Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Help, Cant figure out starting issue on SC300 1J

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 10:37 AM
504SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, Cant figure out starting issue on SC300 1J

I have a 98 SC300 with 1jz swap , single turbo, r154. I have had various issues since I have had the car year now. Mostly have been simple fixes. This one problem has me very frustrated however. So here is the rundown....

I stop for lunch with my daughter, shut car off as usual. Left doors unlocked. Came back out 30 minutes later, went to start and nothing. No crank no click no nothing.

Dash lights up, radio comes on, fuel pump starts up. When I turn to start, the dash lights go out except for the needles.

Battery reads at 11.9v per my SAFC. Lights do not dim when trying to crank it.

I recently replaced the starter with a new reman from Pep Boys about 3 months ago.

Battery was replaced with a Yellow top Optima about 6 months ago.

Main starter wire from Battery was also replaced.

Starter relay seems good, clicks under hood when trying to start.

Pulled every fuse I could find, nothing is blown.

The only thing I noticed different was when I originally shut the car off before going to lunch I noticed the tilt up and away feature magically worked. It had never worked before. Maybe just a coincidence I don't know.

Not sure what else I need to check here. This is my daily so I am stuck without transportation. Any help or advice is much appreciated people. Thanks !
Old 12-12-14, 11:15 AM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 SC300 - Same Thing

Originally Posted by 504SC
I have a 98 SC300 with 1jz swap , single turbo, r154. I have had various issues since I have had the car year now. Mostly have been simple fixes. This one problem has me very frustrated however. So here is the rundown....

I stop for lunch with my daughter, shut car off as usual. Left doors unlocked. Came back out 30 minutes later, went to start and nothing. No crank no click no nothing.

Dash lights up, radio comes on, fuel pump starts up. When I turn to start, the dash lights go out except for the needles.

Battery reads at 11.9v per my SAFC. Lights do not dim when trying to crank it.

I recently replaced the starter with a new reman from Pep Boys about 3 months ago.

Battery was replaced with a Yellow top Optima about 6 months ago.

Main starter wire from Battery was also replaced.

Starter relay seems good, clicks under hood when trying to start.

Pulled every fuse I could find, nothing is blown.

The only thing I noticed different was when I originally shut the car off before going to lunch I noticed the tilt up and away feature magically worked. It had never worked before. Maybe just a coincidence I don't know.

Not sure what else I need to check here. This is my daily so I am stuck without transportation. Any help or advice is much appreciated people. Thanks !

I had the same happening on my 99 SC300. I first replaced the contacts on the original starter but it did it again. This time I replaced the whole starter (one from O'Reillys) and it's been working every since. Its been a few months since I've replaced the starter.

I have also purchased a Yellow Top too.
Old 12-12-14, 12:27 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Though it may have said "reman" I doubt it was done correctly. Sounds like the contacts are having issues. Did you get a warranty with the reman?
Old 12-12-14, 01:00 PM
504SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Though it may have said "reman" I doubt it was done correctly. Sounds like the contacts are having issues. Did you get a warranty with the reman?
Yes I did get a warranty. Sucks to have to pull that thing out again. It was a pain in the ***. Would be my luck though.
Old 12-12-14, 01:03 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 504SC
Yes I did get a warranty. Sucks to have to pull that thing out again. It was a pain in the ***. Would be my luck though.
You have the 1jz swap...wow, that will prove to be nasty...
Old 12-30-14, 12:02 AM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you figure it out?? My car did the exact same. Almost all of the dash lights went off and it wont start!
Old 12-30-14, 07:37 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee44
I had the same happening on my 99 SC300. I first replaced the contacts on the original starter but it did it again. This time I replaced the whole starter (one from O'Reillys) and it's been working every since. Its been a few months since I've replaced the starter.

I have also purchased a Yellow Top too.
When you go in there to do the contacts, it's best to do the solenoid(the big magnetic plunger) as well while you're in there. As the solenoid tends to go out around the time the contacts go. You can buy a solenoid at the dealer and probably at a few parts places. I got mine at the dealer for ~$50 if I remember correctly.