Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

WaterPump/Thermostat/coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 10:09 PM
dmsrated
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WaterPump/Thermostat/coolant flush

Is there any way to test the water pump is working properly. This is related to my earlier problem regarding coolant. Dont know where the coolant is going. There are no leaks. Right now I ended up putting water to get around short distances. The fans are working. I was going to do a coolant flush, does any one know where to let the coolant out. I was going to replace the water pump as well as the Thermostat, but want to make sure that could be the problem. I just recently checked, and there is barely anything at all in the radiator or the coolant reserv. WTF? where is going. I had pressure test done, and no leaks. Any ideas.
Old 12-30-08, 06:32 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

when is the last time you topped it off?
Old 12-30-08, 06:34 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

and there is a white drain nozzle type thing on the bottom right hand side of the radiator (facing the car)
Old 12-30-08, 07:43 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds stupid, try changing ur rad cap. i had another car before that was overheating and couldnt find where the coolant was going.

run ur car hot, and with the rad cap off, when i mean hot, is run it until the fans turn on. this will rid of all air bubbles in the system. just trying to help eliminate each possibility at a time.

no white smoke coming out of the tail pipe? i know its hard to see now that its winter, but u should be able to see just a crazy amount of white smoke (water/coolant getting into system due to head gasket) and u should be able to smell it too, (coolant smells sweet)

other than a noisy water pump, i cant really think of any other way to know if its working or not. maybe when u have the rad cap off, u can have a look into the radiator if there is flow or movement of the coolant.
Old 01-02-09, 01:11 PM
dmsrated
Rookie

I did, again, put more fluid in the radiator yesterday, and when I drove it to work today, I heard kind of like boiling noises, or sound that bottles make when air is going in and water coming out, and saw some fluid leaking on the bottom of my radiator, assuming thats where the fluid going. So I guess I will have to replace the radiator. Does any one have in pics on how to do so? I did put some radiator fluid in and truned the car on and did see flow of the coolant. Thanks........

I got out of work and filled the radiator w/ coolant and some in the reserv. But in only let me put in little, dont know why that is... So when I get home, must be like a 5 mile drive, I check the reserv, because of the boiling noise, and the fluid is to the top, and then starts decreasing, but this time its not leaking.. Should replace the thermostat as well when replacing the radiator.....How did this happen?????SH1111111TTTTTT.

Last edited by dmsrated; 01-02-09 at 04:00 PM.