Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what clutch to get with these mods..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 11:19 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what clutch to get with these mods..

I am pulling my motor out tommorow to do a hidden nitrous install on my SC3 5-speed. And since I am going to have quite a bit more horsepower then stock with mods+nitrous, I was thinking I should replace the clutch.

This is what I have for mods so far...
Intake/Exhaust--
3" downpipe w/no cats
2.5" exhaust w/Bomz mufflers
EGT block off plates
Coolant bypass
Custom coldair intake w/K&N filter
AEM water bypass valve
CP breather filter
Ignition/Fuel--
300zx fuel pump (in tank)
Magnacor 8.5mm wires
NGK 3330 spark plugs
Drivetrain--
Supra TT LSD
Redline Shockproof gear lube
Supra TT rims

Possibly a stock supra TT fuel rail, injectors, and FPR. Along with a SAFC...

And a 100 shot of direct port is being put on. I have no dyno numbers to get any idea of what I should be running for RWHP so if anyone here could suggest a proper clutch for these mods within a resonable price range it would be greatly appriciated. NA-T guys?
Old 06-05-03, 04:06 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Check out horsepowerfreaks .com they have a nice setup for your dar that will hold up to 650rwp and is
slipable.
Old 06-05-03, 06:20 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

650rwhp??? I wish!!!! I've got this clutch. It's marginal in the 500rwhp range. It was polite at first but after the first time to the track, the clutch turned pretty chattery, and not very slippable. My impressions on this one have gone from great to ho hum after the track visit.
Old 06-05-03, 02:47 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Which version did you get i read in supraforums that people were very happy with this clutch let me know as i am about to order a new clutch .
Old 06-05-03, 08:01 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I should say, its ok. Its better than the RPS. Its semi-slippable, occasionally smooth, but usually chattery. Its just the nature of the beast. I'm happier overall than with the RPS. I got the HPF disc with the ACT plate. Overall its grippier, but I did have it slip on me already (once).

Its just that I'm at the stage where a dual disc setup (not dual diaphragm) would benefit greatly. Someone needs to come up with a twin stock disk setup with a center floater plate. That is my wish.
Old 06-05-03, 11:08 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Default clutchnet

I just got this clutchnet 6puck sprung disk w/ dual diaphram pressure plate in my 92...
they claim that it will hold up to 700rwhp. chatters constantly. even though i dont have the power yet, it seems to grip like hell. I have only had about 3 weeks on this clutch, so it isnt completely broken in

**MUST have strong left leg. **

but the clutch is cheap (i think a little over 500 retail)
i figured i would just use this until my tranny blows and i can get that bellhousing from the 1jz to slap in the 7m gte tranny..
Old 06-06-03, 06:21 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I probably would have been swayed to the Clutchmasters stage 4 with double diaphragm if it weren't for all the talk about the HPF clutch.

I just don't like the idea of twice the pedal effort. May be the only solution, though, since nobody will make a twin disc.
Old 06-06-03, 08:52 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Default Re: clutchnet

Originally posted by gotbooost
I just got this clutchnet 6puck sprung disk w/ dual diaphram pressure plate in my 92...
they claim that it will hold up to 700rwhp. chatters constantly. even though i dont have the power yet, it seems to grip like hell. I have only had about 3 weeks on this clutch, so it isnt completely broken in

**MUST have strong left leg. **

but the clutch is cheap (i think a little over 500 retail)
i figured i would just use this until my tranny blows and i can get that bellhousing from the 1jz to slap in the 7m gte tranny..
Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world using this clutch! Mine is holding up fine, daily driving 450rwhp Takes a bit to get used to, hehe, most people can't even attempt to pull out from a stop sign in my car
Old 06-06-03, 04:49 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Default twin disk?

someone gave me a quote of about 2000 bucks on a twin disk.. he said that tilton actually makes a twin disk for our tranny.. but then again he could be wrong. I just couldnt see myself putting 2gs into a clutch! (maybe into a 6speed, but who knows how long this tranny will last...)

hey angel did you have any throw out bearing problems?? it started making a little noise, but it was adjusted and now its fine..
Old 06-06-03, 05:41 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I wrote on the Supraforums that Tilton *may* have an application for us. Not sure though. I'd be tempted to pay $2000 for a rebuildable unit, if it means that I'd be able to rebuild for a reasonable amount.
Old 06-06-03, 06:37 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Default Re: twin disk?

Originally posted by gotbooost
hey angel did you have any throw out bearing problems?? it started making a little noise, but it was adjusted and now its fine..
Mine makes a little chirpy noise, sounds a little like a bird. Doesn't bother me one bit It isn't very loud.