Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VVTI Feedback Needed: NA-T or GTE

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 07:34 AM
SC3_Dred
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If we are talking swaps most swap it to a manual or use a gte auto trans that came with it. I don't know any swap that someoe re-used the GE trans with a gte motor.

on na-t maybe people have had it hold 400, but for how long?
300 to 350 now that sounds more doable with a cooler.
400+ range is what the gte auto's can handle.

The gte trans will have a larger toque converter and more clutch packs than the n/a auto.
I dunno where you got 400whp on the GE trans, 400hp will surely destroy it its just a matter of time.
shimming will only take the pressure off from shifts and the cooler can only help so much when you start laying power down with the smaller internals.

check out this thread now that clubna-t is back online. some good info here and there
http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=4145
That was a good read and cleared things up quite a bit. I think the solution on the tranny side will be for me to use the guts from the TT box in the NA tranny, or swap over the valve body setup from the NA tranny into the TT box (still doing research on this). I wonder what the aftermarket disks installed in the TT box would support?
Old 10-17-14, 07:47 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the consensus is that non-vvti is tried and true. The bottom end is stronger, more cam options, and the wiring and tuning is simple.

Either way good luck with your build!
Old 10-17-14, 09:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

For what they cost there is no reason not to start with a Gte auto trans. Im not saying running the GE won't work, but I wouldn't have it in any build plans, I would just use it for the time being until you choose the setup that will work for the long run.
Old 10-18-14, 02:18 PM
SC3_Dred
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I think the consensus is that non-vvti is tried and true. The bottom end is stronger, more cam options, and the wiring and tuning is simple.

Either way good luck with your build!
I agree that the non vvti gte setup is tried and true. However when it comes to the gte, vvti and non-vvti use the same bottom end. My car came with the vvti motor, so I want to keep it vvti and the gte vvti seems like the best option, especially when using the stock gte vvti ecu and tranny.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
For what they cost there is no reason not to start with a Gte auto trans. Im not saying running the GE won't work, but I wouldn't have it in any build plans, I would just use it for the time being until you choose the setup that will work for the long run.
I agree!
Old 10-18-14, 04:05 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like youve already made up your mind and are set on it, whats the point of this thread?

also I like your choice of cars.
Old 10-19-14, 09:06 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3_Dred
I agree that the non vvti gte setup is tried and true. However when it comes to the gte, vvti and non-vvti use the same bottom end. My car came with the vvti motor, so I want to keep it vvti and the gte vvti seems like the best option, especially when using the stock gte vvti ecu and tranny.

I agree!
It's not the same rods and pistons, but for a conservative goal should work fine.
Old 10-20-14, 02:13 PM
SC3_Dred
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PseudoK
Sounds like youve already made up your mind and are set on it, whats the point of this thread?
also I like your choice of cars.
Thanks! I'm a bit hooked on the late 80s/90s cars. The thread actually clarified a lot, which helped me decide, especially on the tranny choice.