Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Little shakey ... What to check for ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 07:35 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little shakey ... What to check for ?

Replaced my transmission yesterday ... I drove it up to 50 MPH and thru all gears on the jackstands, shifted smoothly, seemed fine, except there was this clicking sound. My friend said it was because there was no weight on the back wheels, so I disregarded the noise. Next ... went out for the test drive.

Shifted perfect still, everything seemed fine ... UNTIL I got on the highway ... starting at 70 MPH, I get a vibration ... you can feel it in the seats, the floor, everywhere... it isn't bad, but it is enough to notice. It does it in every gear, even if I put it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th, as long as I am above 70 MPH. I even took it up to 80 MPH and put it into neutral and it seemed to do it until the car got below 70 MPH ... so I am led to believe it is not in the tranny ...

We had markings on the driveshaft, and they are lined up fine. I noticed that one of my wheel balance weights was missing, so this morning I took it to my tire shop and asked them to rebalance the wheel, that didn't work either. It does feel like it is coming from the rear of the car, but it is difficult to tell. Tonight I guess I am going to pull the driveshaft back out ... just wondering if you guys think I should check anything simple before I start tearing back into it again.
Old 09-15-03, 07:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude,

Did u check your tranny mounts??

Jonny
Dx3
Old 09-15-03, 09:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

It sounds like the driveshaft just needs a little tweaking. the holes may be where they should be, but perhaps it is shifted slightly off center. has to be the balance of the shaft, that's the only other thing!
Old 09-15-03, 12:31 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

onelasttry ... yah, that is what I am thinking ... funny that it didn't happen the first 3 times the tranny was out tho

Dx3, thanks for the suggestion, but I got those right
Old 09-15-03, 12:53 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I'm curious how and where in Sam H you got your hands on another tranny so fast?? Nice work man.
Sounds like a balance situation - but I never been there before. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 09-15-03, 01:27 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I have this little problem of "not wanting downtime" ... I had some trouble finding a tranny, so I bought a whole swap. Now I have an extra 2JZ laying in my garage, hehe.

I will surely post after tonight/tomorrow morning when I find something out.

BTW, next time the tranny comes out, I think I am going to make a "How to remove an SC300 tranny with no air tools and no lift, in under 1 hour, while BLINDFOLDED" video lol
Old 09-15-03, 02:33 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally posted by Angel

BTW, next time the tranny comes out, I think I am going to make a "How to remove an SC300 tranny with no air tools and no lift, in under 1 hour, while BLINDFOLDED" video lol
Right on. It would make for a killer post at the least... with pics...
Old 09-15-03, 05:33 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angel stop driving until you get the car checked. I got some work done at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont and they did not put in all the bolts on the tranny mounts. The vibration blew my TT LSD (front part had about 1cm of play and an awful grinding noise).

Let me explain the symptoms.

Almost no vibration but a very slight whining noise at high speed.

Then louder noise at lower speeds.

The louder noise at all speeds.

Finally grinding noises all the time.

This all happened within a few days.

Last edited by Hermosa; 09-15-03 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 05:35 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

When I get off of work in 25 minutes, I am taking it home and taking it apart If it can't make it home, I will not be very happy, hehe.
Old 09-18-03, 07:29 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Should've never made this post There are 2 bolts with spacers around the middle of the driveshaft, I moved the spacers to the opposite side, thinking that was the problem, because that is the only thing I changed this time. Then we decided to check the driveshaft bolts ... 2 of them were loose enough to move with your hand. I have no idea why these weren't tightened in the first place, or, if they were, how they got so loose, but regardless, done deal. All better now
Old 09-18-03, 04:14 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

The last thing you need is your driveshaft to fall off while your driving down the highway!

that makes me want to check my bolts right now bc when i did the clutch i had a "smaller" friend attach the driveshaft in the rear (my shop b*tch and i need to make sure they have enough torque ....I had him use locktite though.

i like to do things by myself, but its a lot quicker when you have 4 hands instead of 2

Angel you have the 6spd? Just wanna know how long to expect my 5spd to last with my PT51
Old 09-18-03, 05:42 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

No sir, I am running a stock 5 speed. But just FYI, my original stock 5 speed survived 120+ dyno pulls, 8 track passes, hours of street tuning/beating, 30+ g-tech pulls, dozens of street races, and 7,000 miles total @ 450rwhp.
Old 09-19-03, 11:05 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

hey what's up angel i know this is a long shot but u think you might have damaged your rims/tires some how? I know this has nothing to do with your tranny but my friend thought it was something up with his tranny too but it ended up being his rims. He brang it into a shop to do a alignment and the shop told him the tire was dented in every corner. My friend said his car would start shaking around 60 and by the time he got to 75 his arm would hurt from all the vibrations lol. I know it's a long shot but just a guess =). i mean u do abuse your rims/tires a lot don't u?
Old 09-20-03, 03:25 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by Angel
Should've never made this post There are 2 bolts with spacers around the middle of the driveshaft, I moved the spacers to the opposite side, thinking that was the problem, because that is the only thing I changed this time. Then we decided to check the driveshaft bolts ... 2 of them were loose enough to move with your hand. I have no idea why these weren't tightened in the first place, or, if they were, how they got so loose, but regardless, done deal. All better now

mrshabo, see above
Old 09-20-03, 07:32 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Funny you mention that. We noticed a wheel weight was missing, so before we even bothered with the driveshaft, I took the car to my local tire shop and asked them to balance the wheel, because you could see there was a weight there and now it was missing. So he balanced the wheel and it was actually 1 OZ. HEAVY where the weight was normally at! So it would've been even heavier with the weight being there... regardless, they rebalanced the wheel and everything was still the same, that is why we decided to check the driveshaft. Problem is solved now because of a simple bolt or two