Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

4th Solinod cut on my 96 OBD2 CEL Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 08:25 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 4th Solinod cut on my 96 OBD2 CEL Help please!

Hey everyone!

Disclaimer: I have read this entire thread 3 times and I can find a solution of OBD22
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...it-s-free.html

I did the 4th solenoid cut mod on my 96 sc400. Has anyone else on OBD2 done this? Incredible gain from this I just can't believe it, but the issue I have is the CEL is on and the Trac won't turn off (I had this happen when my cats went bad). I have this wire cut on a switch so I can move shift smooth when I want

The code that is coming up is P1765 and you can clear it, but once you switch the wirecut back off it pops up again

1) Id love to ether find a way to keep the CEL light off (so that I can keep TRAC on if i so desire)

2) an alternative if #1 is impossible I would like to wire up a switch to reset the PROM of the ECU so that it clears the code. Ether by wiring a controller to the OBD2 port or having it wired to the EFI fuse location. Has anyone attempted anything like this?

Im thinking this would allow me to stop the car, flick the switch on, wait 30 seconds and flip it off, then start the car without the code so I can drive in the rain without getting sideways

Thank you everyone for you help!
Any incite is appreciated
Old 10-24-14, 08:59 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I think I mentioned it somewhere, but maybe the thought never left my brain... What about wiring your switch to the CEL signal itself to keep the bulb from lighting up? You'd have to figure out which wire to the instrument cluster is for that, and then cross your fingers that it's only that one signal and that interrupting it won't freak the ECU out.
Old 10-24-14, 09:34 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Thanks for the reply!

I thought about that but I would really like to actually Clear the code all together when I turn the Solenoid back on. This way when I get real CEL issue that I actually see it!

Do you know if any OBD2 "Quick clear" devices? one that maybe you just plugin and click a button then it clears ?
Old 10-24-14, 09:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Eww, so the code remains once the solenoid signal is restored?

I'm OBDI, so I have no idea how to help you on that stuff. And as you've no doubt seen in the solenoid bypass thread, you're pretty much in uncharted territory trying to make it work on OBDII.
Old 10-24-14, 10:02 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Bring it on! I love the challenge

And yes with OBD2 the Check engine light stays on, and the TRAC control shuts off (turning on a light)
This is great when in power tranny solenoid mode (Sounds dirty) but after its off it would be nice to quickly reset the computer and get trac back
Old 10-24-14, 11:29 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TyStephens
This is great when in power tranny solenoid mode (Sounds dirty) but after its off it would be nice to quickly reset the computer and get trac back
I'm not so sure about obd2 but depending on the amount of times you do this it may (or may not) have an adverse affect to your computer. It's your car do as you please but I don't think that acceleration off the line (squatting) is worth a new computer. But then again I could be completely off lol
Old 10-24-14, 12:00 PM
TyStephens
Rookie

Originally Posted by Slaker13
I'm not so sure about obd2 but depending on the amount of times you do this it may (or may not) have an adverse affect to your computer. It's your car do as you please but I don't think that acceleration off the line (squatting) is worth a new computer. But then again I could be completely off lol
Thanks for the concern! From what I have read no one has suffered issues to the ECU. Essential all we are doing is removing hte signal that would be going to the ECU so I don't see how that would fry anything in there.

I could see damage to the transmission or surrounding parts but everyone seems to have had good results
Old 10-24-14, 03:19 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TyStephens
Essential all we are doing is removing hte signal that would be going to the ECU so I don't see how that would fry anything in there.
Oh alright, sounds a lot safer now haha Well good luck and hopefully you get this straightened out or someone can help you with this
Old 08-12-16, 10:47 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Just to update everyone on this, Ive been using it for almost two years now with no ill effects. I hooked up the two switches for this mod. First switch runs to a relay that cuts the signal to the solenoid.
The second switch connects to a relay in the fuse box, connected to the ECU fuse. This allows me to Turn off the car, flick the second ecu cut switch, turn the key to accessory, then turning the key off, closing the switch back and starting the car.

This resets my ECU in a matter of seconds, removing my check engine light and regaining my trac control. Kinda a weird solution to the issue, but it works!
Old 08-12-16, 01:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Props for the imaginative, if not overly complex, solution! I'm OBDII now, so reading along with more interest...
Old 08-12-16, 02:17 PM
TyStephens
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Props for the imaginative, if not overly complex, solution! I'm OBDII now, so reading along with more interest...
That's funny because I actually just bought a second Sc400, that is ODB1 Now I no longer have to worry about all the fuse with this one haha! Here is a horrible picture of my switch setup. 1) For solenoid bypass 2) ECU / CEL reset 3) Radar detector kill switch 4)+5) are currently blank

Old 08-12-16, 05:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ Ironic! Wow, I'd be flicking the wrong switch constantly.