GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help, please -- messed up timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 06:35 PM
zchen101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please -- messed up timing belt job

OK, my first post.

I have a 2001 GS300, I'm doing a timing belt job on it. Everything was fine until I tried to remove the VVTI cam gear. Basically, I used an impact wrench and the hex bolt was so stuck and the impact gun rotated the camshaft by 180 degrees counter clockwise. Yes timing belt was off.

My question, should I go ahead pull the head or continue to finish the job like nothing happened and see later? I suspect bent valves, of course.

Please help, especially you know this 2jz-ge engine well or in similar situations before.

Many thanks!!!
Old 12-25-13, 07:53 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would suggest you continue with the timing belt job. Re-align the camshaft, set your crankshaft pulley per the manual and install the belt. Typically you encounter bent valves when the engine is running. I think you will be okay.

Best of luck to you..
Old 12-25-13, 08:30 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont worry, this happened to me too. I was replacing the VVTi cam gear O-Ring and had to remove everything. When I had to remove the VVTi cam gear, I also used an impact gun and rotated the gear. After reading manuals and tutorials, I was a bit confused because the information I was receiving was no consistent.

If you didnt mark your timing belt you might as well remove it all the way. Remove the spark plug out of Cylinder #1 which should be the one closes to the front of the engine. Grab a screw driver with a long shaft and drop it on top of the piston. Make sure the screwdriver shaft is about 7" or longer. While keeping an eye on the screwdriver handle, rotate the crank so that the screwdriver is at its highest point. Pay attention to the screwdriver movement as the piston goes up. So you rotate the crank, the screw driver is at its highest position, that is your Top Dead Center.

If youve done it correct, you will notice that the first white notched marking on the crank pulley is lined up at the 0 degree mark if im not mistaking. Once youre crank pulley is lined up, now it is time to line up the cam gears. On the back of the cam gears you will notice a metal plate with a marked white timing notch at the very top of the pulleys.

Now this is the part that gets kind of fuzzy because I forgot how to align these two. But what I do know is that for the VVTi cam pulley, you have 30 degrees of movement left and right. You twist it all the way to the right and that is where you will mark your notch. So when rotating your cam, you make sure that pulley is turned clockwise until "you hit the bottom" like it says in the manual.

Good luck sir.
Old 12-25-13, 11:51 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope you all don't mind me piggy-backing on this thread as I have a separate but related question. I am about to change the timing belt and associated parts on my '00 GS300; first time trying something like this. I am concerned about keeping the alignment of the crank and cams at TDC while loosening the bolts. Question is, is it OK to leave the timing belt on until I loosen the pulleys on the two cams and the crank in order to keep everything aligned? My thinking is if something moves dramatically while loosening a bolt or two it will be relatively easy to put back to TDC and much less likely to cause damage.
Old 12-26-13, 07:46 AM
zchen101
Driver School Candidate

Thank you VIP and Daniel, that gave me some relief. I set the timing before this happened. The crank and the exhaust didn't move, it's the intake moved. So I rotated it back and hope everything is OK.

ttaylor, I would leave the timing belt on to loosen the pulley bolts, then hand tighten them back until I'm ready to take them off --- if I have to do it again. To be safe, I would use the Schley tool to hold the crankshaft in position and find some way to help the camshafts not to move -- I don't want to put too much stress on timing belt, the only thing holding it from rotating othwise.
Old 12-26-13, 12:20 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Hope you all don't mind me piggy-backing on this thread as I have a separate but related question. I am about to change the timing belt and associated parts on my '00 GS300; first time trying something like this. I am concerned about keeping the alignment of the crank and cams at TDC while loosening the bolts. Question is, is it OK to leave the timing belt on until I loosen the pulleys on the two cams and the crank in order to keep everything aligned? My thinking is if something moves dramatically while loosening a bolt or two it will be relatively easy to put back to TDC and much less likely to cause damage.
What I took from my previous experience is this, mark everything! Grab a paint pen or a shaker marker and mark the timing belt or a tooth on the cam gears or whatever will help you remember how things will go back.
Old 12-26-13, 04:22 PM
zchen101
Driver School Candidate

Default another blunder

OK, I think I made another blunder.

Look at the attached pictures. I found the mistake when I tried to put the crank timing gear back. It was stopped by that little piece of brass tap. I think I bent it when I pulled the gear out. (Couldn't believe that I missed it. I will blame bad lighting. )

Now my questions: what is the function of it? Can I just bend it back? Was the original form straight?

Thanks a lot, guys!

Hope the car is still drivable after so many mishaps.
Attached Thumbnails Help, please -- messed up timing belt job-img_0005.jpg   Help, please -- messed up timing belt job-img_0004.jpg  
Old 12-26-13, 04:42 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The "brass tap" you refer to is the timing gear retainer. I guess its job is to prevent the timing gear from coming off in the event you lose the crank pulley. Very unlikely situation lol. But that piece is not really necessary to put back if you damaged it beyond repair. If it still looks ok then you can bend it back and put it in. Only thing you need to watch for is when you pulled off the timing gear and bet that piece. Make sure you didn't break any of the teeth off of the timing gear. If it's missing any, then you have to replace the gear or else the car will run like crap.

As for bending valves, yes it can happen if you're not careful. If you had the crank set at the sub mark which is the yellow mark on the pulley when you spun the cam then you're ok. If it was on the white mark (actual TDC) then you may have bent the valves.

The best way to test if you messed up the valves is to do a compression test after you put the timing belt back on and have it timed correctly. If there is a low cylinder, then that's the one you bent. The other option is to use a leak down tester and test each cylinder one by one. Using the leakdown tester you can do the bent valve test without setting the timing belt back on. Just rotate both cams so that the cylinder you are testing has the valves closed on both sides.
Old 12-26-13, 05:02 PM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Why did you try to remove the gear?? That's not needed. Best of luck to you vvti gears are a ***** imo
Old 12-26-13, 05:29 PM
zchen101
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Jeff:

Thanks a lot for your input. I will bend it back and the timing gear is fine.

I put the timing at the first mark on crank pulley (round dots on cams, not the lines), I think it's 15 or 30 degrees before TDC? This is the better situation that you mentioned, right?

Another question, I forgot how deep the gear should go in, should I press it all the way in until it stops? (Not a big force though? )

I bought your VVTI O-ring a short while ago, Because it's not leaking and the crank seal seems not leaking either, I think I will skip these 2 this time because of the uncertainties, -- I'm not even sure if I bent valves or not. Plus I don't have the proper tool to press the crank seal in. The cam seals were not leaking either. But the valve gasket leaks a lot and timing belt showed early signs of separating. My car has 114k on it.

If they need to be replaced, I will do it again and it's no big deal after this first time.

OK, back to work now.

BTW, your videos are very helpful!

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The "brass tap" you refer to is the timing gear retainer. I guess its job is to prevent the timing gear from coming off in the event you lose the crank pulley. Very unlikely situation lol. But that piece is not really necessary to put back if you damaged it beyond repair. If it still looks ok then you can bend it back and put it in. Only thing you need to watch for is when you pulled off the timing gear and bet that piece. Make sure you didn't break any of the teeth off of the timing gear. If it's missing any, then you have to replace the gear or else the car will run like crap.

As for bending valves, yes it can happen if you're not careful. If you had the crank set at the sub mark which is the yellow mark on the pulley when you spun the cam then you're ok. If it was on the white mark (actual TDC) then you may have bent the valves.

The best way to test if you messed up the valves is to do a compression test after you put the timing belt back on and have it timed correctly. If there is a low cylinder, then that's the one you bent. The other option is to use a leak down tester and test each cylinder one by one. Using the leakdown tester you can do the bent valve test without setting the timing belt back on. Just rotate both cams so that the cylinder you are testing has the valves closed on both sides.
Old 12-26-13, 05:30 PM
zchen101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeyc850
Why did you try to remove the gear?? That's not needed. Best of luck to you vvti gears are a ***** imo
I was thinking about replacing the crank seal but now I decide to skip it.
Old 12-26-13, 06:46 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zchen101
I was thinking about replacing the crank seal but now I decide to skip it.

My seals are leaking.
Old 12-26-13, 08:32 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You can bend valves if there's enough force exerted. A impact gun hammering away definitely qualifies as enough force lol. Normally just by hand turning, you will feel resistance and stop. Impact gun keeps going
Old 12-26-13, 08:56 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff,

Glad you weighed in on this one. I was about to change the TB on my '00 gs300. I was wondering about the front crank seal. I planned on changing the cam seals and the front crank seal only if it was leaking. I saw your videos on replacing the TB, cam seals, tensioners, WP, etc., but couldn't find the one about changing the front crank seal. Is there a video or do you have pics?
Old 12-27-13, 08:31 AM
LEX_GS4
Rookie

Your motor is non interference therefore will never bend valves.
just put the gear back on and re time it and youll be ok.

Quick Reply: Help, please -- messed up timing belt job