Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question on emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 10:02 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on emissions

Good morning to all,
I know that the 95 - 00 sc is odb 2 and must pass emissions for an inspection in new york. What are inspection requirements for the 92-94 since it's an OBD 1 ?
Old 03-27-16, 11:04 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know its less stressful to pass emissions with obd1 and a swapped engine, but anything with obd2 will fail from them hooking up the ecu. obd1 is mod friendly
Old 03-27-16, 11:25 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

1995 is the last year for OBD1.

Old 03-27-16, 01:11 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

1995 is the last year for OBD1.

ran into an issue about that. Some say OBD 2 started in 95 but wasn't recognized until 96. Whatever, to be safe I wneed to get a 92 - 94 if I could avoid the emissions issue. Thanks but ur response didn't answer the question.
Old 03-27-16, 01:17 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by mikef
I know its less stressful to pass emissions with obd1 and a swapped engine, but anything with obd2 will fail from them hooking up the ecu. obd1 is mod friendly
Exactly, I did a swap on my 96, but now I can't get it re-registered cuz it won't pass emissions. Now I gotta cut some other corners.
Old 03-27-16, 02:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by pur4orm
ran into an issue about that. Some say OBD 2 started in 95 but wasn't recognized until 96.
The LS400 transitioned a year earlier, which is what confuses a lot of people. And once it's repeated a few times, that's what the next person finds when they research it...
Old 03-27-16, 06:22 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Thanks but ur response didn't answer the question.

Dude,

Don't be a smart ***, especially when you're wrong about something that's considered "basic knowledge".

Old 03-27-16, 07:20 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

Don't be a smart ***, especially when you're wrong about something that's considered "basic knowledge".

l asked a very direct question based on info I was given. So where u find me wrong , explain. Secondly, ur response was in reference to what yr carried obd 1 - 2. If I offended u in anyway, my apologies, that wasn't my intent. My question to u is ;what r the inspection requirements of obd 1 in NYS. My current set up will not pass emissions and I don't want to purchase another sc, build it and have the inspection issue..
Old 03-27-16, 07:33 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Good morning to all,
I know that the 95 - 00 sc is odb 2 and...

Dude,

'92 to '95 is OBD1, '96 to '00 is OBDII. Since you began your post with an error, it was important to me to alert you to the mistake since that could easily cause more errors for any future decisions you may make. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Don't worry about the status of our relationship; I will always love you.

Old 03-28-16, 08:32 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pur4orm,

1. 92-95 is ODBI

2. Winshield free of cracks (you can have a chip or crack >1" I believe). Wipers must exist, but don't have to work. All lights (headlight/tail/reverse) must work. Tires with good tread and decent brakes. That's it. No diagnostic or CEL performed. All of that can be overlooked by an inspector if they so choose.

I lived in NY the last 24 years until January.
Old 03-28-16, 12:23 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default Great

Originally Posted by tptpete
pur4orm,

1. 92-95 is ODBI

2. Winshield free of cracks (you can have a chip or crack >1" I believe). Wipers must exist, but don't have to work. All lights (headlight/tail/reverse) must work. Tires with good tread and decent brakes. That's it. No diagnostic or CEL performed. All of that can be overlooked by an inspector if they so choose.

I lived in NY the last 24 years until January.
Thanks a lot. All that emissions stuffs a hassle and I'm avoiding it as best I can.
Old 03-28-16, 04:48 PM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in the state are you boss?
Old 03-28-16, 07:16 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by tptpete
Where in the state are you boss?
I'm in Long Island.
Old 03-29-16, 05:58 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And why is that you can't look up emissions requirements for your state? I know it's really easy to do for TN. It tells me exactly what years and types of vehicles do and don't require annual emissions testing. It also varies by county, so be sure to look up your county specifically.

I wouldn't rely on heresay info to determine if I was going to pursue a build solely based on what some dude on a forum says is your state/county law.

And, I have a 95 SC400 (build date 12/94), it's OBDI. In my county, 1975 and newer street driven vehicles all have to be tested annually. OBDI as get the sniffer, OBDII cars get a computer check.

Last edited by emLEX; 03-29-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 11:01 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by emLEX
And why is that you can't look up emissions requirements for your state? I know it's really easy to do for TN. It tells me exactly what years and types of vehicles do and don't require annual emissions testing. It also varies by county, so be sure to look up your county specifically.

I wouldn't rely on heresay info to determine if I was going to pursue a build solely based on what some dude on a forum says is your state/county law.

And, I have a 95 SC400 (build date 12/94), it's OBDI. In my county, 1975 and newer street driven vehicles all have to be tested annually. OBDI as get the sniffer, OBDII cars get a computer check.
Simply put, NY is constant changing the rules. The documents say one thing but when u arrive, they say it no longer applies. They have also adopted the California state emissions requirements.

Quick Reply: question on emissions