RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Anyone else choose Luxury over Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 08:17 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else choose Luxury over Sport?

I feel like the majority of the posts are related to the Sport model.

After realizing what I'd have to give up, I specifically sought out the Luxury Package. This type of vehicle is right up our alley....my husband is a fan of Mark VIII Lincoln's (yes....still drives it). But after I figured out the differences, it was Luxury Package, hands down. I do like the grill better on Sport, but not enough to choose it.

I feel like I might be in a very small minority though.

Anyone else out there that chose the Luxury Package over the Sport?

Dawn
Old 08-02-15, 08:35 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I feel like the majority of the posts are related to the Sport model.

After realizing what I'd have to give up, I specifically sought out the Luxury Package. This type of vehicle is right up our alley....my husband is a fan of Mark VIII Lincoln's (yes....still drives it). But after I figured out the differences, it was Luxury Package, hands down. I do like the grill better on Sport, but not enough to choose it.

I feel like I might be in a very small minority though.

Anyone else out there that chose the Luxury Package over the Sport?

Dawn
I am waiting for 2016 models. I for sure will go with the Luxury package over F Sport. To begin, not a fan of black headliner. IMO, the grill on luxury looks more Lexus like than the F Sports. But they are both hot. It's a personal choice.
Old 08-02-15, 08:39 AM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few of us. Most prefer the RWD F-S. And I would to if the car had a better power to weight ratio. That being said the benefits of RWD are lost in my opinion with the automatic and low TQ/HP. I'll probably get banged over the head for talking like this....but it's true. My 2 cents.
Like you I also preferred the F-S grille. So I swapped it out and painted the chrome trim black.
One day I'll trade it in for the RC-F. Its worthy of the RWD.
Living in the snow belt with the winter package and AWD will help sell it easier.
Old 08-02-15, 09:05 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Kitty:
The Luxury Package is filled with all kinds of neat things. I have most of the options on mine, but not F-Sport and not the ML, because my hearing is not all that good anyway. It's a great car, and I like the grille better. Also, be sure to get the blind spot monitoring and the cross traffic alert.
Old 08-02-15, 09:09 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Kitty:
The Luxury Package is filled with all kinds of neat things. .
Please elaborate on this.
Old 08-02-15, 10:03 AM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

I think the majority of the luxury package comes in the F sport package. Only thing I can think of that doesn't may be the heating steering wheel. Which if you live in south Texas like I do isn't needed.
Old 08-02-15, 10:27 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

F-sport and Luxury packages are very similar in features besides the performance stuff. The only 2 things that are included in the Luxury and not the F-sport are perforated leather seats (F-sport has perforated NuLuxe), heated steering wheel, wood trim (silver in F-sport), and BSM with CTA (which is only a $600 add-on for F-sport). The Luxury package on the RC is nothing like the other models (I.e., GS) where you get nicer stuff in addition like semi-aniline seats, panoramic roof, sunshades on doors, adaptive lights, rear audio/climate control, etc, which distinguish it much more from the F-sport model.

Personally, I think the availablity of F-sport exterior, Rioja red interior, sport seats, LFA-like guages, suspension upgrades, and bigger wheels would convince me on the F-sport package.

Last edited by dchar; 08-02-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-02-15, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Please elaborate on this.
Luxury Package which includes the Premium Package has perforated leather trim, power tilt and telescoping steering colum, Lexus memory seat for driver, auto dimming outside mirrors with auto tilt down in reverse, rain sensing windshield wipers and heated steering wheel (AWD only)
Old 08-02-15, 10:37 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The following items are in the Premium Package but not in the F-Sport package, I think: the Blind spot monitor and cross traffic alert, (these are in the premium pkg), leather interior (F-Sport has only a leather trimmed shift **** and steering wheel), auto dimming outside mirrors that tilt down in reverse, rain sensing windshield wipers.
The heated steering wheel comes on F-Sport and Luxury package cars that have AWD, which mine has. There are other options in the Lux Package that are in the F-Sport package also. My car also has the NAV package, the All Weather package, fog lights, spoiler, parking assist beepers, radar cruise control, moon roof and 19" wheels (which are in the F-Sport package). It's also infrared, which costs extra.
I have had ML in my last two cars, and my hearing is not so great and I can't really tell the difference, and am glad not to have paid for that in this car. My understanding is that it's still considered a pretty nice premium audio system.
What I don't have is the variable suspension (sport+ mode), the VDIM, the aluminum pedals, the fancier instrument cluster, and the various badges and the F-Sport grille (I prefer the standard grille anyway). Of these, I'd like to have the sport+ mode, but am getting along fine without it, and the other instrument cluster would be fun, but that's not a deal-breaker. Since both have the same engine, the performance is just about the same, although my AWD configuration gives me 6 gears rather than 8, but when using the paddle shifters, 8 seems like too many gears for a guy who learned on cars with 3. ("Four Speeds," also referred to as "Four on the Floor" were for sports cars, not grandpa's Buick, which had the slushomatic.)
Coming from an SC400 and an SC430, I would like to have the V-8, but the cost of the F is just too high for me, although my salesman says he is selling more of those than he expected to sell.
At this time I am very happy with my Non F-Sport loaded up 350. I think the red paint helps.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-02-15 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed all references to Hillary's emails.
Old 08-02-15, 11:22 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

Default Luxury over Sport

I actually spent a considerable amount of time finding out what you get with Luxury vs. Sport. We really didn't want the suspension in the Sport. I know many like to "feel the road," but we didn't need to feel the road anymore than we feel the road in our other luxury vehicles. With any "sport" feature, it's just not as smooth as a ride and that's definitely what we were going for.

There are 3 features that are not available in the Sport package. Power Telescopic Steering Wheel, Memory Seat, and Automatic Rain Sensors. (The heated steering wheel is only available on AWD, and that would have been a deal breaker for us. We did not want AWD.)

I'm not sure I understand the size of the wheel comment on Luxury vs. Sport. When you select Luxury Package ($2,990), you are required to select the 19" Aluminum Alloy Wheels Split Five Spoke for an additional $795. You can't get Luxury Package without selecting and paying for these 19" wheels.

The other thing is leather. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me (to have to get that other material that is in place of leather in the Sport model), but I'm glad I was able to get the good ol' fashioned leather on the Luxury.

19 days....
Old 08-02-15, 11:41 AM
FrogBreath
Pole Position

The tilting mirrors are in the F Sport so are the memory seats. Very minimal difference between the two. The non f bumper seriously hurts the look of the car. All in all these options are given because everyone has their preferences.
Old 08-02-15, 11:51 AM
kymbakitty
Driver

It seems like a majority of the Luxury items are available in Sport package. The only thing thing that might not be available is the Rain sensing wipers.

It's funny about the grill. I really like it on the Sport. My husband, best friend and coworker said the grill on the Sport model was the only thing that ruined it for them. And that was before I decided whether I liked it or not.

I definitely like it better. But certainly not more than I want my luxury cruiser. Just for the "ride" alone, we weren't going to get the Sport package.

Glad there is something for everyone...or so it seems.

Old 08-02-15, 04:00 PM
ztorc
Driver School Candidate

I got FSport with Luxury Package . Most FSport will come with Luxury Package.
Old 08-02-15, 10:51 PM
Chinky2
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for FSPORT with LUXURY
Old 08-03-15, 05:25 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My fsport comes with the power telescopic steering wheel and also memory seats, blind spot monitor, navigation and ML, intuitive parking assist, heated and ventilated seats. Pretty much fully loaded and has more features standard on the fsport then I had on my 2014 IS 350 F sport

Quick Reply: Anyone else choose Luxury over Sport?