Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: When I get to the point that I need to make a decision, what should I do?
Have it rebuilt by a reputable shop;
0%
Find & buy new 2jz short block;
42.86%
Find/buy the 1jz short block ASAP and start parts collecting for it;
0%
Jus save like crazy till I can do the entire 1jz swap;
14.29%
or stick with the 2jz and turbo it at a later date
42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions wanted for engine replacement ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 02:03 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions wanted for engine replacement ideas

Thought my seals were bad, they're not - my rings are. I'm depressed . My car is only stock, but it's still "my baby", so I want to treat it right hence the poll above.

What do you think I shoudl do/get? Don't need to move on any of this right now, but it is jus something to think about for the future; I'm also goign to talk to a mechanic tomorrow. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-23-03 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 02:09 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot something... what (if any) parts are interchangable between the 1 and 2jz's? thanks!
Old 10-23-03, 03:22 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How did the piston rings go bad on a 2JZ? Ask yourself that first. It might narrow some options for you.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-23-03 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 03:46 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

How would that help? The previous owner changed the oil @ every 8-10k miles... basically every time she had to take it to the shop for something. What would that tell me??
Old 10-23-03, 05:17 PM
AFGuy0127
Rookie

8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes? Umm, that's no good. The rule pretty much is to change the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles, not 8-10k... that's just way, way too long on an oil change... as far as engine options, I know that I'm going to do a tt swap... so in your situation I'd stay with the 2jz and turbo it later.
Old 10-23-03, 05:53 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by AFGuy0127
8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes? ... that's just way, way too long on an oil change...
Yea, I'm aware... I wish she hadn't done that, but oh well. It's still a sweet car and makes DAMN good power considering the low compression. I'd like to drive another stock SC3 in perfect mechanical condition to see if I notice a difference. Thanks for the input, guys!
Old 10-24-03, 02:45 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Yet another problem I jus found out about today... I have a "knock" when I first start my car when it hasn't been started in many hours. I didn't know what it was, thought it was jus a noise from being cold and not having oil yet. Well, it turns out it's the crankshaft vibrating against one of the main bearings. This is because there is too much tolerence in the block b/c of being worn down from lack of oil. The noise is made from the vibration w/o oil begin there.
Anyone know where I can get a 1JZ and/or 2JZ short block or even jus the block for cheap? I'm thinking about calling the Lexus dealership to see if they have any connections. Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks Again!
Old 10-24-03, 07:38 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Matt,

Sorry to hear about your engine. As I stated in the prior topic..at your mileage things can be very expensive from this point on. Make a decision about this car now...its still driveable and you sell it or trade for something more econ. Or, if you going to keep it....realize your dumping lots of money into this car and will never see it later.

Buy a new shortblock from Toyota or Lexus and install it......while its out...have the cylinder head redone. You will also need....

All new hoses, new waterpump and seals, new timing belt, new motor mounts, new trans mount, new trans front and rear seals, complete overhaul gasket set. That is the bare minimum...price this job around and make a decision on keeping the car or not.
Old 10-25-03, 12:40 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the parts list... yes, I DEFINATELY plan on keep this car, unless I trade it for another SC3 (doubtful with the problems it has). Do you know where I can get a block? Also, I was thinking about getting the 1JZ (hence the poll) and slowly collecting parts for it and jus wait till my current motor locks up or till I have enough parts for the swap. If I get the 1JZ now, I need to get heads to go with it, right? What else would I need that I could not pull off my 2JZ? I think in the very, very long run the 1JZ will save me some money. Someone on the this forum (can't remember who) said they get the 2JZ short block from a Lexus dealership for @ $700!! If that's true, I want to know where he got it from. Any ideas? Oh, and how much would the 1JZ block run me?? Thanks again, and feel free to rip into my ideas.
Old 10-25-03, 11:25 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

RST,

The only problem with the 1JZ is your getting a used engine and will have to do a complete rebuild of it before installing. Are parts hard to find to rebuild a 1JZ? Yeah, the 1JZ would be nice....but, I would still opt for the brand new 2JZ short block and redo the existing head during the process. Later, when you have more money to play around with...throw a turbo kit on the 2JZ and your set. Do a search or better yet call Steve Ganz CL vendor supreme......and get a price on a new shortblock.
Old 10-25-03, 08:26 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy a used engine for around 500-750, and get it installed for another 500.
Old 10-25-03, 08:44 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by AFGuy0127
8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes? Umm, that's no good. The rule pretty much is to change the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles, not 8-10k... that's just way, way too long on an oil change...
IMHO a prior owner did something much worse than long intervals. I bet they never checked the oil level itself, ever. The oil level got down 2 quarts or more and run that way, causing great damage.

No easy or cheap way out of this fix. IMHO, I would not keep the same engine. There is no reason to spend the $1,500 or more you are sure to spend just to get back to where you started. Granted, I don't know your available budget for this. But I'd sure be looking at a 2jz-gte engine as well. Good luck, I know how quickly these magnificant machines can get under your skin.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-25-03 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-26-03, 06:33 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
RST,

The only problem with the 1JZ is your getting a used engine and will have to do a complete rebuild of it before installing. Are parts hard to find to rebuild a 1JZ? Yeah, the 1JZ would be nice....but, I would still opt for the brand new 2JZ short block and redo the existing head during the process. Later, when you have more money to play around with...throw a turbo kit on the 2JZ and your set. Do a search or better yet call Steve Ganz CL vendor supreme......and get a price on a new shortblock.
Thanks Toy, that's the information I've been looking/waiting for!!

Originally posted by SCoupe
IMHO a prior owner did something much worse than long intervals. I bet they never checked the oil level itself, ever. The oil level got down 2 quarts or more and run that way, causing great damage.

No easy or cheap way out of this fix. IMHO, I would not keep the same engine. There is no reason to spend the $1,500 or more you are sure to spend just to get back to where you started. Granted, I don't know your available budget for this. But I'd sure be looking at a 2jz-gte engine as well. Good luck, I know how quickly these magnificant machines can get under your skin.
Your probably right about not checking the oil level... I keep a close eye on it, and it uses roughyl 1 quart per thousand miles, depending on how I drive it. "Good luck, I know how quickly these magnificant machines can get under your skin." <- Thanks, and UH HUH!!