Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FYI: Replacement/upgraded gearsets for R154 now available in USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 12:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts
Default FYI: Replacement/upgraded gearsets for R154 now available in USA

Hello all,

This is merely to let folks know here that, other than the extremely expensive and rare OS Giken gear sets made for R154's, there is now, finally, the US availability of PGS's quality aftermarket gear sets in standard or dog engagement, plus the option for fully custom 1-5 ratios.

As those in the know are aware, you can't buy replacement gears for R154's from Toyota any longer (especially 3rd), which previously meant a broken R154 has to use cannibalized gears or be scrapped. I believe these gears have been rated up to 850ft-lbs at the wheels (there is an engine dyno video available showing this).

This is an EXTREMELY expensive solution to this issue and as such will certainly not be for most... but at least there now is a solution available in the USA. Previously you'd have to ship your R154 to Europe to have this service done.

I am posting this simply to make the information available to anyone interested as R154 transmissions have suffered this weak point in parts availability for some time now. I am not affiliated with the companies in question, nor will I link you to their websites. It's not hard to find them.

Here is the SF thread concerning this. It's a good read if you go back to the beginning and see how this even came about. Post #189 on page 8 has the pertinent information.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...r-Shafts/page8

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-24-15 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 04:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Good Info Craig... thanks .

Exactly the reason why I was staying away from R154s ... parts availability aside from the lower power handling compared to the V160 6speed. Even the topnotch re-builders like Marlin Crawler and Jacks transmission had stopped working on them because of parts.

Now with those PGS gearsets , looks like they will be able to hold +1000rwhp. For those not planning to push over 500rwhp ,the stock R154 will do the job and for those who want more and want it reliable , that indeed is a good option.

I was just looking at the costs involved with this option though. Please don't get me wrong . I don't mean to discourage anyone about this new options for the R154 which is really great. Just want to share my $0.02

The synchro mesh is $3900 (dogbox $4900) , install $650, shipping back & forth $400, cost of an R154 $500-1000, plus other costs ..... isn't that going near the cost of a brand new 6 speed V160 which is more robust and can hold more power ? And with more power comes more internal pressure. I wonder though what happens now to the R154 pushing fluid out of the shifter or pushing the rear seal out. Will it be worst ?
Old 04-24-15, 06:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

This is excellent information! I never knew about this problem with the R154. I was considering getting an R154 but I think I will go with a built auto transmission instead.
Old 04-24-15, 07:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

they should just make it a 2 speed with giant gears and a 80mm turbo should do the trick.
Hi and low it would be perfect like that sega game.
Old 04-24-15, 04:44 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by gerrb
Good Info Craig... thanks .

Exactly the reason why I was staying away from R154s ... parts availability aside from the lower power handling compared to the V160 6speed. Even the topnotch re-builders like Marlin Crawler and Jacks transmission had stopped working on them because of parts.

Now with those PGS gearsets , looks like they will be able to hold +1000rwhp. For those not planning to push over 500rwhp ,the stock R154 will do the job and for those who want more and want it reliable , that indeed is a good option.

I was just looking at the costs involved with this option though. Please don't get me wrong . I don't mean to discourage anyone about this new options for the R154 which is really great. Just want to share my $0.02

The synchro mesh is $3900 (dogbox $4900) , install $650, shipping back & forth $400, cost of an R154 $500-1000, plus other costs ..... isn't that going near the cost of a brand new 6 speed V160 which is more robust and can hold more power ? And with more power comes more internal pressure. I wonder though what happens now to the R154 pushing fluid out of the shifter or pushing the rear seal out. Will it be worst ?
Gerrb, you make very good points. Yeah, this is an amazing option we now have but the cost easily gets into V160 territory. The stated reliable power holding with synchromesh gears is supposed to be 1,200whp/850ft-lbs as shown on a dyno. But that was generated by an overbuilt 7M-GTE.

Trans oil pressure at the tail shaft and shifter housings... I'm aware it's been an issue for some at very high horsepower levels. I don't know but SFS should have an answer to that since they do so much work on our three manual transmissions.

... But no argument here when looking at the cost pros and cons between this and a V160 swap. You'd have to really want to use the R154 or need to for some reason (i.e.: MKIII Supra owners).

Also, well before 1,200whp a pricey twin-plate or triple-plate clutch is near mandatory... but a V160 would be no different in that regard.

Compared to no replacement gear sets / shafts though, this is great. I don't plan to break mine but I feel a bit better knowing this.

Originally Posted by Kira X
This is excellent information! I never knew about this problem with the R154. I was considering getting an R154 but I think I will go with a built auto transmission instead.
Kira, you'd have to be pushing a lot of power to the wheels and shifting very ham-fistedly before the risk of a 3rd gear failure would ever come up. Doing a rebuild with the MC 1st gear thrust washer, MC front bearing retainer and MC/DM billet shift forks along with new bearings future proofs 85% of R154 users.

You should go with the gearbox that best suits your style though

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
they should just make it a 2 speed with giant gears and a 80mm turbo should do the trick.
Hi and low it would be perfect like that sega game.
One 2-speed manually shifted PowerGlide coming right up, Ali

Actually I have thought of one other crazy future use for this option. And it will be both sacrilegious as well as out of place for basically all SC owners An SC EV conversion using a Warp 11 DC motor which can put out about 280-300whp with the right batteries (which, as of this writing, even at their best still suck royally) and high performance controller. The torque from 1 rpm would be enough to stress even an MC built R154 with a 3.26 rear end. With 850ft-lbs+ holding though, I think it would do fine.

Extremely hypothetical and unlikely, that

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-24-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
One 2-speed manually shifted PowerGlide coming right up, Ali
If I can use this shifter I am 100% on board.
From the Original Outrun arcade game.
Old 04-28-15, 03:23 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Haha. Done! Including the Sega branded shift ****