30 seconds behind the wheel I already gained lots of confidence with the car, it was really easy to drive.

Do you guys agree with this? This is the way the RCF supossed to be?

I watched the video where Yokihiko Yaguchi explains the RCF is tuned in such way to make the driver feel that "power is continuously coming from the engine" and it makes sense now that I've driven it.

What do you think?

Last edited by rcf15; 02-09-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 07:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

NA engines with smooth and constant torque curves dont have the kick you in the nuts feel to the speed, but they build speed without feeling like it. Its more deceptive
Old 02-09-15, 08:11 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

The power is the same as my old NSX and my V10 M5. It does not feel fast but it is and all the power is top end.

The NSX would do 170 with 270HP
The M5 would go over 200 with 500HP

This power is a lot easier to manage then a turbo car, I have had several turbo cars and they are a lot harder to drive because you have to watch the boost hit more.
Old 02-09-15, 09:51 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
NA engines with smooth and constant torque curves dont have the kick you in the nuts feel to the speed, but they build speed without feeling like it. Its more deceptive
Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
The power is the same as my old NSX and my V10 M5. It does not feel fast but it is and all the power is top end.

The NSX would do 170 with 270HP
The M5 would go over 200 with 500HP

This power is a lot easier to manage then a turbo car, I have had several turbo cars and they are a lot harder to drive because you have to watch the boost hit more.
yeah I have to agree with the above statements. my m3 is like this, it has a smooth torque curve it doesn't "feel" like a throw you Iin the seat type V8. but when you look at the speedo and realize you are at 120mph out of nowhere then you realize the deceptive quickness.

personally I think I like that better, it is a lot easier to manage versus like my big turbo mr2. when boost hits its almost like you have to brace for a fight