Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transgo shift kit for a650?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 12:57 PM
poke_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeNVA
clos430 not yet, due to lack of spare time
But I will surely install it and post a review here or in my build thread
have you been able to install yet
Old 11-10-15, 07:13 PM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really. After fixing the coolant plug I just drive it. Used all my spare time for the security system of newer toyotas
Old 11-11-15, 04:42 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I didn't post back here earlier.

I spent some time with the valve body apart and a friend of mine who builds trannys was helping me install the transgo shift kit - after looking at the kit for some time, he determined that the kit was basically useless.

Ended up slightly shimming the accumulator springs and putting it back together.

Let me tell you guys - THIS THING SHIFTS AWESOME - For about .25 cents and a couple hours of time it is probably the best mod I have ever done to a car.
Old 11-11-15, 05:00 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Did he shim all 3 springs? What feels different now?
Old 11-11-15, 04:27 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More details for sure. Maybe I need to drive up north!
Old 11-12-15, 03:25 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GeorgeNVA
Did he shim all 3 springs? What feels different now?
I shimmed each one 8mm

I literally used coins to do it, you will find that nickels dimes and pennies will fit perfect.

The car shifts HARD but not too hard.

Shifts normal under normal driving.

Last edited by angus; 11-12-15 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 10:49 AM
poke_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
I shimmed each one 8mm

I literally used coins to do it, you will find that nickels dimes and pennies will fit perfect.

The car shifts HARD but not too hard.

Shifts normal under normal driving.
daaaamn, shoot congrats man,
Old 11-12-15, 11:11 AM
poke_IS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
Sorry, I didn't post back here earlier.

I spent some time with the valve body apart and a friend of mine who builds trannys was helping me install the transgo shift kit - after looking at the kit for some time, he determined that the kit was basically useless.

Ended up slightly shimming the accumulator springs and putting it back together.

Let me tell you guys - THIS THING SHIFTS AWESOME - For about .25 cents and a couple hours of time it is probably the best mod I have ever done to a car.
lmao im still laughing about the .25 cents

did your friend mentioned how long will the coins hold up to long term exposure to the trans oil?
did you have to sand or grind the coins down smooth before installing or was it installed as is?
did you make a before & After YouTube video of the difference?

Last edited by poke_IS300; 11-12-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 02:37 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by poke_IS300
lmao im still laughing about the .25 cents

did your friend mentioned how long will the coins hold up to long term exposure to the trans oil?
did you have to sand or grind the coins down smooth before installing or was it installed as is?
did you make a before & After YouTube video of the difference?
As ridiculous as this sounds - it works just fine, I know there are IS300 people who have done this with success as well.

I seriously doubt there will be any negative effects from the coins exposure to the transmission fluid - there is such a large variety of different metals inside a tranny already.

I did think about sanding them smooth first but if you look at the springs they have sharp edges as well and they live just fine.

Shimming the accumulators is an age old transmission trick, if you don't over-do it, this works just fine.
Old 11-23-15, 06:59 AM
extremecre
Driver School Candidate

Angus I am interested in upgrading my a650e in my 03' gs300 and been doing some research and have some questions. I notice you performed the free mod prior but by shimming the springs, how did this improve or change the shift behavior? You think doing both mods are necessary? Lastly how did you determine how much thickness to shim each spring? Thanks.
Old 04-11-16, 11:56 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Installed the transgo 650 kit
Just like manual says, one part touches a/t case so it needs grinding (undo everything to do it, good joke from the manufacturer)
Another thing to mention is that you have to catch various things falling down when taking off the valve body, and make sure you assemble the shifter rod properly

Overall feel is good. The car is easier to drive smoothly. The a/t doesn't feel that loose as previously. Immediately noticed better response in low RPM, low gears region. Maybe I'll post more thoughts after driving it for a week or so
Old 04-11-16, 07:55 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default walking thread

Thread back from the dead for sure..lol
Since starting this thread I've used trans-go kits in two of my previous cars, a G20 and an RX330. these kits are basically overhaul kits. They are suppose to correct defects and (overhaul), issues with trannys, not create race mods. All though for some models they do say "for racing applications only" on the instructions. Hey not trying to "plug" these kits but the original owner of the company worked on transmissions for 55 years before he passed. so far the kits I have installed have improved drivability of the cars I have installed them in. The kits do address some possible defects. the instructions are very detailed, and in the ones that I have used they even told of possible trouble spots with OEM parts. I'm about to try this kit on the infamous Honda Oddessey tranny issue and see if these kits are really worth it. Got nothing to loose and a lot to gain for $40 dollar fix.
Old 06-04-17, 06:20 PM
eefmydee
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bumping old *** thread but i wanted to know if the transgo kit really fixed the flair up and slow shift from 2nd to 3rd gear? got a 98 sc400 a650e and the lag is bad especially at wot.
Old 06-04-17, 07:29 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't tried the transgo kit, but it might be worth a try to fix any minor problems. It should be noted though that these aren't performance oriented though, and will only make it shift as smooth as it did when it was new. The transgo is really a rebuild kit and was worded by the builders as such. You might have also potentially worn out the clutches but hopefully this is not the case.

For faster shifts, I machined my own rods to insert into the accumulators modeled after the toyomoto shift kits. I also bought all four accumulator springs from Lexus, but only ended up using a different sized spring to fit into a certain one to get the compression and stop just right. I also upped my line pressure on the OEM adjustable dial.

If you don't want to machine your own rods, they are available on eBay. Just mentioning this because while you are in there, this would be the time to do it. It's a pretty messy job and honestly I think it would have been next to impossible with out a lift, trans jack, and other friend helping. This applies to the transgo as well and just some info for everyone out there.

Last edited by GS400V8; 06-04-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 11:58 PM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Either I got used to it quickly or it didn't fix the things completely
It definitely felt better and it's worth its price if you're doing everything by yourself (i.e. don't have to pay for installation)

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit for a650?