Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

To The Point Exhaust Opinions Only!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 10:48 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To The Point Exhaust Opinions Only!!!

What's up guys,

This site is to useful. So, useful that I get to much information and not the basic stuff (lol). Here it goes ALL I WANNA KNOW IS WHAT IS THE VERY BEST COMPLETE EXHAUST SETUP I SHOULD GET FOR MY SC400 (PRICE MEANS NOTHING). I have a 92 SC400 and want a complete HEADERS/HI-FLO CATS/PIPE (please specify size, 2'5" or 3" whichever you's feel is better)/MUFFLERS/X OR H PIPE, which ever will perform best, AND ANYTHING ELSE I'M MISSING.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHERE TO GO FOR THIS STUFF THAT ANYBODY LISTS (WHICH I HOPE EVERYBODY HELPS ME OUT ON CAUSE I HAVE SEEN TO MANY OPTIONS BUT NOTHING 100% COMPLETE).

Things my car will have: Don't see getting a 5g turbo if one ever does come out, I will have a complete cold air/ram air intake, and I will be getting my ECU chipped, and I will be getting a torque converter. SO WHATEVER EXHAUST SETUP YOU GUYS CAN RECOMMEND WOULD BE AWESOME. I really wanna get this purchased asap so I can pop this baby on. It's just that I have seen to many things on this site and would just like people to come out and say WHAT IS TRULY THE BEST.

NOBODY BUT CL GUYS CAN HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP NOW.

My email is bladez42598@aol.com or easier just post it on this thread so everybody can get info from this thread.

Thanks a lot guys
VINNIE
Old 01-15-03, 03:21 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Umm, it's going to kind of hard for any one of us to tell you what the end-all "BEST COMPLETE EXHAUST SETUP" is considering the fact that 99% of us have only ever installed ONE aftermarket exhaust system on our car. That plus the fact that the "best" is subjective. If price means nothing, then what does? Performance? Sound? Appearance? The latter two are very personal opinions. Anyway, I think Peter Scott is the only one here with a "complete exhaust setup", and his ride sounds pretty mean with a pair of cheap Lukeys.
Old 01-15-03, 09:15 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's what I'm doing; have all but the Xpipe and will install within a month or two:

Tex's Headers -> Dr. Gas X-pipe -> (2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426) -> (2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators -> (2) Dynomax Ultraflo main's -> TRD Tips

Should sound nice, all 2.5" straight through design.

Good Luck. Tex's headers are the only ones available. I've looked into others, none are ever available for purchase. The quality is quite nice, but wiring the money to Australia was not cheap.

Keith
Old 01-15-03, 04:31 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I am new here and I have a few questions. I hope you don't mind but I am researching what I should be doing for my '96 SC400.

1. Do you know what the X-pipe does? I have been wondering why folks don't run true dual exhaust?

2. I see that you will be running:
Tex's Headers -> Dr. Gas X-pipe -> (2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426) -> (2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators -> (2) Dynomax Ultraflo main's -> TRD Tips

Can you tell me how much each piece of the system costs?

3. I see that you are running:
(2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426) -> (2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators -> (2) Dynomax Ultraflo main's ->

A lot of folks just run straight from the headers to a pair of mufflers. Why all the stuff inbetween?

4. Are you not running any cats?

Many thanks!

Brad

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-15-03, 08:35 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Here is my exhaust:

http://members.optushome.com.au/acti.../V8Exhaust.htm

There are links to sounds etc from main page.

No muffler will ever make the SC sound like a Ferriari as we have a different crankshaft. Ferrari has a flat plane crank -sounds like 2 four cylinder cars - our car has the smooth cross plane crank - same as a mustang etc.

I have modified exhaust cams as well which also changes the sound and the rate of rise and fall of rpm as well. These didn't work at all until I fitted the headers. Every mod I did made little increases, then I fitted the headers and Bang - the whole lot worked and I get the biggest increase in power by miles.

http://members.optushome.com.au/acti...ds/crackle.mp3

the above is a link to a small 46 kb mp3 of my car getting a rev.
Old 01-15-03, 11:53 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by hiyabrad
Hi there, I am new here and I have a few questions. I hope you don't mind but I am researching what I should be doing for my '96 SC400.

1. Do you know what the X-pipe does? I have been wondering why folks don't run true dual exhaust?

3. I see that you are running:
(2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426) -> (2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators -> (2) Dynomax Ultraflo main's ->

A lot of folks just run straight from the headers to a pair of mufflers. Why all the stuff inbetween?

Many thanks!

Brad

Thanks!

Brad
You didn't ask me and Keith can chime in with specifics but I can give some insight.

X pipes are similar in function to Y pipes and H pipes. All three attempt to improve the flow through the exhaust system. By exposing the flow and reducing reversion all three tend to increase low RPM torque.

X pipes are good for cars that need dual 2.5" pipes because a Y pipe would need a single 3 inch pipe from the merge back and many cars cannot easily fit a 3 inch pipe around suspension without loosing ground clearance. H pipes do a similar task but are not usually as effective as the X design. Of course it depends on the execution of the COMPLETE system.

Every engine and exhaust combination should be tuned to the application. Most people do not have the resources to do this so they purchase parts, install them and hope for the best.
All the other components are designed to keep noise down, minimize backpressure and produce a proper sound.

Pricing? For just the parts, depending on where you buy them, not including installation... here is an estimate:

Tex's Headers: apx $750 with ceramic coating, shipped from Aus
Dr. Gas X-pipe: apx $180 aluminized http://www.drgas.com/street-cat.html
check out Y pipes and explanation at above link
(2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426): ??? $200 for pair?
(2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators: apx $80ea x 2
(2) Dynomax Ultraflo main's: apx $120ea x 2
TRD Tips ??? $100 for the pair?

Parts alone, apx $1650
Installation?

Not cheap.
Old 01-16-03, 12:11 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Actually that info was almost exactly what i was looking for PERFORMANCE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME. That and I don't wanna sound like a rice rocket.

My only Questions left now are: Who has info to contact Tex about purchasing headers and what are some good HI-FLO cats to consider besides what was posted.

Thanks for the feedback so far if anybody else has any PERFORMANCE suggestions please feel free to do so.
Old 01-16-03, 01:44 AM
hiyabrad
Driver

"Every engine and exhaust combination should be tuned to the application. Most people do not have the resources to do this so they purchase parts, install them and hope for the best.
All the other components are designed to keep noise down, minimize backpressure and produce a proper sound."

Thanks for all the info jbrady (I don't know your first name). It is VERY helpful!

Can you tell me a bit more about tuning for the application? Are you refering to selecting spoecific pieces for street, track, etc., or length of pipes, distance between components?

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-16-03, 01:24 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by hiyabrad
Hi there, I am new here.......

The X-pipe is still a true dual exhaust BTW. Since I too lazy to type, here is a cut and paste from Dr. Gas' website :

All V8 engines with 90 degree cranks, have an out of sync imbalance in their firing order between the right and left cylinder banks. The firing order imbalance is a necessary sacrifice for dynamic balance of the rotating and reciprocating crank, rods and pistons. Each time the firing order is completed (two full revolutional), two cylinders within each bank will fire and exhaust within 90 degrees of each other. These two cylinders will be exhausting into the header collector or exhaust manifold almost simultaneously. This overlapping condition creates a lot of back pressure and a pop sound. Meanwhile, the opposite exhaust manifold has no activity (or pressure) in it at all. This is where the characteristic, low harsh popping V8 sound comes from.

The most common way of reducing this out of sync imbalance is with rebalancing crossovers such as H pipes and over-and-under X style crossovers. These provide both noise reductions and efficiency (power) improvements. H pipes are effective only at low and mid range. The over-and-under X crossover works a little better but still does not completely rebalance the exhaust at high RPM.

Dr. Gas, Inc. has developed a new generation of crossovers that uses a tangentially siamsed junction, in place of the H or over-and-under X. It evenly splits, smoothes, and synchronizes exhaust pressures at all engine speeds. The high and low pressure pulses in the two pipes are evenly imposed on each other, leveling out the pulse time history pressure differences between right and left cylinder banks. Re-synchronizing the exhaust pulses reduces back pressure, cancels sound, and provides additional scavaging. Tests have sound 6 dBa (75%) reduction in sound levels, and increases of 10 to 30 hp, and up to 40 ft-lbs. of torque! Economy, and throttle response are improved. Exhaust flow after the crossover is completely smoothed out. The job the headers started is finished.

One of the most appealing benefits of this system is the modified exhaust note. The deep growling and popping sound is replaced by a higher pitched smooth sound. The exhaust note is similar to a 180 degree header system without the nightmare of tubing.

jbrady did a great job of summing that up - see above!

3. A lot of folks just run straight from the headers to a pair of mufflers. Why all the stuff inbetween?
The 1UZ was silented by a very sophisticated yet restrictive exhaust system from the factory. Replacing factory components to open up the exhaust allows for the exhaust note to become extreemely loud. Simply removing the small resonators makes a huge increase in sound. My intentions were to replace every stock component with a free flowing alternative. The stock system has a lot of "stuff" on it, so I will replace a lot of "stuff". Its not cheap, and the hp gains don't really constitute the cost, but I'm looking for a specific sound, and would like to keep the exhaust open enough for future supercharging if a kit comes available. I'd hate to have to re-do this again, so I'm just doing it right the first time.

No.

Heres a quick rundown of what does what:

Headers replace OEM exhaust manifold and cats.

X-pipe replaces factory Y-pipe

(2) Magnaflow presilencers (10426) will compensate for the loss of the two cats. Cats really quiet down an exhaust, so these straight through presilencers will mainly drop out high frequencies, yet still allow an increased sound to pass.

(2) Edelbrock RPM Series (5500) to replace stock resonators

(2) Dynomax Ultraflo replace the factory main mufflers.

I have still removed the single front muffler (comes after the Y-pipe and before the resonators). I have not replaced it with a compensating sound suppressor. This will make the car louder from stock, but the tone will be nice.

I hope this info has helped.

Keith
Old 01-16-03, 02:36 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

Keith - Excellent! Thanks for all the info and your time. It is greatly apprecaited.

Brad
Old 01-16-03, 06:18 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Keith you have answered exactly what I was looking for when I created this post. I'd like to thank you for the email you sent along with the helpful info you have posted.

Thanks A lot

Vinnie
Old 01-16-03, 06:37 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Tests have sound 6 dBa (75%) reduction in sound levels, and increases of 10 to 30 hp, and up to 40 ft-lbs. of torque! Economy, and throttle response are improved.
The above is the quote from the Dr Gas site.
It is advertising blurb only.
There are no references.
It is not a comparison to a Magnaflow x-pipe.
It is similar to washing powders making clothes "whiter and brighter"
Sounds great - but it's not an independent test.
Old 01-17-03, 12:00 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

So, do you think the magnaflow X-pipe would be better than the Dr.Gas one? if so are there any specs on them, just curious.
Old 01-17-03, 04:33 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I don't know if one x-pipe is better than another. The Dr Gas x-pipe's look very high quality indeed - very well made.

I have been in cars with custom x-pipes made on site with a gas-axe - but my impression has been that they had greater resonance than my stamped Magnaflow x-pipe.

The x-pipe versus H-pipe versus no-pipe story has been decided in the x-pipe's favour several times by independent testing.

X-pipe "A" versus X-pipe "B" tests - haven't seen any yet.
Old 01-17-03, 04:55 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Keith, is it legal in Orlando to delete the two main cats? Will your car pass smog inspection? That is my main limiting factor in redo'ing my entire exhaust system.

Pete, do you know if Dynomax and Lukey are one and the same because I'm after a meatier exhaust tone, similar to yours. Not sure if I'll be able to get those headers though ...

Quick Reply: To The Point Exhaust Opinions Only!!!