Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS300 - MISFIRES Cyl 1,2,3, & 6... HELLLPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 11:29 AM
Lexxxis300
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation IS300 - MISFIRES Cyl 1,2,3, & 6... HELLLPPP!!!

Hey everyone,

So im new to the is300 scene and I have a real problem with my is300 i got recently,

My Check engine light is flashing and my obd2 scanners says Misfires in Cylinder 1,2,3, & 6...
Basically im driving on 2 cylinders and I also have Random Misfire code and System too Lean codes - Bank 1 and Bank 2...

Now heres the tough part, It is only misfiring and idling and drives terrible until the engine warms completely up. I drove 5-7 miles to work this morning and when i started it and drove cold it would barely idle and have no power and be backfiring and misfiring, but by the time it warmed up and i got to work it was fine! No misfires and idles quiet and smooth. There are no pings or knocks i know its not mechanical, i am just confused. I didnt have this problem until i was out driving in Hurricane Sandy the other day. I didnt drive though any puddles or even open my hood, im just curious if maybe the combination of moisture and high winds possibly got water or enough moisture up near my plug wires or coil packs???

Has anyone ever had this problem or know what i should look for or try replacing???

Coil Packs are expensive and i dont know really where i should start??? Please Give me Some pointers or Info!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-12, 12:41 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chance of all 3 coil packs shorting out at the same time is very very slim. I would absolutely start with spark plugs. It'll only cost you about $6-$10 per plug. From experience, don't go cheap and get the Bosch double platinum's (poor idle). Spend the money to get the twin electrode Denso's. You should be correct on it not being a mechanical problem. Inspect the short boots and plug wires that come off the coils for signs of white chalky residue. Thats a sign of the rubber breaking down, and spark jumping out of the wire (bad wires or boots). While you are under the hood i would also check and make sure your air filter isn't wet. If it is, I'd also check your MAF sensor for signs of moisture, and maybe clean it up with some MAF cleaner spray. That could also cause a huge driveability problem. Also listen for whistling under the hood while the engine is running. Could have a vacuum line that popped off. I certainly don't think its a coincidence that you drove through a hurricane, and now you have the problem!
Old 11-08-12, 05:44 AM
bacon22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jus had the same codes u did on my car and it ran like ****. i usually warm my car up before i go anywhere so i dont know if mines was acting up while still cold but even warm, shifts were hard and she didnt like to be gased hard. my issue for the codes was that i had bought the wrong intake filter which wasnt allowing enough air makeing me pop code for running lean. for trouble shooting listen to 2GSkaisen he has all parts looked at. plugs for sure and coils for sure should be 1st checked since ur poblem starts from the start up. if u havent done plugs in a while its worth changeing cuz now u know exactly when they were done and they are relatively cheap. Anyone plz correct me if im wrong jus tryin to put in my 2 cents to help.check ur filter and make sure ur filter is in good condition and that the sensor hooked up to ur intake pipe is pushed in all the way for that well make ur intake not work properly.
Old 02-24-15, 09:09 AM
dmello944
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missfire

Were you able to figure out what the issue with your missfire? I am having the same problem.