Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2008 IS250 Burning Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 09:35 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its seems after reading this, im wondering if lexus (muchless the extended warranty) is going to follow through on their end in fixing my far for whatever reason it is. I do also question why new and improved pistons are in the works if this has not been an ongoing problem. Usually when there is manufacturing of new parts, that is because of of issues people are facing with parts.

Sucks that i have to endure this crap but what can i do? I can go buy the parts but whos to say that the problem will not happen again. Please keep your fingers crossed as my adivor is stating that they are having to go through hoops with my extended warranty company.
Old 10-28-11, 11:24 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Does the new piston re-design have to do with the piston valve reliefs or pockets and/or an alloy change? Or too soon to know?
Old 10-31-11, 09:16 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Not sure, gville. I got the car back because evidently, there needs to be more oil consumption for the warranty company to even consider doing the work. Since i have only gone 1k in miles since my last oil change, i have been instructed to go back at another 1k to check oil levels once again. My advisor and i are trying to develop a track record to prove that at every 1k, there is more oil consumption that can potentially run out and cause motor damage.

IN addtion, i was told that that instead of repairs done to the motor like replacing rings and pistons, it is more cost efficient to just get a new motor installed. Ughh, this is a nightmare. I hope i didnt buy a lemon
Old 10-31-11, 01:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Nice! $13k for a new long block...no problem! LOL
Old 11-04-11, 02:22 PM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Holy crap, is that what a new motor cost? usually when doing a new motor, does that consist of new plugs and everythign else that is needed during a tune up?
Old 11-05-11, 07:45 AM
birador
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about trading it instead?
Old 11-07-11, 07:22 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

I wish i could trade it in but unfortunately, i am upside down on the car. i have to wait another year before doing that since hopefully i will break even.
Old 12-22-11, 09:02 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra
L-SB-0068-11 is complete as far as I know, it consists of the newly rebuilt pistons, piston rings, etc.

Some dealers don't have the parts in yet and it will be a while till they do. I myself have had the "Low Engine Oil" message in the HUD come on at around 45,000mi and several times after, just recently again as well and I'm close to the 100k mark. This happens right after 7k on synthetic oil, if I'm not mistaken Lexus's new oil change interval is 10k. So apparently on the older model 250's the engine hardware along with the increased carbon build up is causing more oil to be burned.

I've contacted Lexus about this and their "case handlers" are difficult to work with. They're excuse is, "if you're vehicle is experiencing this bring it to a dealer so they can replicate the issue, this is the only way we will warrant a service repair" I don't know if Lexus knows this but replicating how the car half stalls and acts up is like finding a needle in a hay stack. It's very random and it doesn't happen right away it could go weeks before it happens again.

I've brought this up to a dealer before as well as the low engine oil and they don't really have any procedure they follow to check this. All they did was "top off" my oil only to have the light turn on 500mi later.

I might just try to push this up higher, also just a note for those interested in having Lexus take their issue seriously, the next time your car acts like it's about to stall and shakes like crazy. Drop the car into neutral and rev up the engine to redline for like one or two seconds in most cases that I've tried the car will miss fire and give you a check engine light. Then proceed to get the dealer to load up the code and do the job.
I just bought my car in for the random almost stalling issue.....I have a RX350 full loaded loaner for two weeks while they are replacing my piston rings....no questions asked...I just told them what happened and that I put some techron in three times after the initial time my car almost stalled out and it still happened..especially when coming off from a stop. Hendrick lexus is great at taking care of me no jumping through hoops!
Old 01-04-12, 04:22 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I picked up me Lexus with the L-SB-0068-11 completed. I was told that my engine was taken completely out of the car while they replaced the piston rings. Since they did that during the process they had to change my oil...I was ready for a oil change, they replaced the coolant and had to charge up the a/c with R134A. Along with the rebuilt engine having a free oil change and coolant change to boot, sounds like a deals to me. I hope this helps out with this carbon build up stuff. I guess well see soon enough. Also while they were in there, they told me that the throttle body needed to be cleaned because of the carbon deposits on it. They wouldn't do it per TSB. I laughed at the service advisor who told me to call Lexus to complain about it and about the TSB and they could authorize the cleaning be comped.
Old 04-05-12, 04:38 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

I seem to have the same problem and will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, will the drive train warranty cover it?