Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ST92 300 1jz STRANGE PROBLEM! Car stalling while driving please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 07:00 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST92 300 1jz STRANGE PROBLEM! Car stalling while driving please help!

Hello forums!

I have an interesting problem I am requesting help on from you all.

I have a 1992 SC300 5 Speed with a 1jz swap 196,000 on the car 20,000 on the 1jz by me unknown miles prior.

Stock twins, extra blow off valve on charge side, greddy turbo timer, hid lights, issues didnt appear after any of these items being installed...

Problem Was driving to work the other day and got about 4 miles from home and put my blinker on to change lanes to get into the lane at a stoplight to get on the freeway. My car began stalling as son as I applied my blinkers in tune with the blinkers lighting on off on off I turned the binkers off and restarted the car started driving and turned the blinkers on as I was accelerating and the car would stutter severely to the blinkers on off on off..when I turned the blinkers off the car imediately returned to running ok...turned the blinkers on again to test it and it did it again, and same thing happened...turned my headlights on a few miles later and the car stalled immediately gas pedal did nothing and turn the headlights off car immediately came back to life. Same day when driving to portland for a business meeting from seattle and about 5 miles into my drive I went to turn my headlights on and car cut out again like earlier...in 5th gear going 65 on the freeway i would push on the gas and no response at all nothing...no compression from being in gear either turned the headlights off and immediately it comes back to life...then the whole rest of the way home it would do it with either the use of blinkers or headlights...at idle at a stoplight I turned the lights on to test what would happen and the idles dropped immediately and car stalled...starts right back up.. Pulled into autozone and they tested the alternator and battery and battery tested at 12.75 volts and good alternator read 14.5 volts and tested good as well. Limped it home....Later that night and earlier the next morning I went to drive my car and it ran normal both times...Went to drive it home from the hotel and about 20 miles into my drive I experienced the stalling when used the blinkers to change lanes and the headlights would create the issue to...Frustrated me all the way home...Drove fine to work this morning no issues...however on the way home I was having the issues again...Battery still tests at 12.74 volts on my multimeter.

I am completely stumped..Cannot find this issue in the forums or any forums google services...

Anyone know what this could be?

Driving me nuts!

Also been having power steering issues for a few months now and I cant solve the issue...I have replace the hard line with a driftmotion one, replaced the pump, resovoir, hoses from res to pump are new...LAtest is it seems to work fine until the car has been driving for about 15 minutes and then it starts to whine ...and i have jerky powersteering when I go to turn and it whines hella loud...Let the car cool and start it up...no whine power steering works just fine...Power steering fluid gets REALLY hot...

ANd finally the last issue I have is when I start my car up pretty much everytime now it does a idle surge of about 300 rpm...up and down up and down for anywhere from 5 times to 20 and then smoothes out...sometimes if I turn my headlights on the idles smoothes out immediately as well but not always...This issue has been with me for about 6 months, used to happen very sparatically but now happens pretty much every startup... I have taken the ecu apart and check for leaking caps and they and the boards looks great...Please anyone with any knowledge or help for me, I surely would appreciate it. Its so not fun driving my car when I am experiencing issues.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-14, 05:56 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Nobody with even an idea on any of this???
Old 04-09-14, 03:15 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Cant believe I stumped the forum...Bump for one last shot at some help here.
Old 04-10-14, 09:29 AM
matsushima
Driver School Candidate

When the car dies do the lights get really dim, like their is a severe load being put on the electrical system? You might have some power wire grounding out on one of your circuits. That's the only thing I think that can cause such a stall, but if circuits are fused like they are supposed to be, I would think you would pop a fuse when these shorts occur.

For reference I had a 1992 Toyota Cressida and when I turned the lights would go dim and the car would stall. Turns out it was my power wire from my amp shorting on my seat bracket.

You should use a multimeter and test to see what kind of load is being put upon your charging system when the lights are turned on. I would test at the battery, look for voltage drop and see how many amps the circuit is pulling....
Old 04-10-14, 05:53 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Thanks Matsushima! Gonna go check out the amp wires in my trunk right now...and look around the car for anywhere I might have a loose power wire...Car was running fine last couple of days minus the idle surging at startup and the power steering whine...But the stalling issue with power draw was gone...then today it did it again coming home...surged with the blinkers and then a few minutes later went into a stall while driving until I turned the headlights on...then immediately everything was okay again...wierd problem thats for sure... Hope I get it figured out.
Old 04-11-14, 03:30 AM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your map sensor.
Old 04-11-14, 06:31 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

I unplugged the map sensopr while the car was running and it immediately wanyted to die...plugged it back in and went back to normal...I also unplugged the IACV as well and nothing changed...I repeat there is no change in idle or how the car runs when I unplug the IACV part number 22270-46030. Could this be my culprit? ANy one know of where to get one affordable? Looks like they are 400-600 on the net and very scarce...