ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Strong vibration/jerking from front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 09:51 PM
bunksbbq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong vibration/jerking from front end

It started as I drove to work. Was at about 60mph when a slight vibration started in the front. The road was wet and a little rough. Soon the vibration grew to such an intensity that I almost thought I had a flat but did not. The front was jerking more than vibrating. This continued even as I slowed and left the highway. After pulling off, I check and saw nothing wrong with a tire. Was still close to home, so drove back. The vibration/jerking was gone or not very noticable. Got home and pulled the left wheel and found the outer tie rod was bad. Replaced that. Checked the other side and it seemed fine. Took it out for test drive and everything seemed good, till back on the highway and at speed it did the same thing. Started slowly and grew to a violent jerking. Stayed the same till once off the highway, I stopped and put the car in reverse a bit, and then started back up. No jerking. I did notice that the rotor on the left side has rust on its surface and the pads are in need of replacement. So my first guess is siezed caliper and warped rotor.

I am new to this car and it is my first front wheel drive so any help, suggestions or direction is appreciated.
Old 02-08-12, 07:41 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 ES had the same symptoms as you describe. Lexus dealer diagnosed problem as control arms and quoted $2000 to fix. Took it to my friendly neighborhood brake and alignment shop, and they found a bad caliper. Replaced both front calipers and rotors as well as replacing rear control arm bushings for less than $500, problem(s) fixed.
Old 02-08-12, 08:48 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and say seizing/sticking calipers. My 01 had the same issue.
Old 02-08-12, 12:13 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Another possibility is that one of your wheel weight balances fell off, so now one of your wheel could be out of balance.

Last edited by PFB; 02-08-12 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 08:00 PM
bunksbbq
Driver School Candidate

Started early and replaced caliper, rotor and pads all around. Noticed once the wheels were off that both cv boots are cracked. Looked up the R&R for those but figured I finish this first. Buttoned it up and took it out for a test drive. Started out great, brakes felt good. No vibration. Got on the freeway, came up to speed and there it was again. More of a violent shimmy than vibration. The whole front end is pulling back and forth, but mostly to the right. Got off and stopped. Reverse fine, but still shimmy when in forward. Drove back home with the shakes and while making that last right turn, heard a loud crunch on the right front. Pulled into the driveway with the clicking coming out of the right that says cv joint. Just to put a finer point to the matter, a final pop and I could hear the ball bearings rolling down the driveway. Ordered the half axles but have to wait till the weekend to do the job. Fingers crossed this is the one.
Old 02-11-12, 02:51 PM
bunksbbq
Driver School Candidate

Default Recap

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, Youtube videos are great. Just one hitch when separating the inside coupling from the drive shaft on the passenger side. Used a chisel to drive it apart. Two quick blows and it was done. Driver side came apart while pulling the axle to the side. Car no longer has the violent shimmy but still has some vibration up front. I'm sure thats a matter of tire balance. I'll get that done when I do the front alignment. Next big job is valve seals. Have to wait till next month to get to that. Thanks to all for their suggestions and help.