Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who's done a cold-air intake? dyno charts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 03:43 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's done a cold-air intake? dyno charts?

I never got a chance to dyno just my cold air intake. Has anyone else with a cold air intake (filter isolated from the engine bay via a box or seal) dyno'ed their car and seen any positive response? I know a lot of people lost power with that cone filter setup, but as hot as the SC engine bay is it's pretty obivous that unless you live in the Arctic Circle you're not going to gain power. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I should bother putting my stock intake back on my car and seeing if it does better or worse. I don't think my car felt any faster before the chip and after the CAI was put on my car, but it's been so long I can't remember at this point.

The other important point here is that I think the filter type makes a difference too - the foam filter I use (the WR Dragon in this case) seems to be about as high a flow as humanly possible. On a dyno I've seen a open cell foam filter gain 6 hp over a K&N but again I never saw the original numbers.

Maybe the most helpful thing would be some dyno charts? Who besides the ALSC has posted 1UZ-FE dyno charts? I can compare them to my post-CAI pre-chip dyno run of 186 RWHP.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 06-02-03 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 10:18 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MadMax, I read this thread of yours a few hours ago, it was a lazy summer afternoon, and I had a relatively new Rotozip tool that I wanted to play with, so I went down to the garage and pulled out my old BFI airbox. I took the Rotozip to it and trimmed out a nice, big, clean BFI to drive against my Microbyte CAB + MAF + APC pod filter. First response is: wow! After driving with the Microbyte + APC intake combo for like a full year, and then switching to this, I noticed slightly improved acceleration with the standard BFI in the midband and upper end power. And then, being that my standard Toyota cotton panel filter was filthy, like it was filtering the airflow inside of an industrial vacuum cleaner, I took a trip down to Dublin Toyota and bought a TRD panel filter for the 4Runner/Supra/SC. It was $75, but I still pulled the trigger on it, and let me tell you!! It is worth it! My car launches off the line now. Remember all my posts about how slow and crappy the SC is off the line? Well it's a whole new story now. I accidentally did a burn out pulling out of my driveway an hour ago! The BFI is staying in place for sure! Maybe tonight or tomorrow, I'll start fashioning a more durable aluminum shield for the BFI. Right now I'm using this weird rubbery sheet used to pad linoleum and kitchen tile. Anyway, the BFI is thumbs up, and the TRD panel filter is thumbs way up! Just look at the TRD filter, it has at least twice the flow of the standard cotton filter. I compared them both brand new at the dealership. Tomorrow, I'm calling Carson Toyota to see if I can get it cheaper from them. Oh yeah, they are lifetime warranty filters too and more durable than the K&N panels. Part # 00602-17801-002 list $75.13.

PS: I now have a Pycrobyte heatshield, ImportToys MAF, and APC pod filter for sale
Old 06-03-03, 05:30 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex400sc
Hey MadMax, I read this thread of yours a few hours ago, it was a lazy summer afternoon, and I had a relatively new Rotozip tool that I wanted to play with, so I went down to the garage and pulled out my old BFI airbox. I took the Rotozip to it and trimmed out a nice, big, clean BFI to drive against my Microbyte CAB + MAF + APC pod filter. First response is: wow! After driving with the Microbyte + APC intake combo for like a full year, and then switching to this, I noticed slightly improved acceleration with the standard BFI in the midband and upper end power. And then, being that my standard Toyota cotton panel filter was filthy, like it was filtering the airflow inside of an industrial vacuum cleaner, I took a trip down to Dublin Toyota and bought a TRD panel filter for the 4Runner/Supra/SC. It was $75, but I still pulled the trigger on it, and let me tell you!! It is worth it! My car launches off the line now. Remember all my posts about how slow and crappy the SC is off the line? Well it's a whole new story now. I accidentally did a burn out pulling out of my driveway an hour ago! The BFI is staying in place for sure! Maybe tonight or tomorrow, I'll start fashioning a more durable aluminum shield for the BFI. Right now I'm using this weird rubbery sheet used to pad linoleum and kitchen tile. Anyway, the BFI is thumbs up, and the TRD panel filter is thumbs way up! Just look at the TRD filter, it has at least twice the flow of the standard cotton filter. I compared them both brand new at the dealership. Tomorrow, I'm calling Carson Toyota to see if I can get it cheaper from them. Oh yeah, they are lifetime warranty filters too and more durable than the K&N panels. Part # 00602-17801-002 list $75.13.

PS: I now have a Pycrobyte heatshield, ImportToys MAF, and APC pod filter for sale
So you did Peter Scott's BFI upgrade by cutting the front of the old airbox off? I have a K&N panel for my car that's pretty much new so I'll use that. I think I'll try it with the box front on, then try it with the box front off and the filter tied down. Keep me informed, I'll post tomorrow what happens with my intake. I do know that the K&N cone setup without a heat shield ran very warm, especially on hot days like today.
Old 06-03-03, 07:29 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

lex400sc,

Can you give us your impressions again in few days, especially after driving in hot and/or humid days?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-03, 01:18 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I just sealed off the aluminum shield on my bfi,it breathes through the opening by the turn signal,haven't been driving in stop-n-go traffic much,so who knows if it helped or not.
I noticed just as much of an improvement from polishing the ports a little as I did from adding the piggyback ecu,or the bfi.
One thing I keep questioning is why didn't weapon-r bypass the throttle body heater/coolant line when they dialed in the chip?
Old 06-05-03, 02:06 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

What good would that do? You want the chip on the car as it will be on the road, right? otherwise the settings won't reflect the state the car's in while you're driving it.
Old 06-05-03, 02:12 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, the stock intake seems to be just as good as the upgrade one, if not a little better. My conclusions are here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...657#post598657
Old 06-09-03, 06:54 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Less heat=more dense air=more...
Heated tb is for extreme cold conditions,unlike West Coast climate.
I tried to run the car with the tb coolant lines removed,and it was clearly too lean.
Old 06-09-03, 11:00 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCV8
Less heat=more dense air=more...
Heated tb is for extreme cold conditions,unlike West Coast climate.
I tried to run the car with the tb coolant lines removed,and it was clearly too lean.
So why would I run with the lines disconnected if it's too lean?
Old 06-11-03, 10:00 AM
SCV8
Instructor

More air,more power,but still need to tune the mixture to compensate.
Look at the higher-end performance cars;they do not use any heating of the intake tract.