My LS3 swap into my SC300 went on hiatus when I picked up a Z06 back in November, but now that I'm going to back to school I'm selling the other toy and will be keeping my SC for the daily commute. I considered selling it and leasing a new car so I could have something "reliable' and worry free since I'm going from making a decent living back to making peanuts while I'm school and didn't want to worry about a car breaking down. Not to mention, I'm averaging about 18MPG with it.
In the end, I already bought the CCW's for the car and they really won't fit on anything else, I can't see taking a loss on the wheels just 8 months later so I'll be keeping it and just taking care of any maintenance items (preventative as well) so I can try to have it as worry free while I'm back to being a broke college kid.
So, in turn here comes maintenance items. She is currently at 120k and I feel I need to do the following....
- A/C Compressor (leaks)
- Hood/Trunk Struts (on order)
- Radiator (cracked) - hoses while I'm at it
- Timing belt/Water Pump/Seals/Thermo
- Brakes (already have bracket for C6Z06 calipers for front, will be doing Supra TT for rears)
- Coilovers (rear wheels touch stock strut assembly at full travel)
- Headlights - since my current headlights resemble DRL's (dismal is an understatement)
- Connect the 97+fogs that are on the car, with true HID's
- Fix the seats - either new leather skins, better shape replacements, or "luxury" style Recaro/Corbeau's
- I'm assuming I have the typical lowel control arm wear problem, since I have a POPPING noise when I brake/back up & brake for the first time
- Passenger side dimming mirror is starting to "bleed"
- Rear sub cover plastic is cracked in a million pieces
- Tranny/Engine mounts - I notice A LOT of movement from the shift handle during hard braking (sometimes even pops to neutral when cold)
- Other suggestions? I'm thinking Trans flush, rear end fluid, fuel filter, cabin filter...
The radiator, hoses, timing belt, water pump, seals, & thermo is pretty straightforward. The same with the brakes - I'll need to source C6Z calipers, SS lines, IS-F rotors, TT rear calipers, etc. I'll buy these parts over the next month or two and do the work myself. I assume there is also a DIY thread on doing the timing belt job on this 2JZ.
My current question is on the AC components. RockAuto sells a kit with the AC compressor (GPD Brand?), receiver drier, all seals, and expansion valve for $310. APW sells just the compressor for $250 (Denso brand). Any suggestions on which of the two may be a better bet? I'd like to order these either of these this weekend as I'm done dealing with the heat, haha.
For the headlights, I have a few bookmarked threads on the DIY for the retrofit...I'll take my time with that once I have the AC/TB/WP/Rad done. I suppose the fogs are buried somewhere in there too.
Seats - what's the consensus? Katzkin replacement covers? Junkyard dive for replacement seats? I'd really like a nice "sport-luxury" seat from Recaro or Corbeau buttt that would likely have to wait til I'm making money again.
LCA - From my past reading I understand I can use the Supra part number replacement part fot the front control arm. I think its the driver side that's worn out as that's where I feel it clunk the most.
Trans mounts - Is this a common occurrence for these to wear out? My current rotors are warped and while braking I can see the shifter move quite a bit, and I can feel it when I rest my arm on it while driving. Please correct me if this isn't out of the ordinary.
Anywho, I'm not a newbie to forums and I completely understand the search function hence why I'm not asking HOW to do any of these items...but rather for those of you who have already been there and done that to point out any little things I may be overlooking.