Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Manual boost controller not working possible bad Wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 10:41 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual boost controller not working possible bad Wastegate?

I installed a generic Ebay manual boost controller and it didn't do much, I couldn't get it to increase boost. So, I bought a TurboSmart MBC, still nothing I feel a slight difference getting up in RPMs faster but boost is still around 8-10lbs. I got it hooked up just like the manual shows.

turbo------>>> MBC arrow to ----->>> bottom port(not top) to wastegate

Is there a way to test my wastegate, the port where the boost controller goes?
Old 04-28-14, 11:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

should just be going to the side port, have you tried increasing the boost via the manual boost controller yet.
it should make it spool faster if set the same as your wastegate, and if set higher than your wastegate then it should also raise the boost. setting it below the psi for your wategate will make it seem like its not doing anything.
Old 04-28-14, 11:26 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
should just be going to the side port, have you tried increasing the boost via the manual boost controller yet.
it should make it spool faster if set the same as your wastegate, and if set higher than your wastegate then it should also raise the boost. setting it below the psi for your wategate will make it seem like its not doing anything.
Its hooked up to the side port and I have been trying to dial it out to gain more boost but it doesn't seem like its doing anything but it does feel like it spools up a tad quicker. I probably have it turned 10-12 clicks to increase and still nothing

Is there anything I can do to check if the side port is functioning?
Old 04-28-14, 12:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If it holds 8-10 psi then your wastegate is functioning. If the vac line wasn't hooked up properly you would just keep building boost. maybe you need to keep turning it.

If you have an air compressor or a bike pump you can put it on the input to the boost controller, and under your psi setting it should not let any air out the other side, but above a certain psi it should output to the wastegate.