Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bubbling water sound behind my dash board

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 06:26 AM
bmatic01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbling water sound behind my dash board

When the weather isn't below freezing I drive my car and hear this running water noise. It seems to be coming from behind the passenger side of the dash board. I don't know if it's trapped condensation or what. I was just curious if this has happened to anyone else and what the problem could be. My greatest fear is rust.
Old 12-18-15, 07:56 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It's coolant running through the heater core, that's normal. You've got some good ears to even hear it.
Old 12-18-15, 09:42 AM
VOrteneau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kris9884
It's coolant running through the heater core, that's normal. You've got some good ears to even hear it.
Seriously, my little brother heard it in mine after I'd had it for a year and it FREAKED ME OUT that his ears were that good.
Old 12-22-15, 09:12 PM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time you hear coolant flowing is when there are air bubbles in it. If you can hear a bubbling sound behind the dash that likely indicates a leak in the cooling system or a blown head gasket. These things can start VERY slowly and take months, sometimes even a year, to develop. Now, sometimes you can hear the actual flow of coolant but it is a steady hum, not a gurgling/bubbling sound, the cooling system is a closed system, the only way you get bubbling is when air has displaced coolant.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyGee (02-28-23)
Old 12-24-15, 08:47 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

You might have some air trapped in the heater core. I suggest parking you car on a steep incline (hood facing up).Let the car cool down. Take the radiator cap off, and let the car warm up (with heat ON) until coolant starts to run out of the radiator neck. Turn off car. Then put rad cap on, and drive off. Keep adding coolant to the overflow tank until it's above the hot line when running.
Old 12-27-15, 03:34 PM
bmatic01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
You might have some air trapped in the heater core. I suggest parking you car on a steep incline (hood facing up).Let the car cool down. Take the radiator cap off, and let the car warm up (with heat ON) until coolant starts to run out of the radiator neck. Turn off car. Then put rad cap on, and drive off. Keep adding coolant to the overflow tank until it's above the hot line when running.
Cool I will try this in the near future. I was hoping it wasn't anything critical that would destroy the car. I'll try to remember to post how it went.
Old 12-29-15, 08:44 PM
jdmsoarers
Driver School Candidate

soloist3 - is on the right track... Did you recently do anything with the cooling system .... Oil looks clean and at the right level... Heater core is the direction I would be looking
Old 02-28-23, 10:58 AM
JohnnyGee
6th Gear

Originally Posted by soloist3
The only time you hear coolant flowing is when there are air bubbles in it. If you can hear a bubbling sound behind the dash that likely indicates a leak in the cooling system or a blown head gasket. These things can start VERY slowly and take months, sometimes even a year, to develop. Now, sometimes you can hear the actual flow of coolant but it is a steady hum, not a gurgling/bubbling sound, the cooling system is a closed system, the only way you get bubbling is when air has displaced coolant.
How can I confirm that this is a head gasket issue? Should I replace the head gasket myself or do I need to have the mating surfaces refinished? Thanks!