Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reconditioning my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 10:15 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconditioning my SC300

My LS3 swap into my SC300 went on hiatus when I picked up a Z06 back in November, but now that I'm going to back to school I'm selling the other toy and will be keeping my SC for the daily commute. I considered selling it and leasing a new car so I could have something "reliable' and worry free since I'm going from making a decent living back to making peanuts while I'm school and didn't want to worry about a car breaking down. Not to mention, I'm averaging about 18MPG with it.

In the end, I already bought the CCW's for the car and they really won't fit on anything else, I can't see taking a loss on the wheels just 8 months later so I'll be keeping it and just taking care of any maintenance items (preventative as well) so I can try to have it as worry free while I'm back to being a broke college kid.

So, in turn here comes maintenance items. She is currently at 120k and I feel I need to do the following....
  • A/C Compressor (leaks)
  • Hood/Trunk Struts (on order)
  • Radiator (cracked) - hoses while I'm at it
  • Timing belt/Water Pump/Seals/Thermo
  • Brakes (already have bracket for C6Z06 calipers for front, will be doing Supra TT for rears)
  • Coilovers (rear wheels touch stock strut assembly at full travel)
  • Headlights - since my current headlights resemble DRL's (dismal is an understatement)
  • Connect the 97+fogs that are on the car, with true HID's
  • Fix the seats - either new leather skins, better shape replacements, or "luxury" style Recaro/Corbeau's
  • I'm assuming I have the typical lowel control arm wear problem, since I have a POPPING noise when I brake/back up & brake for the first time
  • Passenger side dimming mirror is starting to "bleed"
  • Rear sub cover plastic is cracked in a million pieces
  • Tranny/Engine mounts - I notice A LOT of movement from the shift handle during hard braking (sometimes even pops to neutral when cold)
  • Other suggestions? I'm thinking Trans flush, rear end fluid, fuel filter, cabin filter...

The radiator, hoses, timing belt, water pump, seals, & thermo is pretty straightforward. The same with the brakes - I'll need to source C6Z calipers, SS lines, IS-F rotors, TT rear calipers, etc. I'll buy these parts over the next month or two and do the work myself. I assume there is also a DIY thread on doing the timing belt job on this 2JZ.

My current question is on the AC components. RockAuto sells a kit with the AC compressor (GPD Brand?), receiver drier, all seals, and expansion valve for $310. APW sells just the compressor for $250 (Denso brand). Any suggestions on which of the two may be a better bet? I'd like to order these either of these this weekend as I'm done dealing with the heat, haha.

For the headlights, I have a few bookmarked threads on the DIY for the retrofit...I'll take my time with that once I have the AC/TB/WP/Rad done. I suppose the fogs are buried somewhere in there too.

Seats - what's the consensus? Katzkin replacement covers? Junkyard dive for replacement seats? I'd really like a nice "sport-luxury" seat from Recaro or Corbeau buttt that would likely have to wait til I'm making money again.

LCA - From my past reading I understand I can use the Supra part number replacement part fot the front control arm. I think its the driver side that's worn out as that's where I feel it clunk the most.

Trans mounts - Is this a common occurrence for these to wear out? My current rotors are warped and while braking I can see the shifter move quite a bit, and I can feel it when I rest my arm on it while driving. Please correct me if this isn't out of the ordinary.

Anywho, I'm not a newbie to forums and I completely understand the search function hence why I'm not asking HOW to do any of these items...but rather for those of you who have already been there and done that to point out any little things I may be overlooking.

Last edited by RicoLSX; 05-29-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 09:14 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Nice to see another local on here, can't wait to see an lax swap done more locally.

Motor mounts and transmission mounts are common to go out on our cars. I recently replaced my engine mounts with Kazama poly mounts, and left my oem trans mount, since I doing a 5spd swap and it's a world of a difference.

For seats, we have a lot of options supra mkiv, or you can do what I did I bought some s2000 seats with modified mounts for a sc/supra.

What color is your SC, I have a pair of decent silver side mirror I'm trying to sell.

Also if you need one, I have a spare sub cover you can have for cheap.

For the lower control arms, you can just replace the bushings if your ball joint is still good, you missed out I recently sold my lower control arms that had poly bushing in it to a buddy.
Old 05-31-14, 09:52 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

The madness begins. I just ordered my AC compressor last night and IS-F rotors a few minutes ago. I picked up some Sachs struts for the trunk earlier today too. C6Z calipers and KW's to come next week...now to figure out what stainless lines will work with the C6Z. Maybe any for the SC will, I just haven't searched to well yet.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into engine/trans mounts in the next couple of days. My SC is that metallic sand color, thanks for offering your silver one though! My sub cover is that tan/brown color. How much do you want for it? I left a message with the local Lexus parts dealer but you can PM me with some info, if its in good shape I'll get it off your hands.

When I have the wheels off for my brake/suspension I'll examine the LCA's and see if I need the whole assembly or if bushings will do the trick. I'm thinking I may need it based on how bad it pops.

I'll be finishing my current degree plus adding a second major, so my LSX swap is on hold for quite a while HAHA.
Old 06-01-14, 09:00 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It you're actually going to go through with the lsx swap within the next couple years the cheaper compressor should get you by since you'd be replacing it anyways shortly, so that'd be where I'd go for that.

Lca's are another story. The supra ones are your best bet as the bushings are a little firmer, but not like super stiff in comparison as some whiners think it takes away from the mushy Lexus feel they love (which doesn't go hand in hand with performance IMO). I would definitely buy both and do them at the same time. I've had experience replacing the bad side (well worse than the other side haha) with a really solid low mileage lca only to have the previous good side go within a week due to all the forces getting put onto the now weakest link. Prob not the best way to put it, but the path of least resistance gets the energy channeled to it, so the side with more slop will see most of the abuse which will accelerate its deterioration. While you're there do the cheap poly rack bushings which in conjunction with new lcas will make a world of difference.

Often times, the uppers are shot too. Wanna say I bought a pair of the uppers from rock auto for around $140 for both which completely cured the issues I was having with the car. The nickel and dime show to make these cars like new really turns into dollar fest quick haha, but if it's something you plan on keeping and can swing it, it's totally worth doing as ****ty front end plus lowered will give weird handling characteristics and ****ty tire wear as well
Old 06-01-14, 09:01 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to do the cam and crank seals while you're in there for the timing belt, new distributor o ring is a good idea as well as new valve cover gaskets
Old 06-03-14, 04:44 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Sweet, thanks for the heads up on the UCA/LCA Vrank. I'll do all the front seals while I'm in there for the TB.