RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

How much to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 06:00 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Those look like creases in the wheel arch... not easily fixed, usually a shop will spend the time to hammer it out and skim coat to perfection, or the super-duper proper way, cut & weld a new panel.

Being a new model, parts are pretty much limited to dealer-only, no salvage yards regularly stock these [yet]. You're looking at $$

My guess, based on Lparts;
Part Number: 6160124150
quarter panel Right
MSRP $800.65

6700124110 - Door shell
Right
MSRP $793.45

Plus labor, plus paint, assuming the skirt isn't gouged and repairable, as well as the wheel to be refinished. If these cannot be done, add another 1700$
Also, there's no point in trying to repair the door, the labor & time vs. new door & reassembly is not worth it... which is why I quoted that.

I'd guess in the 6500$ [on the light side], range. Seems pricey, but paint in this case will be on a few panels to blend it all together... fender, quarter, rear bumper, possibly; trunk lid, mirror

Either way, it sucks...
Old 05-08-16, 06:29 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Those look like creases in the wheel arch... not easily fixed, usually a shop will spend the time to hammer it out and skim coat to perfection, or the super-duper proper way, cut & weld a new panel.

Being a new model, parts are pretty much limited to dealer-only, no salvage yards regularly stock these [yet]. You're looking at $$

My guess, based on Lparts;
Part Number: 6160124150
quarter panel Right
MSRP $800.65

6700124110 - Door shell
Right
MSRP $793.45

Plus labor, plus paint, assuming the skirt isn't gouged and repairable, as well as the wheel to be refinished. If these cannot be done, add another 1700$
Also, there's no point in trying to repair the door, the labor & time vs. new door & reassembly is not worth it... which is why I quoted that.

I'd guess in the 6500$ [on the light side], range. Seems pricey, but paint in this case will be on a few panels to blend it all together... fender, quarter, rear bumper, possibly; trunk lid, mirror

Either way, it sucks...

$6500??? I might as well sell the car after.
Old 05-09-16, 12:36 PM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just pay the deductible and call it a day?
Old 05-09-16, 01:51 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iceweasel
Why not just pay the deductible and call it a day?
See prior post.
Old 05-09-16, 04:37 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad I live in Florida, all I would have to do is call my insurance company and it would be covered under comprehensive and pay my $200 deductible and not worry about my insurance rates increasing.
Old 05-09-16, 05:52 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I'm glad I live in Florida, all I would have to do is call my insurance company and it would be covered under comprehensive and pay my $200 deductible and not worry about my insurance rates increasing.
NJ is considered collision for hit and run. If you claim it then it comes up on a car report and you have diminishing value. Being that nothing needs replacement and there's no frame damage, I'll save my collision claim for a rainy day (hopefully not).
Old 05-10-16, 07:41 AM
hankster22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Hey man. Thanks for the kind words. More disappointed and upset than anything else. I understand **** happens. Here in NJ, insurance is good for **** because there are so many drivers on the road that the underwriters find any little stipulation to neglect payment. Here in NJ, underinsured motorist only covers for personal injury in a hit and run, not property / vehicle damage; so it would only be covered by collision which would come up on a vehicle history report. Since the damage is only cosmetic, I'd rather not put a claim on this. Plus, if I ever want to change insurance companies, it will be factored in the rates even though it wouldn't affect my current premium. You need to have and pay a pretty penny for insurance and still have to pay when you shouldn't.

In all, it's just a couple grand out of pocket that I don't want to spend. It could be even more. Not sure if a new door is needed or how much paint it involved. The car has 2800 mi after one year and was otherwise perfect besides a couple of tiny pits on the windshield. My stomach turns thinking of the shop having to remove door panels and work the interior with the possibility of scratching and marking things up on the material and trim.

I will find out tomorrow what the $ will be. Luckily I have another car I can use. I'm hoping there's no "waiting line" for work to start and that it won't be more than a few days in shop.

I want this done right away because I refuse to drive a damaged car. It makes me feel dirty. I haven't even told anyone yet and have it parked so that it can't be seen.

Cheers.
A LITTLE FENDER BENDER
I rear ended someone in my 2013 CTh at about 15 mph. No damage to their car. Drove away with no police report.
My bumper was disarticulated from the bolts holding it in. Looked like you could just snap it back in place. A couple hundred $$, right?

Well both wells supporting the headlights were bent and had to be replaced and the parts were $2000 per headlight.
Total....around $6000. Out of pocket. Didn't want file an insurance claim as it would have been a big hit on rates. That's my sad story.......
Old 05-10-16, 05:40 PM
acatano711
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that happened to em the other day aswell> execpt the guy didnt run he was looking for me and we went ahead and did through his insurance. honestly, the worst part is ive been without my car for about 4 weeks now!i get it back tomorrow thankfully.GoodLuck with that my friend!
Old 05-11-16, 10:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I know. I had similar experience on my CT200H not too long ago.

I hit something on a country road (it was at dusk, so I can't really see what it was. But it looked like a metal rack silver looking frame on pick up trucks that fell off) at around 65 mph. Completely sheered off lateral 20% of driver's side bumper and outside mirror and buckled front driver's aide fender just a little. Deep scratch on driver's window. Driver's side lights and fog were damaged. Nick on driver's side A pillar. Windshield no damage. Hood no damage. Deep cut on driver's rear tire, but just scratch on that rim. Driver's side door deep scratch and minor dent. With spare on, the car was still drivable with NO LEAKS. No airbag deployment. Had I hit the thing more towards the middle of the front bumper, air bags probably would have deployed. I was not hurt at all.

For the above was $14k to get it all back to factor specs at a major SoCal Lexus dealer body shop. It was done and all good now.

Originally Posted by hankster22
A LITTLE FENDER BENDER
I rear ended someone in my 2013 CTh at about 15 mph. No damage to their car. Drove away with no police report.
My bumper was disarticulated from the bolts holding it in. Looked like you could just snap it back in place. A couple hundred $$, right?

Well both wells supporting the headlights were bent and had to be replaced and the parts were $2000 per headlight.
Total....around $6000. Out of pocket. Didn't want file an insurance claim as it would have been a big hit on rates. That's my sad story.......

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-11-16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-12-16, 10:35 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Just seeing this on a white one makes me sad. Use your insurance to get it taken care of and go somewhere good. I feel your pain tho!
Old 05-16-16, 09:45 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Just an update. I got the car back today. All I can say is the work is less than acceptable. You can see the ripples in the bright sunlight, and there are some blemishes in the paint. The wheel repair came out like crap. You can see where they sanded down the edges but didn't build it back up like the original, and there are some scuffs still on it.

I'm not sure if it would even pass inspection upon lease end if the inspector has a good eye.

I refuse to go back to the same shop because obviously they aren't capable of high end work. Even if I demand a redo it will probably still look sub par.

Oh well. I think I will try to transfer the lease and pick up something else. It's a shame that this happened since the car was perfect and only has 3000 miles on it at one year.

Last edited by FUZCO; 05-16-16 at 09:50 PM.