Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-VVTi timing problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 10:42 AM
Sinnerav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Sounds like you need to reset timing. There's a few ways to go about that. You can tear it all the way back down, set crank to TDC, and line your cams up.

OR

If you're VERY CAREFUL, you can:
(Without tearing everything apart)

set crank to tdc: which ever makes the cams line up close to their marks MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BUMP IT OUT OF TDC

loosen up your belt tensioner (may have to remove completely for enough slack but shouldn't be necessary)

Assuming the crank got rotated clockwise a tooth too far, you can assume the cams need to go clockwise 2 teeth each due to the 2:1 ratio.
with a wrench or ratchet, rotate the cam sprockets forward and make the belt jump until they're in position and lined up.

tighten up belt tensioner

Make absolutely sure you have the marks spot on before actually running the engine.

Even after you're sure, rotate the engine AT LEAST 2 full revolutions BY HAND SLOWLY so as not to bend valves accidentally. If you feel the engine stop, don't push any further. Check timing again after rotating, I've screwed up timing marks even when i thought i had them right.

If you're 100% satisfied with your timing marks, DOUBLE CHECK your work and check all bolts are tight. Be careful tightening bolts in aluminum threads.

Reassemble and drink beer to celebrate.

You'll want to find a diagram or pictures that show where timing marks are.
Got the timing set right. Replaced the following parts: valve cover gaskets, spark plugs ignition coils water pump, timing belt oil change and all corresponding seals and gaskets. Drove it last night and it was fine. I was happy with the way she was running. Get to my dads last night and hung out for about 3 hours. Get back in it and pull out the drive way and she has no power. I couldnt fix it right then It was 11:30pm. So I "babied" all the way home. Which it roughly about 50 miles give take. Im not sure on exact mileage. Its a 45 min drive ine way. Any ways I make it home fine. This morning I get in it and the vsc and vsc off lihght is on and I ran the obd2 and it came back with a random misfire code and a running lean (bank 1) and a O2 sensor code. Any one have any ideas on what is going on. Is this a sign of something seriously wrong. I put time and money into it to fix it and now its something else. Some one please help me out here.
Old 09-01-20, 03:23 PM
That2JGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sinnerav
Got the timing set right. Replaced the following parts: valve cover gaskets, spark plugs ignition coils water pump, timing belt oil change and all corresponding seals and gaskets. Drove it last night and it was fine. I was happy with the way she was running. Get to my dads last night and hung out for about 3 hours. Get back in it and pull out the drive way and she has no power. I couldnt fix it right then It was 11:30pm. So I "babied" all the way home. Which it roughly about 50 miles give take. Im not sure on exact mileage. Its a 45 min drive ine way. Any ways I make it home fine. This morning I get in it and the vsc and vsc off lihght is on and I ran the obd2 and it came back with a random misfire code and a running lean (bank 1) and a O2 sensor code. Any one have any ideas on what is going on. Is this a sign of something seriously wrong. I put time and money into it to fix it and now its something else. Some one please help me out here.
did you ever figure this out? having same problem..did timing job car struggles to go over 1000rpm once you get going drives fine getting misfire codes..i had the check engine light flash on me after i changed the coils and plugs awhile back but it went away.. curious what fixed your issue Thanks.
Old 09-04-20, 03:10 PM
Sinnerav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by That2JGuy
did you ever figure this out? having same problem..did timing job car struggles to go over 1000rpm once you get going drives fine getting misfire codes..i had the check engine light flash on me after i changed the coils and plugs awhile back but it went away.. curious what fixed your issue Thanks.
I did actually. Its the vvti that is extremely sensitive. The smallest move when doing the timing throws the whole thing off. I had my bro from Missouri fly out to cali to hook up his $15k obd scanner. Its a bad *** snap on and he was able to set the vvti timing. It is literally set to the millisecond.
Old 08-27-22, 02:46 PM
That2zedbo
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That2JGuy
can this issue cause false codes like the manufacturer control due due the timing being off I'm having an issue where I replaced all seals and what not and tried starting it but it cranks with no turning on.. I just found out my timing is way off